Home Forums Bike Forum Reducing standover height on child’s bike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reducing standover height on child’s bike
  • tommyo

Any tips how to reduce standover height on a frog 52? My son is ready to move on from his cnoc 14 to gears.

I can remove some of the seat tube as ive had to do on all his bikes so far, but I’m looking for a seat post and child’s seat with the least height above the end of the seat tube as the seat and post  it came with seem to be quite “tall”?

Anyone done similar?

If so where did you get the replacement <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>seatpost and saddle from? </span>

Bez

I can remove some of the seat tube as ive had to do on all his bikes so far

That’s quite radical :o Doesn’t this suggest you’re moving him onto larger bikes prematurely?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d suggest that if it’s too big for him, then he’s not ready…

tommyo

If I can reduce the standover height, I’ll assess it again.

Maybe you both are correct, but I’ll decide that when i’ve “adjusted” it, if that is ok with you?

Now does anyone have any ideas about a low standover saddle and seatpost?

scuttler

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

Which tyres have you got on 40-406 or 47-406?  The narrower will drop the bike, but only by a small amount.

joemmo
    Free Member

not specifically the standover but from experience the issue you might find is that the reach on the Frog 52 is really long for intended minimum height. i ended up putting a 40cm stem on my son’s bike to bring the bars into a comfortable position.

nedrapier

big hammer to the top tube? Will make it slacker and commensurately more awesome at slaying tech trails in the park.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Let the tyres down 30psi..

ads678

Chop the seat post down so you can slam it. Decathlon do a 35mm stem for £13

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/oversize-bike-stem-35mm-id_8402831.html

and then fit a short kids saddle so theres more room in front of it.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-junior-bike-saddle-id_8380621.html

other than that i’m not sure theres much else that can be done.

kevs
    Free Member

Pivotal type seatpost and saddle have low stack, loads of bmx’s have them to get the saddle super low

daern
    Free Member

Honestly, while there are options on FS bikes if the rider is confident enough (I used spacers on the forks and offset bushings on the shock to lower standover), on a rigid bike if they’re struggling to straddle the crossbar, then the bike is too big for them right now and, especially if you intend to ride offroad, they’ll only end up injuring themselves.

Regarding saddle height (which is a different thing) and reach, these can be adjusted according to terrain, skill and rider height – i.e. maxed for the road, relaxed for the trail – and kids taught to start and stop from the crossbar, but this assumes a frame that is small enough to allow them to do this.

I’m sure that you have a pretty good idea already as to whether you’re pushing him up a bit early…

tommyo

Ads678 Great, thanks – these are the sort of ideas I wanted.

I’ve also found that hoy bonaly seat and post are one piece and look promising for what i want to try.

I’ll get one or the decathalon one, stick it on and see how he gets on before i get my hacksaw out…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

have you considered a pivotal seat and post, they have next to no stack height.

BMX stuff

tommyo

Thanks for the pivotal seat tip! They look like just what I had in mind

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reducing standover height on child’s bike’ is closed to new replies.