Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Really bad really good films
  • IHN

Agree with Apocalypse Now and you’re forgiven 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

The Shawshazzzz

Most definitely that. In fact, any film that Tom Hanks ruins by being in.

Con Air – now I honestly think people are being ironic when they say it was good. Aren’t they?

All Mission Impossible films

All James Bond films, except “From Russia..”, cos I saw that when I was about 12 with my Auntie.

[edit]Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favourites. It doesn’t matter how slow it is, just seeing  great actors all in the same film is enough for me -Marlon Brando
    Martin Sheen
    Robert Duvall
    Laurence Fishburne
    Dennis Hopper

awesome 😀

richmtb

Some people are just posting random shit films and saying they don’t like them.

This should be critically acclaimed films you don’t like. Napoleon Dynamite, Mission Impossible films, recent Aliens films, Star Wars prequels were never critically acclaimed or universally lauded. They are just mediocre to shit films.

Casablanca, tried to watch it twice turned it off both times as I was bored senseless

IHN

Casablanca, tried to watch it twice turned it off both times as I was bored senseless

I guess you mustn’t have got it 😉

hols2
    Free Member

Napoleon Dynamite got some good reviews and is a cult classic. Personally, I would put it in the other thread.

DezB
    Free Member

This should be critically acclaimed films you don’t like.

I can’t go and check reviews of all the films I don’t like. Mission Impossible, Alien, Star Wars sequels’ box office takings were massive. So they’re acclaimed by a fair few people, I’m sure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Napoleon Dynamite got some good reviews and is a cult classic. Personally, I would put it in the other thread.”

which is exactly where i was posting it but some knob keeps making duplicate threads with subtly different titles 😉

MSP

Looking at the list of oscar best picture winners, there were a lot of good or at least watchable films before the mid 80’s (although some may have aged now), I think then a change took place from good films being nominated, to films being made to a formula to target the oscar, and since then most have really been a bit crap.

Kato

Schindler’s List

Really???

Difficult to watch granted, but a bad film?

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s some fuel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture  Scroll down and every Best Picture nominated film 😀 I’ve gone to 1990, from there.

There’s an awful lot I haven’t seen – 2012 winner: Argo ? never even ‘eard of it!

Here – the Sixth Sense – has anyone watched that twice? It’s crap, cos once you know the twist there’s no point!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“2012 winner: Argo ? never even ‘eard of it!”

watch it then , its really rather good.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

the Sixth Sense – has anyone watched that twice? It’s crap, cos once you know the twist there’s no point!

Yes there is, to be pedantic & see how obvious it was all along…

DezB
    Free Member

watch it then , its really rather good.

Will do!

Most glaring from the list is Silence of the Lambs. Hammy old Anthony and the most crap ending. Hated it.

richmtb

Most glaring from the list is Silence of the Lambs.

Silence of the Lambs a great film, you think its less worthy than say Driving Miss Daisy or Shakespeare in Love?

+1 for Argo though, really good

DezB
    Free Member

Silence of the Lambs a great film, you think its less worthy

See, that’s the point of the thread? Films you don’t like that other people do? “Less worthy”?

I’ve not seen either of the other 2, as I know they’re not my sort of film. So it would be a bit silly to put them in a thread about films I don’t like.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kill Bill. Just bilge.

Interesting how personal/subjective this is, many posted above I love.

Films like Bond I think are about adjusting your expectations – it’s cheesy comforting entertainment – not great films. (I also like the 1st few Transformers and Planet of the Apes films).

I get that Apocalypse Now, Raging Bull or whatever can seem pretentious drivel….but I love them!

DezB
    Free Member

Films like Bond I think are about adjusting your expectations

Totally agree! I tried my best, but I still hated Skyfall. Except Javier Bardem’s scenes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Argo just read the true bits to go with it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21003432

Fun and great film there

Drac

Con Air – now I honestly think people are being ironic when they say it was good. Aren’t they?

You want the other thread.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Dunkirk.

I really enjoy war films but this was shocking.  I even tried watching it a second time at home and gave up less than half way though.

neilthewheel

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Daffy

Blue Valentine – Massively depressing

Gravity – ]Okay once…maybe?

Inglorious Bastards – almost saved by Christopher Waltz

Castaway – Much as I like Tom Hanks

Saving Private Ryan – The first 10-15 mins are epic, but when compared to Band of Brothers.

Interstellar is bloody brilliant…as is Aliens and I do like Avatar.

hols2
    Free Member

Castaway – Much as I like Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks sucks, he’s like the Billy Joel of movies. Has he ever done anything worthwhile?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom Hanks?

