Home Forums Chat Forum Repairing a Goretex jacket zip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Repairing a Goretex jacket zip
  • alchiltern
    Free Member

I have an old, battered Mountain Hardware mountaineering gtx shell. One of the pit zips has come almost completely away from the inside, looks like it was heat fastened or glued in some way originally (no stitching or seam tape).

The jacket owes me nothing and it’s not worth sending anywhere but still provides decent protection when out biking in filthy conditions.

Any suggestions for how to repair? Ideally I’d like to retain the zip function as i run pretty hot as a rule.

duckers
    Free Member

I’d say shoo-goo will do the job, it’s pretty strong and flexible. You can also get proper seam glue for goretex jackets though I’ve never used that.

tall_martin

What about stitching a new zip in yourself?

I’ve done it on the front of a couple of goretex jackets. It doesn’t look pretty, but it was £££ less than a professional repair or a new jacket.

Or find a mate with a sewing machine and persuade them to do you a favour?

alchiltern
    Free Member

Cheers both, will probably give the shoe goo a go. Easier for me to do.

DrJ

Stormsure adhesive?

BigJohn

I have an old Gore jacket that’s just right and I can’t find a direct replacement. The zip had gone but the repairs and alterations stall in Stafford market put a new one in for £20.
    My daughter has a beautiful Rapha zipped merino top and that was re-zipped there too.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’d get a local tailor/alterations/seamstress type to sew in a new zip, then splurge sealant over any exposed stitching. It’s the sort of thing that they’ll usually do for £10-15.

davespike1981

Anywhere near an alpkit shop? they do a good in shop repair at certain branches, just saved a wetsuit for me.

I’ve had good experience with stormsure in the past on a variety on outdoor items

alan1977
    Free Member

^^ was literally jsut about to write alpkit…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.