Home Forums Bike Forum Prettiest Bike you ever saw?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 284 total)
  • Prettiest Bike you ever saw?
  • crikey
    Free Member

The whole thing of a custom frame is that it's for you.

Pooh on a stick.

A custom frame is about buying the prejudices and pre-conceptions of a frame builder just like a 'factory' bike, except it costs more and takes longer.

poppa
    Free Member

Plonker.

tazzymtb

I rather like that

simonk
    Free Member

Just love breezers i will have one some day :)

crikey
    Free Member

Plonker.

Succint and incisive, but not particularly illuminating.

tazzymtb

A custom frame is about buying the prejudices and pre-conceptions of a frame builder just like a 'factory' bike, except it costs more and takes longer.

apart from the fact you can get it to fit you perfectly, made for your style of riding and it can have all the little design features that make it special to you. I'd prefer to get a tailored suit to fit me rather than a cheapo mass produced one with compromises, why would I not do the same with a bike?

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, don't agree.

Custom frame builders can change the length and the angles of tubing. That's about it.

What if I want hydroforming? What if I want carbon fibre? What if I want a 3D rear end ala Orange 5? What if I want a frame designed to work with a particular suspension setup or device?

Innovation in bike design is done by the big boys, custom is essentially as I described; you pay more and wait longer for a few tweaks on a basic, albeit time served, design.

…and given the adjustability of the modern bicycle, most 'custom' work is done as vanity projects, rather than for any sensible reason.

tazzymtb

LOL- that's a big chip on the shoulder you have there crikey, does sir own a carrera and feel a bit aggrieved?

cynic-al
    Free Member

vanity projects

Oi! That's my phrase!

fontmoss
    Free Member

sorry crikey but eh wtf? you can get a pair of shoes from clarks but a pair of shoes made to your feet will feel like gloves in a destruction of simile sort of way*

*I've never owned the latter it has to be said :)

crikey
    Free Member

No chip, honest!

I've had a custom frame, built just for me, with all my own little tweaks added….

It cost more than an equivalent off-the-peg frame, it took 8 weeks then another 6 weeks to get to me, and I lived 3 miles from the shop…

Bike frames are not that sophisticated, and can be adjusted in numerous ways; I think the whole custom thing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-rated, and is not where innovation and development occurs.

As things of beauty ( a nod to the OP..) they may have a place, but one steel frame is pretty much like any other at the end of the day, whether built in a shed by a man with a beard, or built on a production line with modern quality control.

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry cynic-al, you must be rubbing off on me.

In a manner of speaking…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh :D

pretty much agree with you on the custom thing. Tho I love mine!

tazzymtb

and is not where innovation and development occurs

no that tends to happen with small frame builders who can play with trends whilst the big corporate design houses are working to a strict criteria.

Carver with the 96er…..trek followed

Frank the welder with the hard core hard tails like the spooky metalhead and adjustable geometry and travel bikes like the sinister splinters

gates belt drives are being embraced by the custom frame boys, if they get them to work the big boys will follow

29ers in general

FFS even orange started out as a bloke in a shed and are still mainly designed by steve wade

big companies have the money and teams to smooth out some of the oddball designs and get them to the mainstream with some much needed tweaks, but a lot of innovation and risk is still taken by the smaller guys

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm.

I think you are still talking about tweaks rather than real innovation.

What I do think would be a major step forward is the development of custom carbon frames at a price point that allowed people to walk in and order one, and see it built in a reasonable time.

The idea that building a steel frame with a few changes to geometry and tube length or swoopiness qualifies it as some how better than a mass produced frame is hard to justify.

I suspect that you could take a steel custom frame from the UKs best builder and get it reproduced in China or Taiwan, in quantity, with good quality control, in half the time, for half the cost.