3 movies here

Bridge of Spies

Forrest Gump

Sully

The Post

Would be my quick pick of good films he has been in

P-Jay
    Free Member

Tom Hanks is great.

The Money Pit

Dragnet

Big

The ‘Burbs

Turner and Hooch

Philadelphia

Forrest Gump

Apollo 13

Toy Story(all of them)

Saving Private Ryan

The Green Mile

Cast Away

Road to Perdition

Catch me if you can

The Terminal

The Da Vinci Code

Captain Phillips

Bridge of Spies

Sully

I’ll admit a lot of his films are very middle of the road, but not all of them, there’s a decent amount of grit in there too, well considering we’re talking about Tom Hanks.

hols2
    Free Member

Bridge of Spies was boring. Forrest Gump was lame. Haven’t seen the others. Basically, Tom Hanks isn’t so bad that he shouldn’t be an actor, he’s just not very good. Any competent actor could play his roles. The great actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman, for example, take run-of-the-mill roles and make them really come to life. Tom Hanks never does that, he just turns up, reads his lines in a competent way, and banks his paycheck.

Edit.

Any actor could have played Tom Hank’s role in Saving Private Ryan. The assault on the beach was awesome, the rest of the movie was lame.

The Terminal was boring, lame nonsense.

The Green Mile was absolutely heinous. Utter bilge.

Can’t be bothered going through the rest of his films, but most of them were lame. The ones that didn’t suck could have been played by anyone. Toy Story is a great movie, but it would have been a great movie with anyone else replacing Tom Hanks.

DezB
    Free Member

Damn forum pushed me out then back onto the wrong thread! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bridge of Spies was boring

Other opinions are available, it was never a Bourne or Tom Clancy style, it was slower, made to make you think and consider while the thriller part was ramped up in a more realistic way without resorting to stupid car chases that didn’t happen. It’s a story of 2 men and hopw their lives have a significant part in history. But hey if that is boring probably avoid similar excellent films.

hols2
    Free Member

Other opinions are available

Other opinions are sadly mistaken.

DezB
    Free Member

Why has P-Jay listed a bunch of films ruined by Tom Hanks? 😆

Whilst neglecting to list his only decent film: “Splash” ?

markrh
    Free Member

Cliffhanger. Silvester Stallone at his very best! With the bonus of wonderfully (un?)realistic climbing sequences. I’ve seen this film at least 5 times and would happily spend another afternoon sprawled oh the sofa with a family bag of crisps and a Leffe or two and watch it again. Heaven.

epicyclo

Surely it has to be Silverado.

It has every Western meme and cliche known to man, and just when you think they’ve left out the widder woman with a boy and a dog, there they are. And they didn’t forget the stampede or the preacher either…

Then there’s the incongruity of Cleese playing a straight part.

I was surprised by the appearance of Martians with ray guns, but my wife tells me that must have happened in the bit when I was disturbing the cinema with my snoring.

And to top it off, it goes on, and on, and on, and on.

And on…

funkmasterp

Agree with Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins comes across a bit ‘Carry On Cannibal’ ott and camp. He’d have been caught before killing his first victim. Brian Cox portraying the same character in Manhunter is s much more believable and frightening Lector.

MrOvershoot

Agree with “There Will be Blood” not only did it plod along but all the characters were just so self centered I just didn’t care what happened to them.

The wife was also in total agreement!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44945132

Quick list of potential Oscar nods next time to avoid 😉

sirromj

That film where the guy is stuck in a phone booth. I mean phone kiosk. Oh. Phone box. He’s stuck in a goddamn phone box ffs.

edhornby

Charlie Willson’s war is a decent film that right at the end gives the American govt a punch in the face about middle eastern foreign policy. There is also some guff in that list

IdleJon

Bridge of Spies was boring. Forrest Gump was lame. Haven’t seen the others. Basically, Tom Hanks isn’t so bad that he shouldn’t be an actor, he’s just not very good. Any competent actor could play his roles. The great actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman, for example, take run-of-the-mill roles and make them really come to life.

Funny that you post about Bridge of Spies and then start talking about great actors. Bridge of Spies has a genuinely great actor in it (Mark Rylance) and is almost worth watching just for him. (And the gulf between his and Hank’s acting ability is massive.)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Gravity

I mean the signs were there; Sandra Bullock, George Clooney…

But all our friends told us it was an amazing film.

Me and the old lady watched it  **** me, what a boring film, I mean did anything actually happen?

DezB
    Free Member

You watched it on your telly didn’t you? I mean, it was by no means a brilliant film (or a shit one 😆 ) but it was quite a spectacle on the cinema screen.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Really bad really good films’ is closed to new replies.