Home Forums Bike Forum Probably a stupid question? (Tell me im an Idiot)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Probably a stupid question? (Tell me im an Idiot)
  • bigalid

With too much time on my hands, I have been looking on the internet at bikes (Like everyone else)

I have found this website through a mountain bike group on Facebook

http://mtbclearancesale.com/

I know the site is very dogey looking, with prices that are too good to be true,
    BUT…
    If you were to pay with a credit card, would you not be covered if the wrong thing or nothing turned up?

A 2017 Santa cruz 5010 or a Hightower for about £1k with full warranty looks awfully tempting

So in the words of Dr Pepper – Whats the worse that can happen?

tomhoward

So you’d quite happily give your credit card details to a dodgy website?

tthew

You get tugged for handling stolen goods?

Edit – not what I assumed. You know what they say, if it looks too good to be true…..

nickc

You’re an idiot.

seriously though,

You’re an idiot.

zippykona

Nice PSA. Anthem for a grand less than on Paul’s.

Must not press the button!

duncancallum

Email them

See if you can find any one who’s used them

hols2
    Free Member

They seem to be based in Malaysia
    http://mtbclearancesale.com/pages/Contact.html

Office is listed as in this shopping mall, but there doesn’t seem to be a bike shop there.
    https://berjayatimessquarekl.com/about-us/

bigalid

I had a look at where they were based, and yes the massive shopping complex they are apparently in, has no listing for them, or any other bike shop.

Safe to say they are not getting my credit card number.

Still cant see the end goal though, unless someone pays without a credit card?

tomhoward

Still cant see the end goal though,

To steal as much money as possible before anyone notices. HTH.

DezB
    Free Member

They’ve got 2019 bikes listed under “New products” so I’d guess the site hasn’t been updated in a while.
    Some small details give away scamminess – like Orange Segment 2017 – you can order a small, even though they didn’t make a small.. I’m sure there are other giveaways, if you cared to delve.

kcal

Get credit card, nothing happens, you claim back off credit card in a few months, by that time they’ve taken cash and are long gone?

krixmeister

See if you can find any one who’s used them

I think that’s what OP is trying to do here.

Having lived in Singapore and been to Berjaya Times Square, I can say with 100% certainty there is no bike shop, let alone this one, there.

They seem to have a sister site http://bestroadbikedeals.com/

Not saying they are a scam, but it feels pretty dodgy. Generally most of these brands would be significantly more expensive in Malaysia due to import duties, etc. I wouldn’t trust my money or CC# to them.

leffeboy

They can also just sell the credit card details on the dark web. They don’t even need to try and cash out themselves so you don’t have any dodgy transactions and  don’t bother to flag it with cc company until much later

slackboy

don’t forget 20% off with code MTBSALE20 too.

Dodgy looking website, based in Malaysia, last years models listed as new, accepts bitcoin.

what could possibly go wrong…

matt_outandabout

Stoopid.
    null

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve sent you a PM.

bigalid

Just to be clear,
    I am not (Despite what everyone who know me says) stupid enough to put my credit card details on a obviously dodgy website, to buy an obviously massively under priced bike.

I was merely wondering how the scammers planned to benefit from it, when you could just claim the money back on your credit card when the bike unsurprisingly didn’t turn up.

I appreciate everyone’s messages, enlightening me on the multitude of ways i would loose my shirt.

Anyway I am off to buy some magic beans…..

tomhoward

I was merely wondering how the scammers planned to benefit from it, when you could just claim the money back on your credit card when the bike unsurprisingly didn’t turn up.

By the time you realise the bike isn’t turning up, they’ve moved the money out of their account (that they opened with a fake, or someone else’s, name). They aren’t necessarily stealing from you.

And selling your credit card/other assorted details.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Probably a stupid question? (Tell me im an Idiot)’ is closed to new replies.