Maybe I have a different attitude towards bikes than others; I see them as tools rather than objects of beauty, as functional rather than aesthetic, although one does not exclude the other.

grumm
    Free Member

I rather like that

If it said Carrera on it you'd be saying the opposite.

tazzymtb

no because I'm not a label whore, I couldn't give a **** what others think about the way I look or what I do, so why would I give a shite about the name on a tube? if i like the look of it and it would give me pleasure to play on it then that's all that counts. It's a bit like humping a fat lass :wink:

eth3er
    Free Member

Valid arguments and all but can we go back to pretty bikes.

tazzymtb

reynolds 953 singlepseed

Tricone
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by tweaks. I would say a bike as we would define it is pretty well agreed – 2 wheels, sit between them and pedal through some form of connection to the wheel to make it move forward. After this it is probably all 'tweaks' including what its made of, what size the wheels are, how to do the gearing, headset and BB type and size, etc, etc.

I would say a lot of these tweaks came from custom builders like tazzy writes – 29ers, belt drives, chain tensioning systems (black sheep HACS or the guys that do that hinged thing) even frame materials – 953 tubing, bamboo…
    I cannot see why having a cheap mass produced carbon frame is any more innovative than this?

corroded
    Free Member

I've had one of these for years. Still think it's one of the prettiest mtbs out there.

coogan
    Free Member

WTF is that? Is it from a circus? Looks utter ridiculous.

grumm
    Free Member

No coogan it's made by wolfhound who are apparently uber niche bearded builders and is therefore beautiful.

hairyscary

It really does look like a fat man has sat on it.

samuri
    Free Member

Normally I'd avoid threads like this because they'd get me angry but I can't sleep so I browsed away.

From what I've seen.

Almost everyone posting needs mental help, the bike pictures posted on this thread explain an awful lot abouit people in Britain and why this country is in such a terrible state.

For god's sake, look at the pictures you have posted and ask yourselves just how nasty these things are.

Someone with 'fish' in their username posted a fixie, now that's a nice bike.

eth3er
    Free Member

now now samuri. objectivity. also some people aren't even british. :-)
    I'm smitten with this

PJM1974
    Free Member

eth3er
    Free Member

I know I said objectivity up there, but really PJM?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I'm so sorry, I own both.

The Enduro I've always admired since 2002, it's graceful and sleek in the way that pot-bellied post 2006 Specialized bikes can't emulate.

The Marin? It looks purposeful, but that swingarm is a work of post industrial art.

Shoot me now.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Custom Curtis 853, I think it's pretty, dirty or clean

OCB
    Free Member

William Morris has much to say that is relevant here (although I suspect that he didn't have bikes specifically in mind when he said it :wink: ) –

Principally – "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful".

I will concede that he has a beard however, which may suggest a bias.

alwyn
    Free Member

How cool would that be!

Litespeed Ti goodness ummmmmmm

cynic-al
    Free Member

Innovations: suspension, disc brakes, spds etc

Different IMO to what the wee guys have done.

Tricone
    Free Member

If you consider companies like AMP research or Mountain Cycles wee (certainly compared to the Giants, Shimanos and Treks of this world) then they did innovate suspension – horst link, linkage forks, upside down forks – and disc brakes. Not sure about SPDs though.

ferrit32
    Free Member

I Like the Amaro Lollobrigida above but prefer the Rossellini

ahwiles
    Free Member

i've just put myself in charge of judging this: candodavid – yes; that's the idea.

alwyn – no; the letters are too big, the silhouettes too contrived, they're loud and vulgar.

(they're drunken tarts with too much make-up, shouting insults at passers by outside a football pub at 1am on a sunday morning)

i've previously voiced my opinion on the genesis equilibrium, so for a change, here's my input:

huws
    Free Member

do I win?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should we have the same thread but restricted to bikes that you can actually buy and use? (avoiding Vanillas etc?)

horst link, linkage forks, upside down forks – and disc brakes.

I'll give you those, none of which are really anything significant apart from disc brakes, and horst links – to DH guys and marketeers.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

corroded +1 doesn't matter if off the peg or custom, pretty is pretty. name or quantity sold do not influence looks.

BoardinBob

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘Prettiest Bike you ever saw?’ is closed to new replies.