Home Forums Chat Forum Puppy buying advice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Puppy buying advice
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Posted a couple of times on here on this subject and always received good varied advice. Been talking about getting a puppy for a good couple of years and now that I’m unlikely to return full time to the office ever again and will be doing some blend of wfh and working in the office, the same with the wife, so seems to be right to take the plunge.

I’ve spotted a breeder on the pets4homes site and had a couple of conversations so far and all seems legit. An independent breeder and sounds fine. Looking to visit the pup after Christmas. Any advice on questions, what to look out for, anything other than the obvious to suss out of its a genuine breeder and good quality dog?

Thanks.

dannybgoode

We got our cockerpoo via an ad on Pets4Homes. Spoke to the breeder and was on the phone for a good 1 1/2-2 hours just talking about dogs; she wanted to know what experience we had, what we wanted etc and she was just very pleasant. Had called a couple of other people and they just didn’t give me a good feeling.

Went to see said puppy and got to meet ‘mum’ (first pre-requisite) and she showed us photos and paperwork for ‘dad’. From there we just went with our gut – she said she had two bitches and bred them in turn so wasn’t just churning out as many litters as possible from each one and that she only ever looked to breed when she had a full waiting list. Our pup just happened to come from a slightly larger litter.

Again, we were at her house 2 hours at least. Mum was obviously very well looked after and just curled up with our little boy, the other puppies were all very active, house was nice and well presented etc.

Breeder could also produce all the various certificates to confirm both mum and dad were free of any of the genetic diseases that can affect cockerpoos (PVA etc) together with the Kennel Club certs to show mum and dad were both pedigree etc.

Really just treat it like you would buying a car – I know that sounds a bit odd but kick the tyres so to speak and ask to see all the paperwork, chat to the owner about their history, why they breed and just chuck in some small talk. If they are keen to hurry you into a decision or get you out of the house (or don’t let you visit the house) walk away. If it doesn’t feel right walk away. There’s plenty more pups in the sea :).

And of course pics if you do get one.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid pets4homes and look for a genuine breeder by talking to other owners of the breed that you are interested (be it online or face to face).

Check out The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey. Loads of helpful advice. It’s served me well with two dogs over the last 13 years.

dannybgoode

Nothing wrong with Pets4Homes per se. Plenty of genuine breeders on there just as you can end up at a puppy farm via word of mouth. Just need to filter the noise either way.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

What breed of dog is it ? Reason I ask is if it’s a pedigree dog your first port of call should be the breed club. They will be able to guide you to a list of accredited breeders and what to look for health test wise. Note that I said health test and NOT health check. Some breeders try and fob people off saying that both parents have been health checked. All that means is a vet has checked that they have four legs and two ears. A reputable breeder tests for any genetic faults in the bloodlines of both parents that could be passed on into the puppies, causing problems as they get older. Hip (and sometimes elbows and eyes) should also be assessed and scored accordingly. The breed co efficient should also have been carried out by the breeder. Basically this means how close the bloodlines are, the lower the score the less interbreeding has gone on. (Which can cause no end of problems health and temperament wise)
    Although I know of no reputable breeders using pets4home to sell their litters it wouldn’t surprise me if some do. I would however be very suspicious of anyone selling litters on there. This is why I’d recommend getting in contact with a breed club, they will have a puppy co-ordinator who will point you to breeders with good ethics

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks both. I am cautious about ‘buying off the internet’, but assumed pets4homes is just a post board rather than an actual seller, so visiting the actual breeder is the main thing obviously. No doubt there are dodgy people on there but treating pets4homes as the intro to a breeder and exercise the best vetting practices once I meet them and the pup in person hence the request for advice.

As excited as we all are there are plenty more pups in the sea so not going to jump on the first one we meet. Everything’s has to be right.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

I’d avoid Pet4Homes too. Is there a breed club for the breed you are thinking of? They are a good point of call for being put in touch with a good breeder. I’m involved with a breed club and I know that none of the well respected breeders use that site. It’s pure word of mouth or the odd post on the club page.

Apart from the usual caveats of seeing the pup with Mum etc I’d fully expect as much questioning of me from the breeder to ensure themselves that the pup was going to a suitable home. If that didn’t happen, I’d walk.
    Ask about any testing of the pups for breed prevalent conditions. Also health of parents.

tuboflard

We got our pup off Pets4Homes. Local breeder of bulldogs who show seriously, but had a single litter of dachshunds. I’ve got no problem with buying off Pets4Homes as was just a means to see what the breeder had to offer.

