Home Forums Bike Forum PSA Cheap scandal frames

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • PSA Cheap scandal frames
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Ordered a big dog which arrived today. Great service and well packed.

Everything correct. Only gripe is that Planet X state it will take a 2.6 Which is ambitious at best. 2.35 vee flow snap (which is a pretty big 2. 35) is about 3-4mm off the non drive side stays and about 8mm off the drive side.

Probably ok for a 2.4, which is about as big as I will likely use, with a slight re dish of the rear wheel but it’s annoying.

snotrag

Yep mines here too, great big box, well wrapped up. Axle, headset and seat collar all basic stuff as expected but perfectly functional.

Stonking good value for £150!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Everything correct. Only gripe is that Planet X state it will take a 2.6 Which is ambitious at best. 2.35 vee flow snap (which is a pretty big 2. 35) is about 3-4mm off the non drive side stays and about 8mm off the drive side.

If a manufacturer claims a given tyre size will fit, I’d expect them to mean it will turn without rubbing the frame. 2.35″ is 59.7mm, 2.6″ is 66mm. If, you’ve got 3-4mm spare on one side and 8mm the other then it sounds as though 2.6″ would fit without needing to dish the wheel, as per stated spec.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If a manufacturer claims a given tyre size will fit, I’d expect them to mean it will turn without rubbing the frame. 2.35″ is 59.7mm, 2.6″ is 66mm. If, you’ve got 3-4mm spare on one side and 8mm the other then it sounds as though 2.6″ would fit without needing to dish the wheel, as per stated spec.

Like everything else you’ve never thought of, there’s an ISO standard for that, or maybe it’s an EN one. Either way there’s definitely an actual number as to what constitutes enough tyre clearance.

But then that’s entirely down to tyre manufacturers then plucking a number out of the air that bares much resemblance t reality.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

If a manufacturer stated you can use a frame with a 2.6 tyre I would expect there to be enough room for mud clearance and it not to rub on the stays when flexing, which I’m pretty sure it would, even if the rear wheel was re dished slightly (which in itself shouldn’t need to be done for a wheel to sit central in a frame). The wheel is literally 3mm closer to the non drive side.

It’s a shame as it’s actually a nicely designed frame and looks well finished.

bish

Just got home to find mine has arrived.
    It’s not quite as orange as I expected.
    Was packaged reasonably well, the gear hanger was poking out of the box though, doesn’t seem to be bent so all’s good.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

If a manufacturer stated you can use a frame with a 2.6 tyre I would expect there to be enough room for mud clearance and it not to rub on the stays when flexing, which I’m pretty sure it would, even if the rear wheel was re dished slightly (which in itself shouldn’t need to be done for a wheel to sit central in a frame). The wheel is literally 3mm closer to the non drive side.

It’s a shame as it’s actually a nicely designed frame and looks well finished.

Fair enough. Get yourself a Spesh 2.6 tyre then and you’ll be fine :)

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Aye, true enough. Be reet with a 2.3/4.

J273
    Free Member

I ordered a big dog and being 6ft went with a large which I’m hoping will be OK?

Mines on back order, expected on the 13th. Not sure if I’m making this up but I’m sure I read on here the next Batch or big dog frames have a slight revision?

plus-one

Opened up my scandal box this morning. Good sturdy box with foam protection on the important bits and drop out spacer fitted(even though axle was fitted) looks very well finished and looks good.

See frame is up to £499 now without any bits ! Was it ever £499 ?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’m just under 6 foot and toyed with a Medium but went with the Large in the end

What are the changes to the Big Dog?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Will be interested to see if this is true:

650b x 2.8 fits (just).

singlespeedstu

Was tempted by the Hello Dave, having seen Guy Kesteven’s glowing revjew, but then he mentioned that the current batch only take a 160mm rotor due to a mistake on a drawing. Seems to be no mention of this on the PX website.

I emailed em about this a little while ago and they have confirmed it’ll only take a 160 rotor.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Will be interested to see if this is true:

650b x 2.8 fits (just).

650b 2.8 Nobby Nic fits pretty easily in mine. However, I don’t know what the definition of ‘just’ and I could be easily pleased. There’s at least 5mm space either side on seat and chain stays.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

By the way, Wiggle have 170mm drop 30.9 Crank Bros Highline posts for £120. Seems to show as 125mm drop on the page but 170 in the add to basket bit and on the order. 170 arrived anyway. I have the same dropper on another bike and it’s a nice bit of kit – with two year warranty.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yep, my XL arrived well packaged and gratifyingly unblemished. Picture below with a 2011/12 26er 21″ Cannondale frame on top for reference…

snotrag

In classic style mines gone from

– cheap as possible, use what i can from the garage, make it as light and simple as possible

To

– looking like it’s gonna end up as a pretty nicely specced trail smasher with big tyres, wide wheels, dropper, etc 😂

My forks from France are due Thursday, and I’ve just picked up some nice Mavic Trail elites, boost, wide-ish and light.

