Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • PSA XTR cranks
  • davros
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

It’s quite tragic really, but I’m slightly tempted by this. 120g saving for £200.

What have I become…

davros

A tragic weight weenie like me?

I’d been keeping my eye out for some 170mm and these popped up so couldn’t resist marginal gains and bling.

Also merlin have SLX for £75 which is a proper bargain.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m7100-single-12-speed-chainset-with-chainring-180723.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=104229&source=PHG

Akers

Bargain, Cheers! I was after another set of 165mm cranks. :0)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@davros is it yourself that has an Occam, or am I imagining things?
    Which model is it?
    What weight is it these days?

Also, 52mm chainline…. anyone know if that’s what I need fir boost wheels? Guess so given the 148 in the title…..

Must resist…..

bobodaclown

Cheers for this, a good deal that.

The SLX @ Merlin is a great price as well.

Good to see some discounted kit popping up again, I know it is a sin but a shame their is not much road kit popping up as need to rebuild the commuter bike. Fingers crossed some new supply trickles through again.

gingerflash

Just bought those SLX cranks. Nice price.

davros

@thegeneralist yeah I’ve got an M30. Not sure what it weighs as I only have cheap luggage scales. Maybe around 13.5kg. And yeah, 52mm for boost 👍

stanstorey
    Free Member

Just to add….I ordered some 165mm xtr from chain reaction, which have just arrived.
    I justified them by pricing up xt which often don’t come with a chainring, which then adds another £45+, making my justification for another unnecessary bike purchase totally ok 😁

And to add further…they come lose in a box rattling around, chain reaction seem to have run out of any form of bubble wrap.
    So maybe they’re OEM part, like the pikes, race Face cranks etc

kelvin

“maybe”?

gingerflash

Am surprised they didn’t send them in packaging the size of a rain barrel.

Alex

Been looking for some 165s. They only had 2 pairs left. Now they have one. Thanks for the PSA 🙂

Vortexracing

just ordered the last 165mm ones 🙂 Thats a 1/4lb off the bike

thanks for the PSA

Will these work with an 11 speed set-up BTW?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They’re for 12 speed.

( which doesn’t fully answer your question I guess)

Alex

Is the chaining thinner/different for 12 speed? Not sure. Guess there’s one way to find out!

davros

Mine arrived, ordered last night. As above, loose in the box but did come with the chainring tool. They look great. I can’t wait to mash them into some rocks and ruin the lovely finish 😬

Be warned, these are installed differently to other Shimano cranks. Rather than the 2 bolt system, It’s SRAM style with a 50nm single crank bolt. So you might need a torque wrench if you don’t have one already.

5lab

the chainring should be marginally thinner for 12speed but not to the point that I think you’ll notice it. The potential problem would be slightly worse chain retention

Speeder

Oooh I could save 30g over my SixCs and be confident the inserts won’t fall out but it’s another £75 quid for an oval ring as well.

Nice PSA though cheers

nedrapier

slightly panicked on the SLX cranks, trying to work out if I “needed” them for anything in the shed. 175mm. I like 170. Panic over.

While I’m on, I’m sitting on some appreciating classic XT M785, 40-28, , 175mm Black BNIB w BB.

Perfect for your gravelxtourer, sir…

Northwind

Curse you 165mm thieves, curse you all!

lardman
    Free Member

this…. Barstewards.

ta11pau1

I’ve read even sram chains don’t work well with the shimano 12 speed chainrings, shame as I need a new shimano crankset for my Jeffsy to go with the hope BB…

Vortexracing

Barstewards.

Sorry guys, but in my defence I only have 27.5″ legs 🙁

Vortexracing

Mine arrived, ordered last night. As above, loose in the box but did come with the chainring tool.

Mine arrived with no tool included 🙁

might be time for an email to CRC

Akers

Mine arrived with no tool included 🙁

Mine arrived today with the tool.
    Give them a call.

Vortexracing

Give them a call.

i will and report back 🙁

chestrockwell

Thieves and scoundrels, one and all.

damitamit
    Free Member

Mine arrived today. Loose in the box so obviously it’s scratched! CRC are jokers.

Alex

Mine turned up the day after ordering, loose in the box but with lots of packaging and the NDS crank was still wrapped. So in perfect condition thankfully.

I am revelling in my scoundrel-ness 🙂

pothead
    Free Member

Mine turned up today, loose in the box but no scratches or damage, chainring tool included

Vortexracing

Well got an email back from CRC, advising me to buy the tool from bikester (TL-FC41) and bill them and they will refund me the total including the postage.

Can’t knock that, really good fast service, they even sourced the tool and sent me a link to buy it.

Thumbs up for CRC, 🙂

Northwind

Ah well screw you all my scabby M970 165mms from ebay just arrived in the post. Never wanted shiny new cranks anyway.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Forgive me for resurrecting the thread, and perhaps getting people’s hopes up.

Just on the off-chance, did any of you 165mm xtr crank bods decide you dint like them after all, and want to flog them?

whatgoesup

Amateurs

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mWLkGg]18FE3BDC-948F-4098-A741-3748FFC61A17[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You fool. I just want them for the weight gain. If you write 441grammes on the side *then* I’ll be impressed.🤗

whatgoesup

Some people are easily pleased. They’re probably a bit lighter now that the paint has worn off too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mWLtef]B5187B39-4E26-42C7-AD33-FF44405B8648[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr

Northwind

thegeneralist

Forgive me for resurrecting the thread, and perhaps getting people’s hopes up.

Just on the off-chance, did any of you 165mm xtr crank bods decide you dint like them after all, and want to flog them?

If you do, I will pay £1 more than thegeneralist.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

DAHHHHHH!

Can’t find any info on the web about how to install the crankset. Found one particularly useless video that explains how to install a new chainring, starting with an unmounted crankset, but no info on how to get the **** crankset off (or on ) in the first place.

anyone know?

sillyoldman

Installation instructions here.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/MAFC002/DM-MAFC002-10-ENG.pdf

For those on 11 spd – run a Shimano 12 spd chain – proper chain retention due to the specific extended inner plates, and causes no issues at the rear – got that combo on a bike with a GX 11-42 11 spd cassette.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I trashed mine trying to remove them, the extraction bolt wouldn’t self extract.

There appears to be a plastic spacer under the outer bolt cover which the extractor should brace against and push the crank off.

My spacer collapsed under the load of the extractor and came out in bits (which is how I realised its there) but the result was the extractor bolt didn’t have a square surface to back out against, twisted in the axle and destroyed its thread (axle fine).

Crc refunded them but about a week later I found bolts & tools on ebay to replace the original ones.

It’s clearly enough of an issue for a third party to see a market to make and sell the tooling…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.