Home Forums Bike Forum Repair a Garmin Edge 500?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Repair a Garmin Edge 500?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve got an Edge 500 which now has a couple of physical problems.

Firstly, the buttons have worn away, so a couple of the ‘buttons’ are now simply holes in the case through which I can stick a finger nail to access the microswitch.

Secondly, the plastic edges of the bayonet fitting have snapped off, so it’s no longer possible to secure the GPS into the Garmin mount.

I seem to remember seeing a metal cap which could be glued or screwed to the base of the GPS which should fix the mount problem.

Anyway, I’m just wondering if it’s worth having it repaired. Are Garmin UK any good at this sort of repair, and roughly how much would it cost and how long would it take? (I had a look on their site, but they seem to want a serial number before they’ll give me any information, and I don’t have it on me).

The other option is to splash out on a new GPS! However, Edge 500 has been quite a handy wee GPS with some useful features, and I’m not sure if I’d ever get around to deciding on a different unit!

jimdubleyou

Non-warranty replacement on a 520 was just under £100 – might be worth checking what they’ll offer you, but I think it’s like for like.

I just got a new 520 Plus for approx £200.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve had your money’s worth…

The tabs on my old 500 snapped off, so I sent it to Garmin and they replaced the whole unit FOC. I had the receipt though.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much.

I probably still have the receipt somewhere, but I’ve had it for a few years so it’s definitely out of warranty.

I suppose I have to decide if it’s worth having it repaired/replaced. It does everything I need. The Edge 130 looks okay, but it doesn’t let you program interval training routines, and the battery life might not be as good. The 520 is a bit fancier, but it’s also slightly bigger (I have limited room when I’m riding my recumbent).

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDGE500-Back-Case-Bottom-Cover-with-Battery-Blue-White-for-Garmin/273432339631?hash=item3fa9d664af:g:nCAAAOSwuThbhq6m

Used to be able to get these all over eBay which would solve both your issues in one hit.

Other than that I got a plastic epoxy on mount from racewaredirect. You filed off the rest of the tabs till it was a tight fit and glued on a new mount and then used small self tappers to ensure its staying put

Bez

Ebay completed listings suggest you should be able to pick up another Edge 500 for £30-40.

Superficial
    Free Member

I got a brand new boxed 510 from Garmin when I broke the tab off it (out of warranty). It cost about £60 inc postage and a load more mounts. I was quite happy with that. I suspect the question will be whether they have any of the old 500 model to use as replacements. Worth asking the question.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I’ll see what Garmin say about repair/replacement, but I might end up trying to source a replacement bottom cover. Mine is the black/silver model.

Thanks for the info about the racewaredirect tab. The one I came across is an aluminium one from dogearsgps.

welshfarmer

Defo ask their warranty department first. I mashed the screen on mine so half of it was dead pixelled, fully my fault, told them so, asked how much to replace screen. They wanted it sent to them, and they sent me a new unit FOC by return. Can’t fault them there.

giraffe
    Free Member

I’ve a Garmin 500 sat in the garage that I keep meaning to eBay. Let me know if you’re interested.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Repair a Garmin Edge 500?’ is closed to new replies.