Home Forums Bike Forum riding getting colder

• This topic has 48 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • riding getting colder
  • fathomer

I ride all year, mtb & road but hate winter, it’s the darkness that I hate most! The cold doesn’t bother me that much but not a fan of rain and mud either.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You need steeper downhills

I do but steeper hills would not solve this issue. You need to experience clay mud to see how your wheels will not rotate no matter how steep!

benp1

Roadie clothing works very well on the MTB with the following exceptions

– might be more fragile so won’t like being crashed in

– sometimes won’t like getting caught in brambles etc

– will get caked in rubbish

I tend to wear roadie stuff for commuting (on the road) in and for MTB it’s outdoorsy clothes on my top half (base layers, softshells, waterproofs), sometimes with a cycling jersey and then cycling clothes on my bottom half

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>I’d say that April, early May is the best</span>

April was not a good month this year. It was muddy. May was definitely good.

There have only been 3 good months this year where bike cleaning after every ride has not been required: May, June and July

On average there seems to be 3 to 4 months where it’s trails are very dry, it is not always the same months every year, can be any from April to October.

kerley
    Free Member

I am okay with winter for the first 2 months but after that start to get fed up with putting on all the clothes to keep warm (plus whatever I do I can’t stop my toes getting cold)

IdleJon

April was not a good month this year. It was muddy. May was definitely good.

True. But this year has been a little unusual. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

(plus whatever I do I can’t stop my toes getting cold)

Flat pedals, VXI Fivetens a half size too big, merino socks under kneehigh sealkinz, tucked into bottom of kneepads.

None of that big brass heatsink on the bottom of my shoes, thank you very much… :-)

kerley
    Free Member

Flat Pedals on a fixed gear with no brakes – no thanks.

Gunz
    Free Member

After so many years hating Winter I decided to embrace it last year, my thoughts being that the cycling life is finite and anything is better than nothing even if I’m just bimbling.  This simple change of mindset has rid me of all foreboding – long live just popping out for a bit.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘riding getting colder’ is closed to new replies.