Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Possibly silly pedal question
  • alcooker
    Free Member

I’m in the process of buying new pedals and wondered if anyone would like to rubbish these ideas.
    I usually ride DMR V12 on my MTB, when I put power down it feels solid which I put down to large contact area. On my road bike I use Speedplay Zero TI, part of the advertising gumbo is that they have the largest contact platform for road specific pedals. My mates generally ride Look Keo, again a fairly large contact area.

Now with high end MTB and road shoes, say Sidi Dragon and Ergo you get a very stiff sole (same sole?) I had some specialized s works mtb shoes which were very stiff and also lighter than my mate’s Sidi Ergo. I understand that having a stiffer sole will give better power transfer and less hot spots, but still many serious road bikers tend to use Look Keo’s, I assume because of the larger contact area. So stiff sole+large contact area=good thing.

So if a large contact area is the key to putting the power down, why don’t recreational road riders who prefer to wear MTB shoes just use something like Crank Bros Acid or maybe Time Atac alium/roc, or even the whole hog and get downhill pedals like CB’s Mallet’s on there. I’m sure there are lots of other brands out there with large platform clipless pedals.

The only downsides I can see are weight issues and yes Mallet’s might look a bit clumpy on a nice road bike. I tried my DMR’s on my road bike, felt superb on flat ground. It seems to me that downhill pedals and Look Keo/Time road race pedals are after the same thing. I’m clearly no pedal expert but if you had say an eggbeater type pedal with not particularly stiff soles, wouldn’t it be a bit painful and inefficient?

This post is mainly in view of me ditching my Speedplay zero TI’s because I was stupid for selling for MTB shoes and CB quattros, I can hardly walk in Speedplay cleats and if I do the cleats get grit in them. Even messing about with various screw tensions, I have zero confidence of getting in and out of the cleats, yeah I’ll miss the weight and the adjustable float, but i won’t miss having comedy near misses through not engaging/dissengaging.

So I’m after some new pedals/shoes for my road bike , sensibility tells me Time Roc or Atac xs, but I’m really tempted to go larger platform and risk the mocking. Although new Speedplay Syzr look quite good, adjustable float as the Zero’s is great but the fact they say the Syzr cleat is basically an upside down, inside out Zero cleat scares me.

Any views?

nedrapier

lowerebottom bracket on road bikes mean you’ll have to concentrate more on your pedaling/pedal position in corners, or you’ll ground platform pedals.

V*s on spesh Allez here, and concentrating a bit!

ratherbeintobago

Is the SYZR actually available yet?

I don’t think platform size makes much odds for road biking (unless you’re racing) provided your shoes have a reasonably stiff sole. If not, and as you’ve said, it could be a bit uncomfortable.

Andy

(ATAC XSs on road bike)

druidh
    Free Member

Have you thought about the Shimano A520s?

alcooker
    Free Member

Re- the bottom bracket. That’s another one of Speedplay’s plus points-the low profile for cornering, but t.b.h. I’m no Casey Stoner but if I do happen to corner low, my inner pedal would be more toward the top of the stroke.
    Syzr not available yet as far as I know, only discovered it last night.
    Will check out the A520, hadn’t thought of Shimano.

Just looked at A520 and A530, that’s the sort of thing I was thinking should be invented for people like me!

ratherbeintobago

Syzr not available yet as far as I know, only discovered it last night.

I think they’ve been imminent for a while (like Mavic’s MTB pedals), yet have never materialised. I believe the IT term for stuff like this is vapourware.

Andy

alcooker
    Free Member

Anyone know what levels of float, lateral and angular, there is on the A520 and A530?

CraigW
    Free Member

I use Shimano M545 pedals on my road bike – I think they are described as downhill or freeride peals, they have a large platform.
    I usually wear cheap shoes, which are probably not very stiff, so I think the bigger platform helps with comfort, especially for long distance rides. I don’t think the pedal hitting the ground is really an issue, unless you are leaning over at crazy angles, or riding fixed.
    Those A530 pedals look good, but they are only single sided. So you’ll probably end up trying to clip in the wrong side half the time.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I now use Speedplays – ultra low profile but I got mine on a deal as they are a bit expensive 🙁 Bastid to walk on but the coffee shop covers are brill 🙂

The float is adjustable in speedplays – you get loads of float – took me a while to get used the the amount of float. The coffee shop covers are ace and protect the cleat and make them really easy to walk on!

scaredypants

I use speedplay frogs on the road bike

mtb shoes, can walk as normal

alcooker
    Free Member

I must say the speedplays were magic in that they were so adjustable, I spent a while on my trainer putting wedges in the cleats, using plumblines etc t get a nice feeling and riding position, they were superb on the trainer and walking on a clean kitchen floor but as soon as I was out on road they’d just do my head in, slipping off pedal, not getting out quick enough not to mention grit. Thought about coffee shop covers, but no they’re defo going and I’m switching back to MTB shoes and pedals, just wish I could try them all in one shop instead of trial and error buying. I’m putting it down to me being at fault with the speedplays as plenty of people reckon they’re ace.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Possibly silly pedal question’ is closed to new replies.