Home Forums Bike Forum Rigid 29er mud tyres

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rigid 29er mud tyres
  • Stablebarns
    Free Member

Currently drifting around on my rear 29 x 2.3 Minion SS.

I thought it would be cool to see how long I could keep the same set up. But the local forest gets sooo wet in winter. The rigid 29er is a dream in so many minimal ways, but I figure it’s time to see what it’s like with a decent rear gripper.
    Much as I love drifting, the rooty climbs, which this bike is amazing at in the dry, are starting to feel like I’m on one of those roller trainers.

I have never been a wether specific tyre guy. I run normal Minions (Front and back) on my other bikes all year round.

But the winter feels like it’s going to be long and wet.

Anyhow, this rigid Spesh Chisel with Selcof forks, has a WTB Vigilante 2.5 on the front. The WTB seems quite well spaced and doesn’t clog easy.
    But my main interest is in the rear. But I’m keento know if these things are best done in pairs (mud tyres I mean). I’ve not ridden a tyre narrower than 2.3 in a long time and I’m a bit concerned about the lack of cush a narrow tyre would have, as I’ve no bounce except my arms and legs. But apparently a lot of people like 2.0 in mud. Maybe running narrow tyres in the winter isn’t so bad as the ground is softer?

As always, any thoughts and experiences much appreciated.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I love a 2.0 maxxis beaver when it’s proper sloppy but I’ve just swapped a mezcal for a minion ss as a winter tyre for all purpose riding.

Stablebarns
    Free Member

The minion SS is amazing. The side knobs really work. I really loved it up to this point when the trails in my woods have turned into mud rivulets.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Go for a beaver then, really great tyre. If you try hard and are very lucky you might get the 2.2″ version they made briefly but whatever you do get the EXO version.

Do not get exc As you will just tear holes in it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rigid 29er mud tyres’ is closed to new replies.