Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Prince Harry calling for National Service
  • chrismac

What would Harry know about military life?

He must be the most under qualified officer ever to get into Sandhurst despite one of the most expensive education you can buy. Then once an officer works at best part time on PR roles.

anagallis_arvensis

Good point mike. It also widens the gap between the haves and have nots. Those that can afford to do extra curriculum stuff stand out more

miketually
    Free Member

Good point mike. It also widens the gap between the haves and have nots. Those that can afford to do extra curriculum stuff stand out more

Rather than a national service, would we be better off with state funding for something like the Scouts/Guides/Cadets to take place in and around schools?

bungle

The DailyMash

null

hora
    Free Member

TBH I don’t see national service as a bad thing (for school leavers 16-18) as at that age it’ll teach you discipline etc etc etc.

I was in the ATC and enjoyed it especially going away/camping/bases/shooting/flying etc etc 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

TBH I don’t see national service as a bad thing (for school leavers 16-18) as at that age it’ll teach you discipline etc etc etc.

It gives you a year to forget what you learned at A-level before going to uni. Ace.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was in the OTC while at Uni for a while, I seemed to do so much with my time in the weekends I went away. Not sure it made me a better person but I was pretty sure on how I wanted things to turn out and how to go about achieving them.

So the point in compulsory service is to force those who don’t have constructive lives to be more interested in having one. Opinion seems to be that nothing should be compulsory these days – including wanting a job of course. So education required – during school age of course as afterwards is too late as can’t force anyone to take more education that that point.

Trouble is some schools have too difficult a time of it, the kids aren’t interested. Why aren’t they? Generations of unemployment in their family and neighbours make unemployment seem the obvious/only path.

How can they be encouraged? Military service does teach useful skills, charity work can too. But the effort doesn’t appeal to many. There needs to be a solution or the downward spiral will continue.

MSP

The idea that military service gives discipline and direction in life is laughable at best, and is factually just wrong. Ex military personnel have higher offending rates than the general population, and have especially high offending rates for violent and sexual crimes.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m not in favour of national service per se… but if it did happen, I’d make everybody do a year as a care-assistant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ex military personnel have higher offending rates than the general population, and have especially high offending rates for violent and sexual crimes.

That could merely reflect the sort of person who volunteers, and the reasons for doing so, rather than the effect of being in the armed forces. In fact how do you know that offending rates aren’t lower than they would have been if the individuals hadn’t signed up?

Compulsory military service brings in a complete different character to the demographics of the armed forces.

It’s not true that we found a link between crime and armed service

“ex-servicemen are in fact less likely to commit crime than civilians, with an official estimate suggesting that ex-servicemen are 30% less likely to end up in prison than other adult males”

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Well judging by the appalling state of some of the shoes worn by the young Design Engineers in our head office a bit of self-pride, discipline(ooooooh that filthy word) wouldnt go amiss I tellya ! 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Generations of unemployment in their family

You know that these multi-generation unemployed families don’t exist?

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Prince Harry calling for National Service’ is closed to new replies.