Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me somewhere to visit in Norfolk
  • lunge

For various reasons (money, time, hatred of airports, owning a dog, etc.) we’ve decided to have a year or 2 holidaying in the UK. And off the back of this, we’d like to visit Norfolk, but have no idea where.

Usual requirements, nice walks, country pubs, the odd National Trust or similar to visit, and some water (be that canal, river or sea). Bike are unlikely to be with us.

Thanks all.

footflaps

We’ve stayed in Burnham Market – very much Chelsea on Sea, but nice area.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of lovely coast and seaside places, a few steam railways, Peddars Way by bike, Norfolk Broads, Bewilderwood if you have kids

kilo

Holkham beach and the Victoria pub opposite it.
    Norwich was quite nice for a stroll around

Pieface

We stayed in a little village called Thurne that is East of Norwich and close to Great Yarmouth. The village had a good pub (The Lion) with playground next to the beer garden, and access to the Broads via an inlet(?). We stayed in a little cottage (Red House Moorings) with our dog there.

toby1

The beaches can be lovely, Southwold is a nice spot too (in addition to the above).

One thing to observe is as it’s the flatlands, when the tide is out, you can walk for an hour and still not reach the sea on some of the beaches!

the-muffin-man

Anywhere along the north coast between Hunstanton and Cromer.

Wells gets very busy so you might want to swerve staying there if you don’t do crowds. It’s worth visiting though.

MoreCashThanDash

Southwold and Aldeburgh are lovely, but technically Suffolk.

the-muffin-man

If you can afford it this place is right nice. We’ve eaten there but not had the £££s to stay! 🙂

https://www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We took the wobble box to Blakeney earlier this year. Liked it so we’re going back next year too.
    Do you like crab sandwiches? The Crab Hut in Brancaster Staithe is excellent.

BillMC

Southwold is great but for the wah wahs who populate it. You might want to commit the occasional murder.
    Blakeney is terrific, very popular with bird watchers, good pub, parking can be a bit tricky, stay in the pub problem solved!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Longstanton Spice Museum and there’s also a cracking owl sanctuary.

DougD

Stayed here recently whilst cycling round the north Norfolk coast, just east of Hunstanton and it was great – https://www.thegintrapinn.co.uk/

johndoh
    Free Member

Another one for if you have younger kids – crabbing in Blakeney – just schedule your start time with the incoming tide and you’ll have a bucketful within ten minutes.

tthew

We stayed in a place called Kelling Heath Holiday Park a few years ago. An ace place that has accommodation, (lodges by the looks of it now, was static caravans) as well as touring pitches. Handy little shop, cafe swimming pool and stuff. Even had it’s own stop on the North Norfolk steam railway. Close to the north cost for Cromer, Sherringham etc. I’d recommend it.

frankconway

Sandringham

ctk
    Free Member

A seal trip from Blakeney.

tuboflard

Underrated reply 🙂

Not much more to add. Brancaster beach is lovely though.

fazzini

Blakeney and Brancaster are definite. Holkham Hall and grounds. On the way to Holkham or Wells take a detour to The Real Ale shop at Branthill Farm. If you venture to Great Yarmouth make sure to visit Merivale Model Village, but more importantly, the tea room there. If you fancy a long day out into Suffolk, head to to Diss and Bungay. Flixton air museum is a lovely little place and 10 mins from St Peter’s Brewery. There is so much to do. We’ve been going for years, dragging the shed to Old Brick Kilns. It’s a bit in the middle of nowhere, but a lovely place.
    Edit: also… Bircham Windmill, and Muckleburgh Collection if you like military museums.

wait4me

Home

Highly recommended. Great food and location. Worth an overnight stay.

Also really enjoyed Norwich, lots of good pubs and restaurants.

toby1

I live there, it’s actually Cambridgeshire, we very nearly got a spice museum in a telephone box, but the Pandemic killed it. There’s also no owl sanctuary, sorry!

prezet
    Free Member

Lots of nice places … I’ve lived here all my life.

