Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me a flat roof

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a flat roof
  • corroded
    Free Member

We’ll need to replace the felt on the roof of quite a large L-shaped extension. I was looking at adding a skylight or two and using single-ply membrane instead of felt. Has anybody used that? What are the pros and cons and what do I need to consider?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I prefer liquid applied roofs particularly if you have penetrations and details, DIY able to.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’d go for decent felt or a good reinforced liquid applied system over single ply.

As with all roofs , the correct specification, detailing and installation are arguably more important than the choice of material.

Squirrel

I’ve specified a single membrane flat roof covering with skylights and other penetrations in the past. It didn’t fill me with confidence…..🤔

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll look into liquid applied roofs. Really, the whole thing has long been hodge-podge with different levels, corners, joins with tiled sections etc, so I’m keen to redo / tidy it up as much as possible rather than do more of the same. I definitely need the advice of reputable roofer in my area, which is a whole other headache.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Where in the country are you Corroded?

corroded
    Free Member

NE Hampshire

fs1e

Had our flat roofed house re-done with a modern felt system 2 years ago near Portsmouth and it’s been great. I would avoid fibreglass. Can provide the roofers details if that would help

Polyroof Protec.   For Hampshire I’d recommend Williams Roofing in Eastleigh.

edthecarpenter

Polyroof Protec is excellent. Use an accredited installer to get a warranty. An important factor to a successful liquid roof install is the deck you lay it on. This can often be overlooked, ensure the surface you are laying on is sound with as little movement as possible. A stable sound deck is vital to give you a good result. If you need to walk on the roof for maintenance etc make sure you let the installer know so they can make provisions for foot traffic.

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks all. The Polyroof Protec looks like an ideal solution and seems like it would cope with some of the fiddly corners involved. I assume we take up the old felt and replace plywood where required. I think there will be increased foot traffic as we’re considering putting some solar panels up there or growing some plants.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Agree this would be a good solution. Definitely take up any felt or ply if or where water has penetrated. You don’t want to trap any moisture beneath the new covering as this could lead to blistering.

Most reinforced liquids will take foot traffic for occasional maintenance access.
    They are more robust than felt or single ply.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.