Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Premier – other than ad removal – is it worth it?
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I don’t come here a lot but I do feel the need to support the stuff I use. The forum is a very useful place for all kinds of info both on and off topic. So I have considered premier membership here, but I can’t see the benefits other than ad removal.
    I see it like this:
    1) Ads- easy to ignore, plus other methods.
    2) Access to articles – I have yet to read an article on here that genuinely impressed me, fairly bland writing not particularly incisive and in fact some of the review articles are blatant advertorials. Are the premier content articles any different?
    3) Anything else?

Convince me, my finger is hovering over the buy button but having read this article just now which really annoyed me for multiple reasons, I am put off again. (https://singletrackworld.com/2019/01/3-consumer-direct-mountain-bikes-tested-reviewed/)

kayak23

There’s some good stuff in the P-forum.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been here a few years and had Premier more than not. At the moment I’m done on the articles, they are starting to look the same and some of the photos in the mag fail to inspire me. But that is probably because I’ve been fanatical for a few years. A couple of years off and I will probably return to the fold.
    Some of the UK stuff I look at and think why did they bother to run that?, but that again is probably just me. I like stunning shots and they usually come from stunning locations, not a trip along the SDW or the Ridgeway.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Every kilo lost in chub club by a subscriber gets multiplied by a factor of 1.2

Worth it just for that, I reckon.

rene59
    Free Member

Not for me. The site owners are not interested in the only part of the site that interests me (the forum), so I don’t feel the need to contribute financially to the lifestyle part of their business (the magazine – print and online part).

Garry_Lager

In principle it’s just to support the forum for me – gotten a lot out of it over the years. Guess it depends if that’s worthwhile to you or not (I don’t read the articles myself).

Mine lapsed with a cc expiry coinciding exactly with the site shitting the bed about a year back or whenever it was with the update, so subscribing wasn’t credible. It seems (I think) to have gotten better now so I should renew.

5plusn8
    Free Member

gotten a lot out of it over the years.

This would be the reason for me, but it goes two ways, i like to think I have helped with my own tiny snippets (although I expect I haven’t as I can’t think of anything I know of any value other than some out of date accounting stuff and loads of crap about trade contracts, LA standards and fire regs.)

nickjb
    Free Member

In principle it’s just to support the forum for me

It’s been made pretty clear that the subs are not to support the forum. That was the only reason I subscribed so I’ve now cancelled. May start paying again if attitudes change. As rene59 says really.

Kryton57

You do have access to singletrack partners. I would have saved 10% of the cost of a bike if Ubyk had delivered it…

weeksy

Other than Advert removal, no, not for me.

But for Advert removal, it’s worth every penny.

jabbi
    Free Member

I’ve always read the mag, part of the ritual was going into town, buying the mag, visiting the pub for a couple and a read through. I never subscribed as I felt I was doing my bit. A little over a year ago I had the shit kicked out of me outside of said pub and stopped going, haven’t bought any of the mag’s since and can’t say I’ve missed them.
    However, I still like using the forum, I don’t really mind the ad’s, but if subscribing will 100% get rid of the bloody ‘We value your privacy’ box that still pops up with EVERY SINGLE page change, then I’ll do it now!

nobbingsford

@kayak23: what’s the P forum?

nickjb
    Free Member

Inner circle stuff. Not really supposed to talk about it on the public forum

tomhoward

To the folk that say ‘the money doesn’t fund the forum, only the mag, so I’m not paying’ you do realise that if there is no mag, there is no forum, yes? Or are you assuming that if the mag dies off it will free up funds for the forum?

cdoc
    Free Member

I would assume that if the printed mag dies off then the move will be towards an online publication with a homepage, magazine downloads and a user forum.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I think the forum funds the mag doesn’t it? I mean there is a stack of activity here so the ad revenue must be reasonable. Its the most active forum I know of.

tomhoward

I’m talking about the the folk that don’t even want an online mag, just a forum that occasionally talks about bikes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

but I do feel the need to support the stuff I use

Thats is why I subscribe and gain the lofty “P”

I like the forum, I don’t read the mags. The forum needs paying for somehow, ads are one large income stream but I hate adverts… in fact I despise being told what I should buy and when..

So, to support Chipps and Mark and especially the Mods (even though they are “free”) and to keep this link open to my only contact with the real world… is why I subscribe.

I’m not especially bothered about the latest forum tool, or really how it all works, all I properly care about is the effort the Owners have put in recently to cover us and themselves over the thorny issue of GDPR and the data they own and share. For me, that’s worth the subscription alone.

I didn’t trust the previous version of the forum, but I have faith that the Owners now control the what and how, the Mods control the festering pit when we argue and I still get to post bollocks any time of day or night.