plus-one

@snotrag good lad keep up the good work :) Dying breed etc ;)

mattbee

The Mrs barely uses her mtb any more now she’s got an e-road/gravel bike (knackered knees) so I bought one of these frames to swap all the bits over and use as a ‘messing in the woods’ type bike (my ‘main’ bike being a short travel xc/marathon fs that’s built for long distance rather than tech).
    Of course, the fork steerer was too short and the dropper doesn’t fit and the wheels aren’t boost so new forks and dropper already on way, either new wheels or boost adapters depending what I find and then I wonder whether I should just get brakes/drivetrain and leave her bike complete, may just be easier!

bish

Forks arriving today.
    Wheels ordered.
    It looks like I’ve done the same as @snotrag it’s gone from being planned as a cheap hack build to a nice but expensive build.

drewd

My Big Dog arrived yesterday. I had a go at fitting the headset last night but was struggling with it and getting annoyed so gave up and had a beer instead. I’ll try again later.

I need to source some wheels but everything else will come off my current bike.

core

My headset went in lat night, seems reasonable quality, home made press had some sophisticated new parts farbricated as last headset was 1″ 1/8 that went in just with big washers:

null

8mm hex head for the rear axle is an odd one – who carries an 8mm on a ride??? Me now…

plus-one

Luckily I have a jobsworth headset press. It’s also pressed a few bb cups in too :)

dogthomson

My bargain Rebas arrived from Alltricks today. Look great for the money and in a nice matching stealthy black.

What wheels has everyone gone for? I didn’t really want to spend more than £200 on a wheelset but I’m struggling!

blitz

Sun ringle Duroc 35s on my big dog. £135 from CRC but now out of stock.

bish

I went for these
    https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/stans-no-tubes-flow-s1-29er-wheelset

Wish is read the other thread about winstanleys before ordering though.
    It looks like they will be coming directly from the supplier so fingers crossed I should get them.

mattbee

There are a few oem takeoff wheel sets on eBay at around 150-200.
    I just bought a set for £120 that had come off a Whyte, came with both Sram and Shimano freehubs.

drewd

Sun ringle Duroc 35s on my big dog. £135 from CRC but now out of stock

Are you running 29er or 27.5 plus? And what size tyres are you running? I am trying to decide between the two.

ttf
    Free Member

Mine arrived on Monday morning much to my surprise after a rather boozy Sunday… And with that, I’m back in the MTB world having gone ‘full roadie’ over the last 6 or so years!

I used to be fairly clued up on MTBs and kit, but absolutely stumped now… Boost… 1x… Dropper posts. Crikey.

Whilst I get myself back in the game, can anyone recommend any bargains suitable for these Scandals? I’m going for an XC build: I want to go quite light, but whilst keeping an eye on the budget / sourcing 2nd hand. Can anyone advise on the following areas of the build? Hopefully this might be generic enough to provide a bit of help to a number of new Scandal owners!

Forks: Seems that around 120mm is right for these. Rebas/SIDs used to be my go-to, should they still be?
    Gearing: 1x what? Is 11spd old tech now…? I’m quite keen on some lightweight, well-used Sram carbon bits. What ratio is considered most middle-ground these days?
    Wheels: Pretty set on a pair of Hunt’s… unless there’s a more affordable, fairly lightweight option?
    Brakes: Magura appear to be back in the game! Would a second hand set of MT6’s be worth hunting down or are Shimano XTs a better bet?
    Finishing kit: The On-One carbon flat bar looks like a no-brainer! Any problems…?

Excited to get this build underway! I’m keeping a classifieds tab open at all times but if anyone’s got anything to sell which seems suitable for what I’m after, please do drop me an email: Nug8321 [at] hotmail [dot] com

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Slightly irritated with the cable routeing. It’s a 1x frame but the down tube twin cable entry is on the non-drive side so you have to route either the dropper cable or rear brake line without going round the headtube.

The orange seems to mark very easily – I’ve already managed to get some sort of black mark on the top tube, which won’t come off. Better get it built and muddy quick.

damascus
    Free Member

@core

8mm hex head for the rear axle is an odd one – who carries an 8mm on a ride??? Me now…

On the scandal page there’s a link to a rear maxle replacement. It’s a ktm maxle that’s about £20. I couldn’t live with carrying an 8mm key around that weighed more than. The maxle.

blitz

@ Drewd

Runnng 29s. 2.3 DHF and Agressor. Seems good so far. First time using the Agressor. Usually run DHR2 or Ardents on the rear. Feels as quick as an Ardent but better cornering and braking grip. I like it.

With regards to the rear axle, I carry a Topeak Hexus anyway which luckily has an 8mm Hex on it.

drewd

Runnng 29s. 2.3 DHF and Agressor. Seems good so far. First time using the Agressor. Usually run DHR2 or Ardents on the rear. Feels as quick as an Ardent but better cornering and braking grip. I like it.

With regards to the rear axle, I carry a Topeak Hexus anyway which luckily has an 8mm Hex on it.

Ah ok, cheers. I remember seeing the Durocs last year but they were 27.5.

montgomery
    Free Member

Rummages around in tool box…

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA Cheap scandal frames’ is closed to new replies.