Made a big difference that they were local so went three times to see him before finally picking up at 10 weeks (I think it was, crap at remembering things like that). As others have said, spend time talking to them, see the pup with mum and siblings in the natural environment. The first time we went we spoke with them for a good hour about their breeding approach, how they’ve raised the mum, what was the dad like, what they feeding him and so on. We’ve even been back a couple of times as needed him to stop for a few nights when we had to go abroad and didn’t want to kennel him so they were happy to house him. As with many things there are good and bad people at what they do. Just need to sift out the crap ones.

theotherjonv

pets4homes is for dogs as autotrader is for cars……except the selling of dogs isn’t regulated in the same way as trade sellers of cars.

As above – use it to locate potentials but then do your research properly and if it feels wrong walk away (don’t go)

The scam we have heard about when looking for ours (6 years ago mind) was of litters from puppy farms then being placed in family homes for the selling bit.

dovebiker

If the breeder is a genuine lover of their dogs, has a good breed line then expect the Spanish Inquisition as they probably have more people interested than dogs. If they seem to be too quick to take the money without asking about the puppy’s welfare, I would worry.

Good breeders will also happily take their own dogs back if there’s a problem.

One of our breeders only breeds 2-3 litters from each dog – any more isn’t good for the dog.

poolman
    Free Member

I have learnt a lot from the Facebook groups for a breed I am interested in, they talk regularly about breeders, pricing and what’s going on.

It’s the only fb group that just talk about dogs in a polite way, q refreshing really.

tuboflard

One of our breeders only breeds 2-3 litters from each dog – any more isn’t good for the dog.

Forgot to mention this, definitely worth checking. Our pups mum was retired after two litters, him being from the last.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“she said she had two bitches and bred them in turn so wasn’t just churning out as many litters as possible from each one and that she only ever looked to breed when she had a full waiting list.”

Sounds like she is!

pandhandj
    Free Member

Do they have a land line? Lots of open source research can be had if they do. We got our boy off a gumtree and this year. Followed by a lot of research…

fossy

My sister got a lab fro a reputable breeder, poor dog had really bad stomach issues for over a year, so ensure that insurance is valid. He was poorly a cuple of weeks after coming home. Wuld have cost a bomb.

We have FIVE cats, Rescue from a charity.. cost us £1k to fix.. the 3 pedigrees, nowt, altough I fell over at what MrsF paid or a cat or three.

iainc

We used Pets4homes for our recent family addition, Ollie, a couple of weeks ago

9-D1-B2-EBE-2-B8-C-49-B6-862-A-05-F3228-EA821

We sifted out to get local area and well worded adds then spoke to a few sellers and visited some. Once we decided on the best option we had a long chat with the folk, saw the litter and the mum, and all the paperwork. Also called the vets who had done first vaccinations a few days before and googled the sellers home address, scoured FB, Insta etc.

All stacked up and we picked him up a few days later. He’s been with us now for 10 days and is doing well. Bloody hard work, vets on Thursday for second vaccination and then hopefully some proper outside training by New Year.

Oh, costs more than many a bike too.. 🙄

wobbliscott
    Free Member

thanks for advice so far. will ensure I follow up with vet and parent dog credentials. The breeder says it’s all there for me to look at when we visit.

Don’t mention the costs though. Was going to hold out to see if the covid premium subsides, but no idea how long we’d be waiting for now so just decided to bite the bullet. As a family we’ve been talking about it for so long now and the main blocker has been the wife and I office working, but now that is going to change going forward as the company I work for has sold the office building I worked in and the building we have been moved to doesn’t have enough capacity for everyone, so will have to partially work from home after Covid, and the wife’s contract has changed to include 50% wfh, that is the final piece to fall into place.

montylikesbeer

Whatever you do don’t get a lab.

They get into your life and become the best mate you have ever had. If your lucky they will do multi Munro days with you and sleep in Bothys, they will swim in the sea with you on north uist, grrrrr at you when you are at the bar until you share some of your beef with them.

And suddenly they are gone.

Find your puppy from the best place you can and have a great time with your new best mate.

Monty has been gone 5 years and I miss the bugger every day

dannybgoode

“she said she had two bitches and bred them in turn so wasn’t just churning out as many litters as possible from each one and that she only ever looked to breed when she had a full waiting list.”

