Home Forums Chat Forum Recommendations – carry-on size wheeled case?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommendations – carry-on size wheeled case?
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking for a new carry on 2 wheeled case for flights and train journeys. Needs to fit in to RyanAir, easyJet and BA size limits.

Mostly used for short work trips and occasional weekend away.

Any suggestions?

BigJohn

We have a couple of “it” bags from Tesco. Exactly the right size, a rip-stop fabric and light as a feather. Wheels and retractable handle, loads of room. I’ve used them many times and they’ve been no trouble.

trail_rat
    Free Member

After watching the carry on crowd have a right carry on all weekend with their hard shells.

Soft shell would be top of my priority list.

tuboflard

Eastpak are my personal favourite. The mrs has a carry on which she uses for work and she’s not renowned for taking care of stuff but it’s still in perfect condition. And I think they do a lifetime warranty. Get one on discount and it’s well worth the price.

iainc

I use these a lot, most weeks, and have been through a few.  Currently using Monos Carry On Pro, and the slightly larger one, the Pro Plus.  Previously had a couple of Samsonite ones but they lasted barely a year of frequent use.

The Monos ones are holding up well so far, not cheap, but for heavy use they seem better than the others I have used over the past decade.

DrJ

I’ve got a Rimowa aluminium one and a Rimowa plastic one – both were absolutely silly money. But I just got one from M & S for about 10% of the price and it’s perfectly fine for carrying on. Might not survive violence of checked luggage.

Kramer
    Free Member

Not a wheeled carry on, but I’ve been very impressed with my Osprey Farpoint 40 which has a full rucksack harness that can be zipped away if the bag needs to be checked. You can also get a daypack that attaches to it.

I find rucksacks to be better than wheels for anything other than short flat distances.

Osprey also do a lightweight wheeled carry on that is similar, but without the harness. It’s quite spendy though.

ElShalimo

Thanks

It needs to have wheels as it’s easier to drag across large airports

TiRed

For RyanAir, Son1 has a Patagonia MLC 30L rucksack that converts. It’s not cheap, hard to find, but does the perfect job of avoiding issues at checkin. To be honest, you won’t want anything bigger.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-mini-mlc-convertible-backpack-30-liters/49266.html

BillMC

I’ve a Travelpro, fabric expandandable and wheeled, Ryanair dimensions, probably 5 yrs old and for 3 of those years was doing weekly trips. Nothing gone wrong with it.

ElShalimo

Does anyone have a link to an up to date carry on airline comparison?

convert

Which of the two Easyjet sizes – (the free one or the paid for one). If the free one, you bag will be smaller than ideal for all other circumstances.

CountZero

This may be apocryphal, but I read something about someone having a carryon case that complied, allegedly, with the dimensions published, then it was discovered that the case wouldn’t fit into the measurement frame. Turned out the checkin staff lined the frame to make it slightly too small to force people to pay for hold storage… 🤔

It’s certainly the sort of stuff some airlines would do to make more money from the passengers. Might be worth checking online with all the airlines likely to be used for their carryon luggage dimensions and aggregating them to avoid fit issues, the smallest in each dimension for example.

MadBillMcMad

My first thought at the thread title.

‘for what bike? not a 29er then’

5lab
    Free Member

for the free ryanair/easyjet size, wheels isn’t worth it, its a really small backpack.

for the paid size (which is approx the same size as BA’s main item) I’d go eastpak transvers s – durable, 10 year warranty iirc, loads of designs.

andy8442
    Free Member

Go rucksack of some sort. I’ve been on a few flights lately where the people with wheelie cases have been moved to one side and had their baggage put in the hold. I’ve used a Eastpak something to other, on the last few flights and found it perfectly fine for 2-4 days away

jp-t853

As per the usual advise something completely different to the request.

I have had a matalan wheeled case for over twenty five years and the zip was starting to play up.

I travel in Europe for 2-3 nights each month and bought a backpack that is designed to fit under the seat on Easyjet flights if needed. Great in an emergency if the overhead lockers are full but perfectly useable for a few nights.

I have to say I am a complete backpack convert it is so much easier to walk around go up elevators and stairs and then when you get to the offices and walk to the hotel etc. you can get around so much better. I store laptop in the laptop sleeve and fluids in the front pouch and it makes security really slick. I use it as a laptop bag when I go into the office when away

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204119838210?var=504663944971

stingmered

Agree, I do a lot of int travel for work. The only place wheels make sense is the airport, as soon as you leave the airport a backpack is infinitely easier to lug about. On the occasion I do take a wheeled case I end up carrying it around as generally pavements and walkways are too bumpy and full of obstacles (e.g. those raised/dimpled floor tiles for the blind, or decorative, small-cobbled pavements…) Not to mention frequent steps to and from stations, hotels, office buildings etc…

ElShalimo

I ordered a Eastpak Tranverz Small in the end. My wife  will also use it for girls weekends away so it’ll be easy for her to move around train stations.

Got loads of outdoor rucksacks here and didn’t want another one.

beanum

I know the OP has bought a case now but I wanted to put in a mention for a Tropicfeel Lift roller bag. I have one and for carry on traveling it’s great. It’s USP is the fold out straps that allow you carry it on your back when rolling isn’t practical.

https://shop.tropicfeel.com/pages/lift-rollerbag-ss24

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.