There are tools out there that could limit exposure, we know what they are and how they work, but your P does entitle you to “free from” ads and all that horseshit.

I’ll now keep subscribing until I fail to engage with some of the other posters on here.

rene59
    Free Member

To the folk that say ‘the money doesn’t fund the forum, only the mag, so I’m not paying’ you do realise that if there is no mag, there is no forum, yes? Or are you assuming that if the mag dies off it will free up funds for the forum?

THe owners have been clear in that they are not in the forum business. If the mag dies off the forum will too, but lets face it, it’s already dying. If the mag was a standalone success and profitible, do you think they would invest in the forum or still let it die given the only reason they seem to have it in the first place is to help fund the mag?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I would assume that if the printed mag dies off then the move will be towards an online publication with a homepage, magazine downloads and a user forum.

That needs massive hits to get a decent income from ads. THe forum could be a key part of drawing clicks to the site. It needs to be done well. Check out PinkBike to see it done well (they have comments instead of a forum) but look at the size of their IT set up. I saw figures somewhere on the Terabytes of movies they served.
    Factory decided print was dead. They certainly found they couldn’t make money from web only.

scotroutes

It’s been stated again and again that STW have no intention of running down the magazine and the forum subscription/advertising revenue is the only way to keep it alive. As someone who doesn’t read the mag or the online version of the articles I decided to stop subsidising them when complaints about the forum update were so arrogantly dismissed. If the money from subs and advertising actually went in to improving the forum – and STW were actually seen to value the contribution of the forum members – I’d reconsider renewal. As far as I am concerned the forum contributors are the folk I want to read. Route guides and product reviews are ten-a-penny on the internet and there are always interesting blogs to read on subjects I can actually relate to.

Poopscoop

STW is my home on the net really. I don’t do fb etc so its a social thing as well as a massively handy resource both for biking and not biking topics.

I’d be genuinely upset if the forum went.

I do read the online mags etc, not always, but when I do I usually enjoy them.

I don’t begrudge the small cost of the subscription one little bit to be honest. I think it’s great value for the hours and hours I’m on here reading and sometimes posting.👍

sadexpunk

come on here less and less these days, but ill always keep my sub out of support for this place.
    ive had invaluable advice on here over the years, both financial and personal that makes the sub excellent value for me, i could never pay back what the sites given me, it costs a pittance in the grand scheme of things.

i see why people get pissed off with the site, and the ads. i sometimes think of referring my friends to the forum to read interesting posts, but then remember what it looks like without that P. its an awful flashing vegas type experience that i wouldnt want to wish on anybody, so i never do, i post questions for them instead and relay the answers.

theres no place like this tho, it can be hilarious, heartbreaking, heartwarming, insightful, and extremely helpful. i dont think theres a subject on earth that doesnt have an expert on here 🙂

its the people that make the site what it is, and its (we’re) all well worth the (small) cost. IMHO.

wwaswas

wot sadexp sed – I have a ‘P’ because STW adds value to my life and has done for 20 years.

And that’s worth paying for.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Sadexpunk I get you, but see it from a different angle. We are the product, paying for the privilege seems a bit rich. Those who provide the expertise don’t get paid, they are the product that draws you here, as are you part of that product with your contributions. I can’t be persuaded to pay using the forum access angle as we all provide so much to make this place interesting.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m a sub just for the forum to – I can see why the staff might be a bit annoyed about that though, they no doubt spend a lot of time carefully crafting the magazine and I don’t even bother reading it (mostly as I’ve not ridden a bike for a couple of years…).
    I think the forum is ‘good enough’, yeah there’s been some big issues in the past and some smaller issues are still present but it’s not their core business/interest so I can see why they’re not heavily investing in it, I doubt the ad revenue would pay for another FTE to admin/improve it.
    It’s a pity though that the chat forum seems much less busy these days, my morning catch-up visit would usually see me on page two before I had caught up with threads, these days it’s often half way down page one, which means I get back to doing work earlier which is a shame :p If it gets any quieter I think it could go into a death spiral and we’ll all be looking at Pistonheads or something as alternatives.

wwaswas

5Plusn8 – maybe it’s the differences between treating STW as a club not a pub?

Pub – ‘pay as you go’ by buying drinks = you allow ads to pay for your visit
    Club – ‘pay upfront’ by buying membership = you hand over cash and can make use of enhanced facilities.

bit of a stretch, perhaps, but I take the latter approach as I value what’s here and fear that lots of people turning up and askign for free tap water (via that which cannot be discussed) but wanting to join in all the taps might mean it’s not financially viable.

5plusn8
    Free Member

The free tap water thing is a stretch, lots of crap questions go unanswered, or answered quickly – eg there is a tap outside mate, go for your life.
    As I said I see the forum as a place to get and offer advice/opinion that is what attracts people here, we are the product. I can put up with the ads, for me premier seems to be about mag and article access as well as ad removal, the articles seem woeful..