Sounds like she is!

I perhaps didn’t explain that properly. She bred one one year and the other the next so each one got a year off between litters. She retired them from breeding when they were 5 or 6.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I know someone always pops up on threads such as these and suggests going down the rescue route and this time it’s going to be me!
    Rescue dogs are better in every way imo.
    I’ve got a Rommie rescue. I took her in as an emergency foster but have adopted her now. She is amazing. She is super friendly with people and other dogs. Needed a bit or reassurance for the first few weeks but then decided she loves everybody.
    She was listed as 14 on the website so had very little chance of finding a home but she’s actually more like four. She just seriously run down and needed a bit of tlc and some veterinary care.
    I don’t have kids so that obviously makes it easier for me but I’m far from some kind of dog whisperer or anything like that. She’s only my second dog. I lost my first in June and there’ll never be a day that goes by when I don’t miss her.
    Anyhow, just something to think about. But I’d think really carefully before going to a breeder. The only good reason to breed is to improve the line of the breed which means any cross breeder is not doing it for the right reasons imo.
    Money is the big driver at the moment. Puppy farmers are often professional con artists and it’s easy to be conned however careful you think you’re being.
    My sister has a cross breed. Lovely dog by all accounts. But he almost certainly came from a puppy farm or one step away from a puppy farm. She is now thinking of breeding from him because he’s a “good dog”. What she really means is that he is adorable and a lovely family pet but that is no good reason to breed. If he sired a litter of eight pups, I’d bet at least half of them would end up in rescue at some point in their life.
    Anyhow, I’m not sure this post will make me popular but I just hope it makes people think about going the rescue route.

Edited to say: Try asking on the Pet Forum website, OP.
    Some of the posters are a bit objectionable and there’s a good number of gammons on the site but the long standing members have a really good knowledge of dogs and breeding.

Fantombiker

Lots of good advice above. My twopence worth is to be patient, do a lot of research into the breed/breeder and be prepared to travel the length and breadth of the country for the right dog.

We found getting a rescue dog impossible (dogs trust) and didn’t like the breeders on oets4homes. So we got a list of working cocker KC licensed breeders then phoned around for a breeder we liked then put our name down for a puppy, then went to visit twice in a 6 hour round trip.

We’ve had Maple now for 4 months and couldn’t be happier with her.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Make sure what you’re buying is actually what is being sold, I know it sounds daft but the B-I-L has just been done over royally, I’m finding it kind of funny if I’m honest as he can be a bit of a bull$h!tter sometimes. He was sold a Beagle, from what he says is a KC registered Beagle breeder, for some reason he got it at 12 weeks and not 8, now a few weeks down the line it turns out it’s a Pointer / Beagle cross :-D we’ll never get the full story, but beware as with anything in life there are some total shysters out there.

We got a lab 5 months ago, probably not the best time to buy a puppy as all the prices rocketed, we initially went to see a “reputable breeder” found off Pets4Homes and he was a total knob, the wife went with the kids (8, 6 & 4yr old boys) and as she turned up he opened the cages the dogs were kept in and a dozen labs came bounding towards them, obviously the kids were a tad scared. They picked one in the end and paid a deposit, ready to collect in 2 weeks. On the way home he phoned the wife and said he wasn’t going to allow us to have the dog as the kids were scared of the (pack of) labs, imagine that! We had to chase a bit to get the deposit back.

We did find one, rather fortunately via a friend of a friend who recommended a guy who had just had a litter, proper above board KC reg and from working dog stock on one of the local estates near here. Granted he was a tad pricey, but is full KC reg, all the required papers and tests as mentioned above, like hips, genetics etc and he’s a lovely dog (never thought I’d say that as before this I never really liked them) spends most of his time sat with me in my office, sleeping and trumping his way through the day – that’s when he’s not running round at a million miles an hour chasing fresh air and trying to eat everything in sight.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

TBH I’d wait for six months – or even four – as things will calm down and there may be a lot of rescue dogs suddenly available!
    Friend (admittedly not the most worldly person) got scammed out of a couple of hundred deposit yesterday so can confirm there are some take-the-money-and-run scammers on pets4homes RN.

Dogs Trust has got a list of charities you can foster dogs for on their website (old people in hospital, families fleeing DV etc who can’t have their pet for a while).

