Home Forums Bike Forum Quiet rear mudguard

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Quiet rear mudguard
  • tabletop2
    Free Member

I bought one of the sks mudrocker rear guards.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Mudrocker-Rear-Bike-Mudguard_241071.htm?sku=804912&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Mudguards&utm_content=SKS&gclid=CjwKCAiAu5agBhBzEiwAdiR5tMYsvM27BsYx0DHRhnGZXEPkyYjqPJ5OHp91t7tkzgc7gnsK7xe09BoCkykQAvD_BwE

The dry arse has been game changing. However it is so noisy as it rattles off the tire on the descent. If I pull it far away enough from the tire that it doesn’t rattle it hits the seat tube on full compression instead

Is the mudhugger version the same? I got the sks one as it just looks that wee bit nicer as it curves round the tire but if the mudhugger is uglier but quiter then this is fine.

Although will mean a lot of money spend on mudguards but don’t think I can go back to a soggy rear I just want a quiet bike aswell

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mudhugger is rock solid IME

scotroutes

I have 3 Mudhuggers, ranging from Fatbike (with extender) to gravel bike. They’re all silent.

steamtb

I have both that SKS and the new mudhugger. I took the SKS off because of the noise it made, the mudhugger is fine. The new version with the rubber strip and Velcro straps is great, I prefer it to the older ones I also have! :)

a11y

Mudhugger is the way. Silent on my bikes despite having to run it close to the tyre on one due to tight clearance with the seattube under full compression.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Sounds like mudhugger is the answer! Cheers

montgomery
    Free Member

Interesting. I’d been looking at the SKS to replace the totally silent Mudhugger I’ve been using for the last five years (26″ version, not quite enough coverage now I’m on 29″ wheels). Think I’ll stick with what I know works.

ajantom

I’ve had an SKS one on for a month or two now and not noticed any more noise than the Mudhugger it replaced.
    Haven’t got the extension bit fitted though, so that might flap about more?

tabletop2
    Free Member

Could just be my bike. If it was shorter travel perhaps I could get it further away from the tire.

This is already without the extension attached

bri-72

SKS is a much more rigid plastic than the MH which is part of the issue. I’ve also got the extender attached.

SKS very noisy whereas MH near silent.

Shame as the SKS looks better and seems better designed.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I used clear silicon on the noisy rattling bracket on my sks race blades. Pretty silent now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.