North norfolk coast – Brancaster, Burnham market, Wells-next-to-sea, Holkham hall, Sandringham, round to Sheringham (which has a pedal loop, and a few short but fun trails if you do decide to a bike)

East norfolk coast – Winterton is popular for dog walking, lots of sand dunes to explore and a good mobile cafe. If you have kids you can brave Great Yarmouth for a night at the arcades.

South norfolk – Southwold/Aldeburgh, although personally not a fan.

Norwich – good for a night out, lots of places to eat/drink, good restaurants/bars on St Augustines street and the laneways.

Good pubs around the area – The Pigs, White Hart Hingham, The Lion Thurne, Gin Trap … there are lots of good pubs.

Wroxham – go hire a boat and get out on the broads for a day, it’s lovely with frequent pub stops along the way.

Thetford forest – it’s ok, there’s no elevation, so it’s all pedalling, I take my rigid 29er and it makes it a bit more fun.

Norfolk has lots of waterways so if you have a paddleboard/kayak/canoe it’s ideal for that.

Holkham beach and the Victoria pub opposite it.

Sadly it’s no longer a pub, but accomodation/restaurant. Wells is close with some good pubs.

chestrockwell

Hunstanton as it’s lovely. Plenty to do around and about too with castles, nature reserves, country pubs, sea trips, crabbing, etc. If you have children they will love the fun fair too.

Harry_the_Spider

If you like this sort of stuff…

https://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

https://www.aviationmuseum.net/

Stayed in Wells Next The Sea and Southwold a couple of times. Lovely part of the world.

footflaps

In Suffolk, but we had a tour of the old Nuclear Weapons test facility at Orford Ness – very interesting…

Buildings designed to deflect an explosion up and out…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2c9jb1C]Orford Ness AWRE Laboratory / Pagoda[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

The odd bomb left lying about…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2c9iA37]Orford Ness Nuclear Bomb WE177A[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

timmys

We’ve now done a few holidays up there and have always stayed in the Holt/Kelling/Weybourne area which we’ve found to be a good location as you’re in reach of Cromer on one side and (at slightly more of stretch) Holkham/Brancaster on the other.

Unless you’re totally allergic to being around other people, then Kelling Heath is a good shout, we’ve ended up there twice. Nice balance of having facilities around without it being the full Centre Parcs type thing. Once we booked direct with them, and other time booked a lodge on site being offered via AirB&B. Nice woodlands for a quick pedal around.

Would second a lot of the stuff already mentioned;
    – White Horse @ Brancaster is amazing
    The Pigs
    – Muckleburgh Collection
    – Holkham (Hall and beach)
    – Seal Trip from Blakney
    – North Norfolk Steam Railway

Things not mentioned (apols if missed them);
    – My personal favourite pub/restaurant – The Dun Cow @ Salthouse
    – West Runton is our fave beach (bodyboarding, sand, fossils, rock pools, easy parking)
    – Just grab an OS map and go for a walk
    – Cromer – arcades and crabbing off the pier
    – Sea Fishing trip

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member
    mahalo

only clicked on here for this… 😀

sandboy

Sorry, late to the thread. Everything has been covered already!
    The North Norfolk coast really is beautiful and there are lots of places to visit to suit all interests. You can’t really go wrong anywhere between Old Hunstanton and Cromer. The beaches get increasingly shingle from Wells heading north towards Cromer which is a consideration especially if you have kids.
    If you bring a road bike, I’d be happy to show you round some lovely quiet lanes?

mrmoofo

Most of Norfolk ( I spent a lot of time going there as a kid) has depressingly become Chelsea on Sea – Burnham, Holkham , Wells, Brancaster and most of the villages in between. April to October Volvo XCs, White Stuff and a yachting / Val D’Isere groove.
    Every pub is a gastro pub ( they are are not).

I am not sure real Norfolk still exists – it’s hardly getting way from the rat race.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.