Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • PSA: Salsa fat conversion freehub replacement
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi All,

If, like me, you have Salsa Fat Conversion 12mm through axle fat bike hubs (170 or 197), and also repeatedly have pawls breaking on the freehub body, then good news!

Turns out that a SRAM X9 freehub body for 142x12mm axles (I got the Shimano cassette version) is exactly the same and fits perfectly. Hurrah!

This has been a a pretty much annual issue with my Salsa rear hub, either in 170mm flavour (from Mukluk a few years ago), or 197mm as from my current 3 year old Surly ICT. At some point, the rear pawls will fail. Previously you could get the actual Formula/salsa replacements but they were not cheap (say 70-ish quid), but these have been unavailable through the main distributor for a couple of years now. (QBP?)

Hub replacement is a bit expensive obvs, so a bit of google foo showed that folks on MTBR had found that this free hub is exactly the same, only about 20 quid and in plentiful supply on eBay.

Hurrah!

Hope this might help some folks.

Ticklinjock

Oooh… Thanks for that.

I couldn’t find replacement pawls, but found your post when I was searching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Salsa fat conversion freehub replacement’ is closed to new replies.