Home Forums Bike Forum Recommend me some grips

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me some grips
  • belgianwaffle1

Even though ironically my last post was named ‘upgrades finally finished’ I am looking for some new grips. I currently have some odi ruffians that are getting worn and I am looking for something a bit more confortable. I looked at the Ergon GA2 grips in ‘risky red’ and they seem to have good reviews – does anyone have any other recommendations? Thank You!

b230ftw
    Free Member

DMR Death Grips. This will be repeated many times for good reason!
    I love the thicker soft ones.

mboy
    Free Member

ODI Elite Pro all the way… By far the best grips I’ve used in years and years!

Gusset S2’s not bad too if you’re a fan of the ODI Ruffian.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Ergon gd1

mariner
    Free Member

Chromag Clutch or others from their range.
    I like a long grip and these are 150mm.
    Work well on wider bars.

rothdogg
    Free Member

ODI Elite Pro’s

belgianwaffle1

Ok thank you all for your contributions. @mboy those gussets look great I think I’ll go with those

nowad
    Free Member

If you fancy trying foam I just purchased a load of foam grips of superstar for a fiver a pair. For the price you cant beat them and wear currently seams ok.

gringo

I run Deity Supracush on both my bikes, I find them really comfortable.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Deathgrips. The end.

Del

pretty happy with a set of PRO grips i have on the FS. not a bad price IIRC. 17 quid?

colp

Ergon GA2 are lovely, wish I’d used them years ago

yoshimi

Burgtec Minnar – like death grips but better :)

velocipede
    Free Member

ESI Chunky – fantastic and now on both my bikes – very comfortable but no lock-on, they’re a bugger to get on/off but fantastic once on!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The On One foam grips aren’t bad either, but currently more expensive than those Superstar ones.

lawman91

Ergon GE1 Factory for me, best grips I’ve had and I’ve used a lot! They’re not cheap but they last super well and are mega comfy and seem to put my hands in a better position with the tapered profile, going back to regular grips feels weird now.

brads
    Free Member

Just fitted deathgrip , thick ,soft. Bloody well pleased with them. Big upgrade on the strange I was using.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I used to swear by renthals non lock on types in either Kevlar or super tacky but they are a pain to swap between bikes being non lock on.

I tried death grips and really struggled with them. Had the soft ones and still found them too hard.

Then I stumbled upon these for a cheap build
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-mushroom-lock-on-handlebar-grips?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=103895755&kpid=103895755&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv%7CsCtYTrmWn_dm%7Cmcrid%7C295292317327%7Cmkw%7C%7Cmmt%7C%7Cmrd%7C103895755uk%7Cmslid%7C%7C&mkwid=sCtYTrmWn_dm&pcrid=295292317327&prd=103895755uk&pgrid=58852352866&ptaid=pla-892925889520&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7CUoeKO7gIVCu7mCh2DBA5qEAQYAiABEgLsfvD_BwE

I find them nice and comfy and they are cheap too.

unovolo
    Free Member

I got some Deathgrips after the recommendations on here, and to be honest several months in I still think there just OK, not bad but not particular great either.

Had ESI’s before and really liked them, only downside Ihad with them is they tear fairly easily.

Think I might try some of the Ergons next.

jonny-m
    Free Member

ESI or Ergon depending on how long you spend in the saddle.
    Both have their place and are awesome

DezB
    Free Member

Have some death grips my son didn’t get on with, was going to eBay them, but if anyone interested in a bargain, pm me.

Rickos
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with the waffle bit of my Deathgrips. Now got Fabric Funguy and they’re nice. Good thickness and reasonably soft, plus the mushroom top side is comfy for your palm.

endomick
    Free Member

Oury V2 are awesome, I’ve had deathgrips, minnaars bartender pro, I love mushroom grips like DMR sect and ODI longnecks but definitely not in the wet, Oury V2 are comfy af, still grippy in the wet and the compound, thickness and pattern is spot on for me, perfect amount of tackiness. My new fave.

mudfish

You’ve had so much advice here it shows grips are pretty personal.

I’ve tried em all inc. ODI Gwin, ESI silicone, Spesh, Peaty, BMX Rueben grips, Yeti, Troy Lee, Chromag, ODI mushroom and lots more. Pluses and minuses all along.

FYI I found softest Deathgrips too hard for gloveless use.
    I really like the Renthal Ultra Tacky Traction grips but they wear quite fast and I’d prefer a single collar.
    The Renthal push ons in Ultra tacky are rather nice too if you can be bothered with wire.
    Soft tacky material means a lighter hold on the grips is possible. (Renthal are tackiest IMO). Relaxing hands a little really helps hand and forearm comfort.
    Bare hands and wet weather makes grip choice critical.
    Current choice, last few months a great discovery – Raceface Half Nelson grips are ace IMO great in the rain – with or without gloves.
    Add Hope’s alloy (gripdoctor?) endcaps and you’re set up perfect.
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/grips/race-face-half-nelson-review
    Not an expensive upgrade but easily as important as pedals and the saddle.

ceramicmatt

ESI Chunky on my rigid MTB. They are tricky to get on, but plenty of hairspray did the job and have never rotated. They’re super comfy and reduce hand numbness. Only downside is they can cut/tear easily near the end plugs.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Oury V2s here too.

Like everyone else I have tried quite a few, including Odi ruffians, Palmdales, Deathgrips, Esi chunkies, Spank Spikes(33mm).

The Oury V2s are my favourites so far.

steamtb

I have gone through a lot of grips over the last few years as they never quite hit that sweet spot for comfort and control, some of the highlights: A few pairs of the deathgrips, which were pretty good but not amazing, I probably gave them more time than I should. I then had some burgtecs, which I really liked and fabric funguys which were on a par with the deathgrips. Funnily, I had a set of Ergon GE1 Evo Factory grips before the above and didn’t really gel with them. I say funnily as I’ve gone back to them, they are now on both my bikes and are my preferred grip for comfort and control. Definitely worth playing about the set up of them as a slight rotation made lots of difference for me. Grips are a very personal thing and at least we are spoilt for choice now, which doesn’t help when choosing! :)

If it makes any difference with my useage, I always wear gloves, go out in all weathers, don’t do any serious downhill (The easier 4 trails at Dyffi are as extreme as I go) but do jumps, drops and steep stuff.

el_boufador

Death grip thin tacky for me

postierich
    Free Member

Death Grips for gloveless fun on a hardtail

129369951_10159205945306474_4378962046890552330_o by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

tenburner

Deathgrips if you want to replace them every two weeks. My two cents (or 20 quid) goes to the Burgtec Greg Minnar ones. Last ages and super comfy.

chiefgrooveguru

Isn’t it amazing how different people’s views are on grips? I guess we’ve all got different hands and grip differently.

I like Deathgrips in thick soft but I possibly prefer Specialized SIP XL (which I think are a little fatter, a little less sticky and don’t have the mushroom bit at the thumb and instead get slimmer there for more grip). I was expecting to replace them with Deathgrips when I got my Levo but they’ve stayed on there. I mentioned this to the LBS owner that sold me that bike and he said he hated these Specialized grips and replaced them immediately on his own bike!

Happy to ride either gloveless when it’s warmer. Both last ages for me.

joebristol

I don’t mind raceface half nelsons but they start creaking after a while.

Been on deathgrip thin soft for a while now and really like them.

samja
    Free Member

I love Ergon Ga2 fat grips. Good if you have bigger hands

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 ODI elite Pros

Tried deathgrips, Minnaars, Ergons, LS chargers – all good but the ODI’s have the edge IMO.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some grips’ is closed to new replies.