Home Forums Bike Forum Riding through forearm tendonitis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Riding through forearm tendonitis
  • 13thfloormonk

Not sure if I’d posted about this already, apologies if so.

Think I’ve developed a sort of golfer’s/tennis elbow double whammy.

Not sure if from gripping bars too hard on the gravel bike, lowering bars on all bikes (to the surprising happiness of ongoing hip and low back pain) or just poor posture on bars (have noticed am very guilty of dropping/over-extending wrists).

Either way, feels like a period of rest and healing required. Hoping I can just spin it out on road bikes whilst remaining conscious of hand position on bars. Going to speak to physio about how and when to start strengthening as it feels a bit tender to start with the dumbbells just yet.

Anyone else suffered this but managed to ride through it? Or is it back to a month of couch to 5k while it heals? 😭😭

joshvegas
    Free Member

get a pair of togs or knock offs,tiny wee hooks for your thumbs. I love mine.

hazel123
    Free Member

I’m not sure on the biking aspect, but have had tendonitis before and golfers and tennis elbow and it is usually caused by ergonomics, yes – a combination of posture and awkward angle usage.

It would be an idea to rest the area until it’s improved – I’d suggest using ice packs as well. Physios vary – some are good with gentle stretch exercises some don’t have a clue. So maybe get a recommendation? But from my experience first thing is to stop doing what caused it and rest – it might wear off in a few days but come back as soon as you do the same thing. It might take a couple of weeks.

But icing can help a lot. Gel ice packs for the freezer (or a bag of frozen peas in the meantime). The gel ice packs are good as you can fasten them on with velcro and get them in the right place.

Helps speed up the healing process in the first few days.

Then it’s looking at the ergonomics so it doesn’t come straight back again. IME it’s to do with reach for the fingers as well as angle of the wrist. So maybe adjust lever reach and height of handlebars.

It can start with trapping in the wrist area (carpal tunnel) which goes down to the fingers and up to the elbow. Or sometimes it can start at the neck area if the neck is at a bad angle and work down the arm. But all posture related.

Hope that helps a bit. You could try working through it but it could get worse – then takes longer to get better.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Riding through forearm tendonitis’ is closed to new replies.