Home Forums Bike Forum Re-dishing a wheel – how much is possible?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Re-dishing a wheel – how much is possible?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m wondering if it’d be possible to re-dish a wheel about 6-8mm to the right (drive side). It’s been built for Cannondale’s ‘Assymetric Integration (Ai) but I want to use it in a normal frame. Complication is that it’s a Mavic Crossmax, where the nipples screw into the rim from the inside, rather than screwing onto the spoke from the outside. How much length on the nipples would it need to offset the rim by about 6mm?

Cheers!

andeh

I don’t have a technical answer, but redishing is definitely doable at home. Last summer I bumped over my old wheel for the back of an old Spesh Demo I borrowed for the alps. I can’t remember the amount it moved over, but there was more than enough length on the spokes to make the move. I imagine it’ll be similar for the funny nips on your wheel?

Have a go? Undo by quarter turn all round on one side, wind it on the other, repeat until it’s where you want it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Check on the Mavic parts lists.

See if the AI wheels use the same spokes or not (And if not, you’ll be able to see the difference)

Is not going to be much difference. But depends how much margin Mavic built in…….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And 6mm dish change shouldn’t be much more than 1mm spoke length change, maybe 1.5 on a bad day.

scaredypants

I’ll be honest – I think you’ve **** it by sawing in half 🙁

(and, just give it a go – see how far you get.  I’m betting you can)

dovebiker

Make sure you give the nipples a good spray with something like ACF50 as they are notorious for corroding, plus get a metal, workshop grade nipple tool as the plastic one won’t last very long

cynic-al
    Free Member

6mm is not much at all – I doubt spoke length will be an issue.

I presume it’s a standard hub without any dish and it’s going to have a regular amount of dish – again should be no problem.

Can’t comment on seizing etc but low-spoke count wheels are a PITA to work on as they are always tensioned highly – get lub on the threads and moving surfaces.

strike
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find out almost the exact same thing – I have a set of Crossmax Enduro which I wanted to re-dish 3mm to the NDS.  Finally managed to speak with Mavic UK and had an honest (ie not company-spiel) conversation with one of their techs – his reply was you could try but chances you’ll severely compromise strength/integrity of the wheels, reasons being the ultra-tight tolerances to which these wheels are built to in combo with the low spoke-count.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Re-dishing a wheel – how much is possible?’ is closed to new replies.