• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Restaurants in Wimbledon village
  • geoffj

Been to the Dog & Fox, Fire Stable and Cote. Any others worth trying? The Butcher & Grill is on my list, but has very mixed reviews.

Ta

kilo

The Butcher and Grill shop sold me a scotch egg with a raw pork surround. When I took it back the cashier mentioned it to the cook who when asked if the rest on display were like that replied “hope not” and walked off completely disinterested – so I’ve never bothered with the restaurant. we don’t realy bother with the Village for restaurants they all seem to be just chain clones now, lydons was nice but now gone.

Have you tried Canizaro House, not been there for a few years and it was a bit hit and miss but under different ownership now. Also the Fox and grapes on the common was ok for food but it’s been a few years since I was there with that as well (menu looks quite nice so may give it a go http://foxandgrapeswimbledon.co.uk/static/F&G%20Set%20Lunch%20Menu.pdf)

geoffj

Thanks Kilo – I’ll cross the B&G off the list – your experience isn’t unique apparently.

The Fox & Grapes looks worth a punt.

cjmcevoy
    Free Member

Worth a mention are the Crooked Billet and Hand In Hand pubs at the end of Southside Common.

Only 5-10 mins walk from the village alongside the common and both are great, esp. at this time of year.

Great beer, great hearty food and big open fires

Both have pub areas and dining rooms so can be dressed up / down as you like.

clubber
    Free Member

Worth a mention are the Crooked Billet and Hand In Hand pubs at the end of Southside Common.

Ah, that brings back memories of school 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Had a stonkingly good meal at The Lawn some weeks back. The Côte de Boeuf was superb (has to be ordered for two).

geoffj

Had a stonkingly good meal at The Lawn some weeks back. The Côte de Boeuf was superb (has to be ordered for two).

That looks very nice actually.

*shuffles off to iron the skinny jeans

kilo

clubber – Member

Ah, that brings back memories of school

Yes lunchtime drinking in the castle (now the firestable and used to be a right toilet)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@geoffj

😛

clubber
    Free Member

kilo – that was too far from school 🙂

kilo

kilo – that was too far from school

That’s why we went there 😉 Kings or Wimbledon College (or god forbid Ursuline Convent school)?

clubber
    Free Member

King’s. you?

kilo

King’s. you?

wimbledon college, drunk jesuits a speciality

clubber
    Free Member

LOL. no wonder you lot were always so keen for a scrap 🙂

tuuga
    Free Member

I like the “Swan” on Ridgway. Really nice pub and friendly atmosphere.

atlaz
    Free Member

What’s wrong with rolling down the hill and having a fight in the Walkabout or the Alex eh? It’s a Wimbledon tradition

drofluf
    Free Member

Had a very good meal in the Carlucchios there. One of the best in the chain that I’ve been too.

The Steak Frites at Côte is very good as well. Simple bistro food but good value

br
    Free Member

Village? If you don’t know the term ‘village’ in the context of London, probably not your idea of a village…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Restaurants in Wimbledon village’ is closed to new replies.