Further sucky articles that seem to have been written without much thought – This review this morning about Panzer rim protection – taking on the big guns, when there is a great british company offering the same product (perhaps better as it includes valves) for much less money. https://www.rimpactmtb.com/product-page/rimpactmtb-275-pair. Its seems like lazy journalism, especially as the forum is the place where I found out about Rimpact.

stevied
    Free Member

I’m happy with the small fee for the P.
    I see it as a contribution to the forum as, as others have said, it’s a great source of knowledge and (mild) humour and I’d hate to see it go.

rOcKeTdOg

I subscribe to support the forum & I like getting the mag through the letterbox.
    I’d pay extra to be able to filter out the moaners though.

5plusn8
    Free Member

How much? If you go direct, I’ll go away for ever?
    At least nobody on here could be accused of being a shill for STW – there isn’t much convincing argument. I remain open to be persuaded.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t know how it all works, tbh I’m not sure I care that much.

I don’t really read the mag, I’ve nothing against it, but I don’t really have time.

STW for me it somewhere to come for a fight to escape the stress of work occasionally. Subs are £2 a month and I don’t notice it. Ads aren’t really an issue, I’ve got Ad Blocker, perhaps if they took the same stance as some other sites that block access with ad blockers more would subscribe.

If they don’t already, perhaps they should care a bit more about the forum. PistonHeads seems to be able to keep the lights on being a sort of online media outlet/Mag/Gammon Daycare.

greavo

I agree totally with Poopscoop.

I subscribe to support all aspects of STW, the forum being the main reason and I do read most of the articles. I (you might think foolishly) purchase component recommendations from articles and from the forum members. I personally believe this is the best resource about MTB on the web so I will support it.

DezB
    Free Member

I subscribe to support the forum & I like getting the mag through the letterbox.

I feel that my P gives me the right to moan about how shonky some forum elements are lately. Well, not moan but make snidey remarks, I’m better at them.
    I pay the P fund just for the smell of the mag.

Cougar

i dont think theres a subject on earth that doesnt have an expert on here

The moment this was driven home for me was a couple of years back when someone was asking about hot air balloon experiences. Someone else popped up and said, “well, I’m a balloon pilot and…” What struck me then wasn’t “oh my god, we have a balloon pilot on here” but rather “this is STW, of course we have a balloon pilot on here…”

cookeaa

It’s a cheap way for me to have a bike mag or three to read on holiday (on kindle) rather than pay full whack at the airport for an annoying chunk of paper that will be torn and ragged by the end of a trip…
    I’m not interested in having the printed mag so being able to exclude that from my “Subscription” is ideal IMO.

No Ads on the forum is a pleasant benefit and I do read the odd article online sometimes.

As it’s only ~£1.50 a month it’s an entirely affordable sum so why not…

DickBarton

It is a small amount but I suspect many don’t feel they get value for even that low amount.
    As has been said, it is the knowledge and banter on this forum that makes this place for many.
    Without the users there is nothing (and I’m sure the staff wouldn’t be complaining as very few frequent the forum as they have no interest), yet the service for both paying and freeloading users is far from value. That is what stops many from paying…the other users value everyone but the owners don’t appear to – based on various forum issues and interactions.
    Make us feel valued and I’m sure many would pay. If I felt like we were being treated fairly and there was a sub for the forum, I’d happily pay it…but I don’t and there isn’t so I won’t.
    (aware I’m rather low in the pecking order of things and users but thanks for letting me vent)

weeksy

yet the service for both paying and freeloading users is far from value

You think ? In the last 24 hours i’ve had valuable information about a bike purchase. A mate has been educated about MTB tyres. I’ve read about Ebikes and their benefits and i’ve advertised a bike for sale….
    Add that to all the other snippets of information i’ve had, read or just heard about…

It’s a bargain

Cougar

I find it quite odd that the barrier to entry is essentially that you don’t get a free cuddle with every subscription. It’s like 5p a day FFS. If anyone who posts more than twice a day thinks that’s bad value then I’m at a loss as to what to add to that.

Sure, the forum probably isn’t the top of the priority list in the context of the site as a whole despite it being the primary reason to visit for some forum members, but STW is a publishing company with a forum rather than a forum company that happens to write a few articles occasionally. Without the magazine and the rest of the site, the forum wouldn’t exist because everyone employed at STW would be out of a job.

Drac

yet the service for both paying and freeloading users is far from value

Those who freeload don’t get any value? 🤔

It’s cheap for the basic description, removes the ads, gives you access to more stories and the magazine if your care to browse them. More importantly it keeps the forum going which is why we all are on here for the forum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Premier – other than ad removal – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.