Home Forums Bike Forum Recommend me a digital tyre pressure gauge

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a digital tyre pressure gauge
  • ElShalimo

We had one for the cars and bikes but we’ve lost it ages ago.

Can anyone recommend a good one for not silly money?

simon_g

Topeak smartguage D2 is great. Can easily switch between schrader and presta for car/bike use.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bought one of https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-airmax-pro-digital-pressure-gauge-148933.html a few years ago, turned out my cheapy floor pump gauge agreed with the digital one, so it’s not had much use since!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Topeak D2 seconded.

MartynS

Topeak D2 here as well…. so far so good. really easy to do both bike and car

weeksy

SKS airchecker.

kneed
    Free Member

Project farm did a recent review of the best and worst:

Turns out that SKS are top notch. Been using them for years although the batteries do seem to die quickly.

midlifecrashes

Happy with my SKS here.

mmannerr

My SKS wore out presta side rubber grommet and there doesn’t seem to be any replacement parts. It lives on as car tyre pressure checker.

SKS and my old Topeak Mountain pump had difference of almost 4 PSI at 25PSI. No idea which one is correct reading.

Mugboo

Topeak D2 here but my Joe Blow is pretty accurate at MTB pressurers. The Topeak is essential for the fat bike though.

I also recently bought the Syncros digital shock pump, thats great too.

timba
    Free Member

Topeak smartguage D2 is great. Can easily switch between schrader and presta for car/bike use.

+1

bens
    Free Member

Another shout for the Topeak.

Works well for suspension too if you want to get really accurate.

mudfish

What’s wrong with the “Accugage” no batteries required. Pleasing to use. My Topeak now lives in my riding pack.

b33k34

Accugage

can’t deal with presta (which most people run on their bikes) and Schraeder (for the car).  Otherwise excellent.

I’ve had/got a Topeka and an SKS gauges and they’ve all been crap and unreliable.  Accugage is the only one that reads consistently and without often just letting loads of air out.

But far better is just to fit an accurate guage to a track pump (ie one where your target pressures are around the middle of the range it reads) and use that to check pressure and add air at the same time.  Only disadvantage is you need another pump for road bikes and tubeless inflation.  SKS rennkompressor takes a standard c40mm rear entry gauge. Guages way more accurate than those normally fitted to bike pumps from about £5

Yak

Topeak D2 is fine. I have 2 and both read consistently enough for me. Just don’t let them gunk up with sealant. One has lost the ability to switch to schrader though so that one is bike only now.

jeffl

I got one of these.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-bmp-90-pressure-gauge-64692.html

Looks exactly like the schwalbe one, but in black rather than blue and a few quid cheaper.

devash
    Free Member

I have a Topeak D2, not sure how accurate it is but it helps with pressure consistency.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Until recently I’d just relied on the gauge on my Joe Blow pump but have now got the Topeak D2.   A big difference in readings.

I’d been setting my tyres in the 24 psi area on the Joe Blow.  This seems to only be around 19 psi on the D2. I set them at 24 psi on the D2 and had a horrible ride on any rooty bits.  Which is correct I don’t know but I’ve now starting setting them using the D2 but at 19 psi.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the SKS one, it’s a PITA.

1) to get the continuous reading mode you have to select it every time because it defaults to the other mode when it switches on.

2) the batteries go flat in seemingly no time

3) the rotating head feels that only turns half way like it’s more hassle than it’s worth.  Because the universe hates 50/50 chances you can guarantee the two options available to you will be the screen facing the floor, or the screen facing the tyre (less of a push-bike issue as you can just hold it the other side of the bike, but it’s probably the reason for point-1 when checking cars/motorbikes/trailers).

Had an Oxford DigiGuage before that and it was all-round a much nicer product to use.

I actually ended up buying a motorbike TPMS system off ali-express, i didn’t like having it on the motorbike, but it’s actually really useful for the push bikes because you can hold the screen in one hand and the ‘guage’ in the other. No more need to contort you head to the floor to read/adjust pressures!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d been setting my tyres in the 24 psi area on the Joe Blow.  This seems to only be around 19 psi on the D2. I set them at 24 psi on the D2 and had a horrible ride on any rooty bits.  Which is correct I don’t know but I’ve now starting setting them using the D2 but at 19 psi.

Surely that’s still 24 on the Joe Blow?

The trick is to be less fussy about the absolute number and comparisons to anyone else, and more fussy about how it actually feels.  If it feels crap, stick 20% more in, see if it’s more or less crap, then try 20% less, then you’ll have a better idea what the change should feel like and can make smaller 10 or 5% adjustments.

Yak

Yeah this ^. You only need consistency not absolute accuracy. Just remember to take the D2 everywhere you go then you can use any pump. My pump (lezyne) is probably 10psi out, maybe more.

andybrad

I fund the Topeak D2 to be average at best.

By far the best ive had is the oxford digital. Its both accurate and repeatable within about 0.5 psi

masterdabber
    Free Member

Surely that’s still 24 on the Joe Blow?

The trick is to be less fussy about the absolute number and comparisons to anyone else, and more fussy about how it actually feels.  If it feels crap, stick 20% more in, see if it’s more or less crap, then try 20% less, then you’ll have a better idea what the change should feel like and can make smaller 10 or 5% adjustments.

Agreed. And yes, at 19 on the D2 it’s still 24 on the Joe Blow.  My concern was whether continuing with what I thought was 24 but which it now appears was only 19 I was riding with the pressure a bit low…  full fat Cube e-mtb with MM 2.6/27.75 and BB 2.4/27.5 and me around 73kg (stripped).  But as for a long time I’ve run what I thought was around 24ish and been happy I’ll stick with that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ahh, sorry I misread it and though you meant it was a problem at 24 (JB) so dropped it to 19 (D2), I missed the bit in the middle where you inflated it to 24 (D2) psi.

My JoeBlow seems to agree with the SKS airchecker (and the ali express TPMS) , but my Aldi specialbuy pump I bough as a backup is a good 15-20% out (but seems to be consistent at least so “100psi” in the road bike is close to the 85 I actually want.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Ahh, sorry I misread it and though you meant it was a problem at 24 (JB) so dropped it to 19 (D2), I missed the bit in the middle where you inflated it to 24 (D2) psi.

Not your fault. I never described it very well.   I should add that when I first realised the discrepancy between the two values given I inflated the tyres to a reading of 24 psi on the D2…. this corresponded to a reading of around 32psi on the JB….. went for a ride and the first wet rooty section had me fighting to stay upright.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.