Home Forums Bike Forum Riding a Tandem respect to riding one offroad on techie stuff

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Riding a Tandem respect to riding one offroad on techie stuff
  • postierich
    Free Member

Just had an evening riding a Sonder Tandem what a hoot ,but damn had some butt clenching moments! Proper work out body aching on the arms and legs seem to be fighting the bloody thing all the time but eventually got the flow going .Dubbs Limefitt Wansfell and Jenkins Cragg was the route with a well earned beer at the YHA

https://www.strava.com/activities/2480494142

65588890_10157528426021474_8922729188037754880_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

65290220_10157528425501474_4666642543046295552_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

65039011_10157528425826474_5896303469576323072_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

Poopscoop

Would scare the hell out of me….. But also looks like amazing fun too!

tjagain

I can’t find the clips now but there is at least one pair doing full on DH riding on one. toughest we have done is GT red

tjagain

Miss the first half of this unless you are interested in how they made the bike.

Dickyboy

It’s a laugh tho isn’t it 👍 fancying racing them too?

Bunnyhop

We rode ours for a year or so when I was suffering from cfs. This is a few years ago now.

Yes the captain has to wrestle it around, up and down. Also giving out instructions to me the stoker was a must, because of course on the back you can see much at the front.

It was a lot of fun but sometimes a type B enjoyment (which is only realising after the ride is over and you’re still in one piece that it was good :0) )

We’re planning on getting the old girl out again for a pootle around the red route at Llandegla this summer.

Those photos are great.

nbt

Tandems are a proper good laugh

Now we have a proper road tandem, we’re about to restore our Dawes to off-road mode

Tons Delamere ride 022

EDIT – as Bunnyhop has just posted. I think the grin above shows it’s not ALL Type B, it can be enjoyable while it’s happening

@Chipps
    , it might be time for another Tandemania meet

kayla1
    Free Member

Tandems are brill, we only use ours for pub/cricket flat bridleway bimbles though, I’m not brave enough to venture anywhere close to proper off road on it :lol:

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Awesome, they are an absolute hoot offroad. the long wheelbase and extra weight means they allow you to plow through stuff with confidence, rock gardens, river crossings, roots etc are easy. Biggest challenges are getting the stoker to trust the pilot and dealing with sharp corners due to the much wider turning circle. I’ve fitted 150mm cranks to the back of mine so I can take my kids out and scare them silly.

shotaway
    Free Member

I’ve taken by tandem down Barry knows best Surrey hills quite a hoot… Only as a captain tho…

Dickyboy

@nbt what is the axle to crown length on those forks and how did it effect handling – we’ve a dawes of the same model and I’ve held off fitting suspension forks for fear of getting too adventurous offroad 🤔

tjagain

YOu can get away with lifting the front end a lot more on a tandem than a solo because of the wheelbase – and a high BB gives ground clearance. Mine was built as a rigid bike but now has a 150mm fork on it – front BB is 16.5 inches static ( but less sagged) flop is a bit of an issue but not too bad.

Dickyboy

Ta TJ will give it a go sometime soon. 👍

scotroutes

TJ – do you not have a copy of the photo I took of Julie and yourself on the freerider area at Glentress?

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

They are great fun. We go all over the country with ours.

Tandem video

tjagain

scotroutes

TJ – do you not have a copy of the photo I took of Julie and yourself on the freerider area at Glentress?

nope.

Have you?

TheBrick
    Free Member

That NZ couple are crazy. Fair play.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Riding a Tandem respect to riding one offroad on techie stuff’ is closed to new replies.