Up to you though – I do get the strong desire for a dog as I was the same :) but if you can let your head get a look-in that’s preferable :D

Sandwich

Monty has been gone 5 years and I miss the bugger every day

Time for a new one surely? The year I was unemployed was all the longer as we had to take the dog to the vets for the last time at the start and no new one until I had a new job.

joshvegas
    Free Member

We’re aboit to start seriously considering getting a dog.

I’ve said on other threads that people should get rescues but **** me it doesn’t look easy if you’ve never had one before.

Any top tips for actually getting a rescue dog?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you are not sure about buying one, perhaps you could Foster one first?

patagonian
    Free Member

We went through this process earlier in the year.
    Found a likely candidate on Pets4Homes but it was a farm in Wales which was a long way for us to make an inspection visit so instead we spoke to the breeder a few times and she supplied pictures.
    She mentioned she was licensed with the local council and a quick google search soon confirmed that, also found her planning application for the kennels! Also checked out it was a proper working farm again online.
    Once we decided to take it further she supplied weekly videos of our dog and did lots of little thing like used his name for training and both the mum & dad were onsite.
    It turned out to be a lovely farm with a really nice large paddock attached to the barn/kennel and she insisted on following all the covid rules to the letter and everything turned out well.
    We’ve ended up with a rather bonkers but lovely 7 month old Beagle that is full of energy but does have a problem with wind :-(

On the other hand…………….
    because of the distance we did look locally and found one 8 miles away. Did a Facetime but didn’t really like the look of the surroundings as it looked like a shed with no outdoor access (and he kept himself behind the camera). We agreed we were interested but wanted to visit and see the mum before parting with a deposit to which he declined however we insisted and a visit was arranged for the next day.
    One hour before our visit he cancelled saying his wife had taken the mum out for a walk and that he had other people interested so it was immediate deposit or he would sell it, we refused and told him to get lost. He then confirmed it was sold.
    2 days later he phoned back and said it was available again because the buyer had a child that was allergic to the puppy (a story you will hear often we found out) – we told him to get lost again and after a couple more calls he finally got the message.

So my advice is don’t just dismiss a “farm” because some of them are genuine – do your research and you should be ok.

ThePilot
    Free Member

joshvegas, some rescues are ridiculous with their demands but I think many just want you to have put a bit of effort in. Make sure your garden is secure. Make sure you have time for the dog and the time it will be left alone is reasonable (people will disagree with me but a few hours a day and you’d have to build up to that). Have plans in place for what would happen in a crisis. Think about what you’d do for holidays.

Try looking on Dogsblog. It’s a site where loads of rescues advertise.

After that, my advice would be to treat every prospective dog like a job interview. I mean, have a look around, find one you like, then do some research based on what they say.
    For instance, would you take a reactive dog? If so, do some research on fear reaction in dogs and have a chat with a local rewards-based trainer before you enquire about the dog.
    Dog with separation anxiety. Read up on it and let the rescue know you take it seriously and will work with them and the dog to help the dog get over it.
    Read up on brain training. If you’re an active person, it’s easy to over exercise dogs and brain training, getting them to do puzzles and the like, search activities, working things out activities are essential really if you’ve got a clever dog. Physical activity is important too of course but often they need their brain tiring out.

I think you’re based in the Borders and I’ll make the assumption you would want an active dog. Have a look here:
    https://www.borderspetrescue.org/product/milo-5/
    I think he looks fab but not for everyone obviously.

If you go down the dogs from overseas route, there are loads on FB and many advertise on Dogsblog too. Rommie rescues can be challenging from what I know but mine’s been a dream. I think the description of the dog is usually more accurate than it was with mine too! It’s a wonderful thing to see a dog who really has got nothing to live for become happy and content and finally, whatever their age, have the chance to have a puppyhood of sorts at least.

Anyhow, good luck whatever you decide. I think it’s brilliant you asked btw. I didn’t do enough research before I got my first dog and the rescue didn’t help. She was fear reactive but I wasn’t told – they would have rehomed her to anyone. I had to learn pretty fast but it could have been so much better if I’d understood fear reaction and known what to do beforehand.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Rescue, rescue, rescue, rescue.

There are so many dogs (and puppies) in rescues up and down the land in desperate need of a loving home, why would you not? The right dog is never the wrong breed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve seen enough puppy threads on here to know it’s important to make sure you do your research. Was going to see one on the 27th but someone is going to see her tomorrow, so may miss out on that one but didn’t want to put a deposit down blind without seeing the dog first and being sure it was one for us. I’m not getting onto a competition with other prospective owners and if we miss out on this one so be it.

