Home Forums Chat Forum Renault 5 Gtx …any good?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Renault 5 Gtx …any good?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I've been offered a Renault 5 gtx prima for £500

It looks rot free, very tidy and it's only done 55k

Anyone had one? My only experience of one is an underpowered sardine tin that I wouldn't keep chickens in! (it was a rusty 1.2 campas?

Cheers!

Dudie
    Free Member

Shite car with character compared to today's bland offerings. I would.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

this one

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/owners-reviews/archive-review.aspx?review=4042

105 bhp, 1.8l

google search, some good reviews of them

br
    Free Member

How old… – if its the one I remember, at least 20 years, if not 25?

MrNutt
    Free Member

but what are they like to drive? like a mini? glued to the road? a lark or a fatty goose?

tron
    Free Member

It won't be a 1.8, unless someone's been engine swapping.

The biggest they fitted was the 1.7, as also used in the Volvo 340 (can't remember if it was the 1.4 or the 1.7 in the Volvo, but much the same engine).

Personally, I wouldn't bother. You'll have carburettors to contend with, so there'll be short service intervals (6000 miles?) and relatively poor fuel economy for the size and performance. I've not driven a 5, but the 205 which was perhaps a size up and from a similar time feels like it's made of foil.

the-muffin-man

but what are they like to drive? like a mini? glued to the road? a lark or a fatty goose?

My brother had one – it rolled a fair bit but seemed to have some magical glue that kept it on the road. IIRC It was partial to lifting its rear inside wheel when cornering hard!

Haggle and see if you can get a £100+ off.

5lab
    Free Member

The biggest they fitted was the 1.7, as also used in the Volvo 340 (can't remember if it was the 1.4 or the 1.7 in the Volvo, but much the same engine).

340 had both. the 400 series only had the 1.7 (although the 1.7 turbo was an option). The 1.4 was a pushrod engine and by the 80s, rather out of date – even the renault 5 gt turbo only got 110 bhp out of it

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you are aware what running/driving a car of that age can be like, test drive it and go!

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep familiar with old motors, I hope to get it, looks a peach 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

I had one waaaaayy back – loved it. If I remember correctly it had some of the most comfy seats of any car I had (random, I know).

For that money, if it's in good nick I would.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well this is the ebay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330452492756&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

well what a crock! those dates MUST be genuine to the photographs, I'd assumed that they must have just had their camera set up incorrectly given the continued assurance that it was "very tidy and in great condition", "been looked after" & "three women owners, all family".

Well no, it turns out that it was given to the son in law, when I got there it looked grubby, opening the bonnet reveled a splattering of oil, on asking "does it use much oil" I was told no, none at all. Futher inspection underneath I discovered that the entire underneath of the drivers side of the engine was literally dripping in oil. Running the engine shoed that the exhaust was also a good source of the black stuff!

the interior was not at all like the photo on ebay, worn, dirty, tired and the ashtray was not empty.

I dunno, I drove for over an hour, they told me they'd had an offer of £550.00 but would let me have it for £500.00. I offered £300.00 and they said £350.00 is the lowest they'd go. The £550.00 offer seemed to vanish.

what a waste of time, why on earth do people bother?!?!?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I used to have one. 90 Bhp weighing about 700kgs. Quite effective! Brakes were cr@p but on a journey through Wales I managed to keep a scooby impreza turbo at bay for about 50 miles! He was a mate and genuinely was shocked at the pace of the thing! I was shocked at how I couldn't slow it down as the brakes had faded to nowt!

Great fun car.

loddrik
    Free Member

They look great though

Renault 5 turbo raider, now that was a car.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Renault 5's tip and roll like Renault 4's did. However they're nippy little things and probably Ok as they have very few electrics in them like more modern Renaults. Electrics not being a French thing on cars.

I wouldn't want to part with more than £300 though. If it lasts a month its still been a cheap car, compared to public transport costs or hiring a car etc.

My mum had one years ago. I learned to drive in it. I think it was a 1.1 and it used to have to go into 4th to get up hills on the M62! Renault 5 flair I think. Sort of a shove some nice bits in it and flog it quick before the model changes shape into the campus shaped renault 5.

Rernault 5 turbo's explode, avoid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Renault 5 Gtx …any good?’ is closed to new replies.