Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • PSA Planet X tyre inserts
  • wukfit
    Free Member

For anyone looking for cheap tyre inserts Planet X have them for £15 inc valves (and spare core and removal tool)
    Not sure how good they are as I’m running Vittoria air liners (about 8 times the price)
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSBARANA/barbieri-anaconda-puncture-protection-system-inc-carbon-tubeless-valves

asbrooks

Blimey and I was thinking of doing it DIY.

brant
    Free Member

Price going up on Monday.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Be good if they sold them in singles – just need one for back of my hardtail

mattbee

Couple of sets arrived today. Will fit tomorrow so I’ll do a mini report then on the install.

Rik
    Free Member

So which one do you but if you have 27.5×2.6 tyres? 😶

BearBack
    Free Member

Ordered for the kids bike, cheers!

coomber
    Free Member

Great psa

Terrene tyres for 13.99 after discount is ridiculous value. Going to get a pair see what they are like

chakaping
    Free Member

The Terrene Chunk 2.3in is a very decent trail bike tyre, got one a while ago. I’d only use it on the rear though.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Looks a good price including valves but I can see why they are so cheap

https://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/50mm-grey-closed-cell-circular-polyethylene-foam-backer-rod.html
    £16 for 10x 2 metres 50mm or £12 for 40mm
    Was chatting to the sales lad when picking up huddersfield, loads of sales to mtbers

mattbee

I’m looking at it as a set of tubeless valves with some free ‘inserts’.

Have actually got some 50mm backing rod for work and it looks basically the same.

Will give it a try anyway.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

How do you work out what size backer rod for different width tyres. I want to fit some to my commuter which has 28mm tyres which are already tulles but due to the state of some of the roads I have to go down I can feel the rim get hit regularly also which width would I go for for 2.35 tyres 40 or 50?

greyspoke
    Free Member

If you are looking at it for the valves, 35mm is a bit short for deeper rims lilke some carbon ones.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Interested to hear reviews from buyers once they’ve had a chance to try them. From reviews of other inserts there appears to be a compromise to choose between weight and effectiveness. These are very light

stoddys
    Free Member

Might be a silly question but I will ask it anyway.

Douse the Stan’s soak into the foam?

weeksy

Fitted them to a mates bike a few weeks ago. Imo it handles horribly now. Back end is all over the place. That and being horrific with a Trail Boss to fit, means a no from me.
    The Nobby nic went in easier.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Ordered Sunday morning and they were delivered today .. incredible service

K

I’ve just fitted the Anacondas to 27.5 2.8 maxxis tyres and had a quick test.

Surprised how light they are. The compound is more hard plastic feeling foam than a spongey rubber and don’t feel particularly pliable so don’t know how this will affect durability. But does seem like it’s shouldn’t absorb too much sealant.
    Valves have nice features, I cap over the slot to stop the insert blocking the hole.

They take up most of the volume of the tyre. Fitting was easier than expected but I did spill some sealant as it was displaced by the insert if not careful. Not as tight on the rim as FTD so easier to get the tyre on.

Riding
    They seem to offer good amount of rim protection because the tyre bottoms out on the insert quicky. Not tried a full hit in to something that I know will kill a tyre with out an insert. There is a set of roots I use that if hit wrong (or right in this case) you catch the last one very heavy, I’ve dented rims before on it but I definitely felt the insert blocking the impact.

It would probably work to limp the end of a ride keeping the tyre on the rim with a puncture.

Cornering hard you can feel the tyre running on the insert, at lower pressure this feels very odd as the tyre squirming but with the firm support of the insert, maybe wallow and pushing kind of feel.

I need to have more time on them to see if there is a sweet spot pressure. But I felt the compound is too firm or fast to rebound as you really can feel when your on the insert. They don’t have the same damping feel of the Flat Tyre Defender.

With low pressure the grip on a really low speed steep slippery off camber was impressive with the tyre deforming to have a massive contact patch, but it didn’t feel at all precise to hold a line.

I might end up trimming the top of the insert down to try to get some more air space between the tyre insert and improve the softness.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“Douse the Stan’s soak into the foam?”

I think there are two types of foam, open-cell and closed-cell, depending on whether the gaps in the foam are sealed. I’m guessing these are closed-cell.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fitting was easier than expected

Good to hear cheers, I’ve also got a pair to put in Maxxis 2.8in tyres.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve just received a pair to try on some WTB i29 rims and a new 2.3 Hans Dampf.
    interesting to see if I’ve bought some nice sidewall and rim protection or some pool noodles for holiday!

K

Rode them some more last night, my conclusion is they are too fast to rebound and make the ride harsh and hard work, they also don’t seem to roll as quickly therefore the benefits of pluss is lost. Cornering when there is some grip lower pressure the tyre deforms down to the insert and the seems to slide around on it making, this makes the front feel like it’s pushing out.
    At a pressure that prevents this squirming the tyre rebounds off things harshly so catching roots mid corner kicks you off line a lot more than it should. I had to slow the suspension rebound to compensate. I also think the volume of the 2.8-3 in a 2.8″ maxxis is too large.

They definitely do offer rim protection but I don’t think it’s worth the loss in confidence.
    It’s not so bad in the back but the front is too much.