RustyNissanPrairie

As above re rescues.

Try Manchester Dogs home – bloody brilliant. We got 6year old Bert from them just over two years ago – he is absolutely the same dog as they described. The people there are full time and get to really know the dogs character and personality. We don’t have a garden – there reply was “good – at least you’ll take it for a walk rather than it having a quick poo in the garden”, other dogs homes wanted garden’s.
    I do between 6 and 10miles a day with him.

Bert was a stray and thought to be a Malamute/Collie cross – we did a DNA test and he turns out to be a rare purebred Karelian Bear Dog.

There are too many dogs out there that need love without encouraging scum breeders and their cashing in prices. Bert was the best £130 I’ve ever spent on anything.

4-F468153-6-B47-4-E40-BF42-4-B10-C4-F4-CE52
    81-F0-A122-6-E95-4-A3-A-92-AC-530-BED3-CDBFF
    015842-FD-6-DF4-4448-97-B8-980-FBB250502
    32-EB4357-D675-4216-9-E22-99-E144-C7-A35-Dphoto url

dannybgoode

@RustyNissanPrairie – I second Bert being an immense dog. I’d happily have stolen him off you if I didn’t think he’d have had my arm 😂

Vader
    Free Member

Bert for PM!

Much awesomeness

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks!-
    He was in Manchester Dogs home for four months which is a long time for them so he was pretty unloved.

I’m not a ‘dog whisperer’ but with lots of love and consistency he has turned out great from day one.
    Friends have a similar success story with a Spanish dogs rehoming charity and their Andalusia Sheep Dog.

Another for rescues from this new poster.

Archie came to us initially as a foster, then lockdown hit and the inevitable happened.
    They can be as much work and effort as a puppy to be fair; when he came to us he was a really anxious dog due to mistreatment. He’s come a long way, much more relaxed now.

Archie

ThePilot
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrarie, Bert is an awesome dog! Absolutely gorgeous. I know it’s not the point but I’d hate to think what he would have cost from a breeder!

As for asking the breeder questions about the pup, it’s kind of missing the point. It’s not only about that one specific pup. It’s about the dogs kept in cages while they wait for someone to buy them. It’s about the dodgy mating practices where the dogs have to be helped by humans to mate. It’s about the poor bitch who is forced to go through whelping at least once, often multiple times, and then often times gets chucked out of the only ‘home’ she’s known when she gets too old to produce pups. It’s about the other members of the litter which weren’t so lucky as your pup. It’s about those who might not be considered perfect and who the breeder can’t sell and end up in rescue (if they are lucky) for someone to deal with. It’s about filling up shelters with yet more unwanted dog (in time). It’s about denying a dog in rescue of a potential home.
    Dog breeding as a rule is a vile business and imo at least should not be encouraged.
    If you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem, as far as I’m concerned.
    And just for balance, I’m part of the problem on loads of things. Drive a petrol car, have a log burner etc etc.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Well said. I can bet you anything you like it’ll be ignored though..

RustyNissanPrairie

Premier Icon
    ThePilot
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrarie, Bert is an awesome dog! Absolutely gorgeous. I know it’s not the point but I’d hate to think what he would have cost from a breeder!

We have no idea where he came from – there are no breeders in the UK, I have only found one other KBD in the UK since and that was also a stray. They are the national dog of Finland. I’m only saying this as a note that dogs homes aren’t just full of Staffies/Husky’s/once fashionable dogs. Our friends rescue Andalusia Sheep Dog is also a stunning dog.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Milo looks ace. Not sure about the size as there is a slight history for my other half with bigger dogs and we have a wee flat (groundfloor door straight out to secure garden and all the non livestocked fields of the borders to play in.

I just want a dug to be part of the family. Holidays etc already cleared with the parents. Its really just about working out how/if we will be a good home.

Bert looks ace.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Some good advice on here. I would go rescue every time. When ever I hear of first time owners getting a Beagle I have a slight chuckle then wish them the best of luck. It’s like getting triplets the first time you have kids! Bear looks a fantastic hound. There are some great dedicated rescue societies for specific breeds with a wealth of knowledge on those breeds and any specific problems they may have.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Puppy buying advice’ is closed to new replies.