Home Forums Bike Forum Riding Accomplice required Now (well in the next couple of hours) Mid Britain

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Riding Accomplice required Now (well in the next couple of hours) Mid Britain
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Right, sat at home trying to work out where to go with my pass out. As ever, was too tired to organise anything yesterday. Can’t decide whether to do the 2 hour slog to Snowdon (2 degrees C at the summit) or whether to do this Peak District Route http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/13-hollinsclough.html

Did the MBR Killer loop in the Clwyds last weekend and some monster in Hexham the week before.

Currenty charging the lights in the hall.

c’mon, someone must be going somewhere…… 1pm start, 6pm finish perhaps :-)

PS. I know Manc isn’t mid Britain, but I couldn’t think of a succinct way of saying Peak, North Wales, Moors in 10 characters or less.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

PS. I’m not as incompetent as this topic would suggest.

jekkyl

Sorry I can’t join you but some parts of that Hollinsclough route are awful and you’ll regret it. Although some parts are great. There’s much better routes to be had round ladybower to the north. Have you been there before?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi Jekkyl,
    You know what, I’ve just been highlighting the route onto my OS 1:25k map (old school me) and it looks shit. It just seems to be endless roads. I think you may be right. Either way I’m feeling deeply uninspired by it.
    But the kids maths homework is taking longer than expected and Snowdon is 2 hours away. Wonder what Snowdon is like as a night ride.

alone

In January

hmmmm

Ladybower you say. Yes been there a few times. Just wanted to try something new.

jekkyl

I’m going to pm you..

martinhutch

Wonder what Snowdon is like as a night ride.

alone

In January

hmmmm

We’ll look forward to the Mountain Rescue report!

Go to Ladybower. Loops of all lengths to suit your timings.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

That was absolutely bloody excellent. I managed to find someone else as slack as me and we finally left Manchester with an odd assortment of lights just after 2pm. Was already getting dark as we headed up out of llanberis.

We did the classic route in reverse which worked brilliant. Up telegraph valley was a good warm up and quite involving in the dark in places. Up the ranger path was mostly a carry
    The wind high up was horrendous. I had to put my snood on as my eardrums were really hurting. Thought they were going to pop. Blowing an absolute hoolie at the summit. Coming down the tourist path was mental. The gusts would blow you all over the place. Had my dropper down even on the flat bits. Ended up walking quite a few bits. Then we got back below the clouds and let rip a bit. loved it.

Always quite taxing but always on the correct side of epic which is where I like it these days. The rain stayed off but we still got quite damp in the clouds.

So much infinitely more fun the tedious bog snorkelling round Northumberland or the Clwyds that I did recently.

Right helvellyn,skiddaw, high street next.

brant
    Free Member

Love reading this. Properly inspirational Saturday. Good work.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Love reading this. Properly inspirational Saturday. Good work.
    +1
    ‘LIKE’

timbog160
    Free Member

Nice one 👍

thegeneralist
    Free Member

wind & cloud

thegeneralist
    Free Member

second try

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ranger path on the way up:

Ranger

thegeneralist
    Free Member

thegeneralist
    Free Member

oh **** me. How does this work?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Summit.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

right. Sorry. Please note that the video above is pointless without sound. TBH even with sound it’s pretty rubbish, but gives an idea of conditions.

Another not great video of the descent. Possibly the slowest ever descent of the tourist path:

jekkyl

Absolutely class. Still think you’re both nutters.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry, just trying to preview another thread

chiefgrooveguru

This is excellent.

duncancallum

Fair play!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Riding Accomplice required Now (well in the next couple of hours) Mid Britain’ is closed to new replies.