I will report back when I’ve tried trimming the top off to try to give the tyre some space…

mulacs

Anyone else querying the size of the inserts received? The sizes on the website don’t really correspond to the sizes on the packaging, which gives a tyre size and rim width. There’s no indication as to which size you’ve got beyond a sticker placed by PX (presumably) on the packaging…
    apart from that uncertainty, they look good, nice and light, valves look good. Happy and hoping they fit!

asbrooks

@K, this seems to be the consensus with this type of insert. I’ve just purchased one of those backer rods in the link above. I intend to cut it along its length to get a semi-circle insert. That way it should protect the rim and allow the tyre to compress as it should.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Done 3 rides on mine
    650b maxxis minion dhf 2.5 wt
    Fitted to 30mm rims
    Went in easy and everything is perfect.
    I wasn’t expecting to run lower pressures even though they take up quite a bit of the volume in the tyre.
    I run very conservative pressures usually but have gone 24_22psi and it feels perfect.
    No issues like above poster but knowing how plus tyres can squrm with low pressures that could be an issue for him .

BearBack
    Free Member

Based on the concerns above, I ordered another 26″ set but went for the smaller 1.9-2.25 size this time figuring it would stop the need to slice open the noodle and keep the outer surface as low surface area to avoid sealant waste.
    Will install soon.

martins963

I ordered these thinking they may be the answer to protecting my soft Hope enduro rims after putting some small dings after some particularly poor line choices on my hardtail, but after riding with them at the weekend they will be coming out and I’ll take the risk on the rim!

I ran them with Maxxis DHF and Aggressor 2.3″ tyres, my go-to tyres, playing with pressures and they transformed the bike from a playful stable bike, to an almost unrideable mess. You can feel the point where you transfer from being on the tyre, to running on the insert in corners and it feels like the tyre has lost grip momentarily. At the rear the rebound of the insert pings all over the place.

I’ll wash off the sealant and the kids can use them in the paddling pool when the weather improves where I think they will be more fit for purpose….

Big-Bud
    Free Member

No idea why your getting rebound issues .remember these aren’t Intended to allow you to run very low pressure. If any the you should be running close or bang on your regular psi and these should he a backup for a mistakes or to protect the rim if you flatten suddenly

K

The rebound issue is because they take up air volume in the tyre therefore the pressure increases faster to a given deformation (like volume spacers in your air spring but they are foam so will compress under pressure) If the insert is made from a faster rebounding material this will amplify the affect of the tyre returning to faster and therefore pushes harder against the suspension and increasing the force felt as rebound.

To contrast I’ve got another brand fitted to another bike and they actually make the tyres feel calmer, with them in I actually run a couple of clicks faster on the suspension rebound to give more of a pop feel. I was hoping that the Anaconda would have the same kind of effect.

honeybadgerx

I’ve been running ratbite inserts to good effect on my full sus. Similar to these but closer to half tyre volume so doesn’t seem to effect initial give in the tyre. Very light too, so will see how durable they are but also very cheap. Just got a pair for my travel bike so will see how they go.

peachos
    Free Member

Does anyone know the diameter of the 29×3.0 anaconda foam?

coomber
    Free Member

Pass. I ordered the 2.3-2.5 and they are massive. I can see why there are comments as above lack of air space, looks like they will fill the tyre completely!

I think mine will be used for swimming, the valves look good though. But from comments above and seeing them as they’ve arrived, I am very dubious about using them.

LAT

@k

To contrast I’ve got another brand fitted to another bike and they actually make the tyres feel calmer

What is the other brand you’re using?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Fitted one to the rear on the full sus never got round to the front and used the bike of two rocky days in the lakes (Walna scar and Helvellyn) and a worry for the Hope w35s at the best of times , running at 24 psi rear with a 2.5 the rims are still true and un dented ,, well worth the £18 spent

peachos
    Free Member

I disagree with the comments about them affecting the handling of the bike. Just fitted them to my other bike (FS 170mm travel) and been at BPW last weekend. Didn’t notice any difference to the handling of saod bike at all & so far 100% success rate of defending against flats! So all good in my book & I want to fit some to my 29er, but none in stock, hence trying to find the diameter of the 29+ kit so I can purchase some foam separately…

coomber
    Free Member

I’m going to 180 on the above comments and fit them this weekend. Will report back (peachos if I don’t get on with them I’ll post them to you if you want them?)

peachos
    Free Member

Nice one, I’ll take them off you if you don’t get on with them. Will check back next week.

richg
    Free Member

I fitted a pair over the weekend (went in quite easily thankfully). Got them on special for £12.50 a couple of weeks ago.

They are a good snug fit, around the rim, but not too much force required to get them on.
    I’m running a 2.3 Spesh Hillbilly up front, and a 2.5 WTB Convict on the back.

Had a first run out on them last night and i’m really impressed. I’m sure the back will protect the rim well, but it was up front i was most impressed. Running lower pressures (about 20-22psi i reckon) up front and tested on a range of surfaces from rocky boulders to fast flat corners the grip was way better. No discernable tyre squirm or burps, just grip and lots of it.

Dead impressed.

pedlad

Thinking about these for alps trip carbon wheel protection,but interesting that there’s real division in the reviews. Rat bites website has notice that they’ve ceased trading so unless there’s other low cost options I don’t know about this seems worth testing.

I’ll do some test rides ahead of the trip but wondered if it’s worth getting the smaller tyre width version to provide a bit more air space…or would that just mean it’s not seated properly?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘PSA Planet X tyre inserts’ is closed to new replies.