Home Forums Chat Forum Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.
  • sowler
    Free Member

Not seeing any mention of protein powder in here. Chocolate or vanilla adds some nice flavour and an easy way of upping your protein in take.

granny_ring

Sliced banana and spoon of honey.

beamers

Here’s my daily mix.

1 part jumbo oats to 1 part oatmilk / 2 parts water.

Simmer for 3.5 mins and add a half a teaspoon of salt

Simmer for another 3.5 mins and pour into bowl, then load on:

Watermelon
    Pineapple
    Blueberries
    Raisins
    Sunflower seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Chia seeds
    Cinammon
    Ground cloves
    Couple of dollops of Aldi blueberry soya yoghurt:

I’ll be adding a nip of whisky for a weekend treat from now on!

singletrackmind

1/3 Flavahans oats, 1/3 Tesco Honey and Almond granola, 1/3Tesco fruit and nut muslei.
    Add equal amount of boiling water and leave alone for 3 to 5 minutes.
    Heaped tablespoon of thick Greek yoghurt, dash of milk, moscovado sugar sprinkled on top.

p7eaven
    Free Member

beamers for porridge-disco award! All it needs is a lit sparkler and some of those silver sugar ball bearings you get on cup cakes 🤩. I’d do it tho. (Minus cloves, agh)

(In a synchroatastic way) mine today was oats, oatmilk, oat cream, sliced strawberry, sliced pineapple, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

Have enjoyed this thread and will be trying most if not all of those over the winter.

PS: Oats, oatmilk, salt, golden syrup, sprinkles of both nutmeg and vanilla-extract stirred in. Generous cocoa-dusting. (or Cadburys Options Belgian chocolate drink powder)

(Swap vanilla extract for orange extract for variety. Add sultanas)

sas78

Tinned prunes (stones oot!)

Little bit of the syrup from prunes and a healthy splash of Kirkland Maple Syrup.

I also use frozen blueberries and maple syrup too.

But the prunes are the right side of sweet/savoury for me with the maple syrup. Yummy.

rossburton
    Free Member

Raisins and brown sugar.

Freester

Finely chopped strawberries and ripe pear.

Freester Jr puts a massive spoon of Nutella and stirs it in.

redthunder
    Free Member

Blackberries today. More Purple Haze.

Going to try peanut butter tomorrow.

:-)

sadexpunk

i’m now a confirmed porridge with cream and whisky fan!

mandog

Blend 300 ml porridge oats to a dust the night before. Next morning when ready, shake in a protein shaker with water, drink.

I’ve just worked out I am sensitive to insoluble fibre. So I now replace the oats with cornflour.

Edit: any other alternatives to oats for those with IBS, I’ve seen rice flakes mentioned above?

bruneep

As ever Mash spot on
    Middle class woman’s STW’er porridge full of nonsense
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/food/middle-class-womans-porridge-full-of-nonsense-20211126214734

dyna-ti

A little salt and a lot of honey.

Greek honey is nice if you can find it. It’s got a more intense flavour than the usual brands.

myti
    Free Member

I’m really a toast person but occasionally get the desire for porridge. Oats, 2/3rds water 1/3 milk, pinch of salt soaked overnight. Then in the morning pinch of cinnamon, grated apple, blueberries or pomegranate, whatever berries are about and gently heated. Honey.

I’m not mad keen on sweet breakfasts though so I’m thinking of trying a savoury porridge with Spinach and a fried egg. I saw something about fermented porridge that sounded interesting too so will give it a try.

redthunder
    Free Member

Tried the cube of plain chocolate variant today.

Cube thrown in half way through cooking process.

Very nice.

4/5

Also, tried a scoop of peanut butter and chocolate.

Nice, but not as nice as just chocolate cube.

Lidl’s cheapest worked great :)

redthunder
    Free Member

Todays special.

Blob of peanut butter.
    a chocolate FREDDO (chucked in after cooking)
    Last bit of decaf coffee, that was not enough for a mug full.

Nearly put a dash of white wine in, but driving later. So if stopped and asked if I’ve been drinking. I can still say no truefully :) What a fart I am ;)

redthunder
    Free Member

Just tried Berries as normal but added two slabs of frozen coconut milk and then cooked.

Its like eating a fluffy, marshmallowy coconut, angel delight cloud. Mmmmmm

Try ace.

Ps Coconut milk is great in porridge on its own as well.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Hero Porridge is the winner. Make porridge, add Cabury Hero’s. Job done.

redthunder
    Free Member

Jelly Tots have also worked well.

Freester

Coconut milk is great in porridge on its own as well.

I usually make porridge with good old pinhead (as opposed to rolled) oats. I fry the oats in coconut oil for a few minutes before adding to the milk to simmer.

Toppings wise – I keep it simple just some sliced pear usually.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I don’t add toppings, I add bottoms. I stew up whatever fruit is old and going cheap at the local supermarket,normally I’ll add some spice to liven it up too, and then add porridge to the top.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Ready Brek w/salt and honey of late. Was going to add my normal crushed nuts but after reading that satirical Mash article I couldn’t live with the shame. Bah. I liked nuts.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Flahavans oats, bit of ground cinnamon, teaspoon of chunky peanut butter (whole earth), teaspoon of Nutella, and a chopped banana and semi skimmed milk.
    That’s for ride days about 600 calories by the time you add a coffee and berocca.

Non ride days, same oats, cinnamon, milk but have either chopped apple and honey, or sultanas, or any combination of chopped or frozen fruit I can lay my hands on.
    They key is the oats. They’re great.

redthunder
    Free Member

Keep it alive

slowoldman

Flahavans oats (used to be Mornflake Jumbo oats but can’t find them locally any more) cooked with whole milk and salt, generally with sliced banana underneath and various nuts, seeds and berries on top. I’m partial to a spoon of Golden Syrup on mine and if there happens to be a pot of single cream in the fridge then so much the better.

ElShalimo

Flahavens oats here too.

Half milk, half water. Topped with mix dried fruit and seeds. If I’m feeling  cheeky I’ll add some honey or banana. This morning was honey

😎

MadBillMcMad

Stewed apple or rhubard is fab with some golden syrup.

But what’s all the blueberry nonsense, I can’t believe no one has said (at least I’ve not seen) go and pick your own wild whinberries, blayberries, billberries, what ever you call them. There really is no comparison. Pick em, freeze them and sprinkle a handful on. Totally heaven. Oh the joys of living on the moors.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I mix in a tablespoon of dark brown sugar, strictly as a rare treat and it may as well be cocaine.

jimmy

I haven’t read through the thread, but my recent “discovery” is cardamom porridge. Crush up a pod – 1 is enough for 2 decent portions, chuck it in and cook as normal. Then add chopped figs, or dates – or any dried fruit, chopped nuts.

TiRed

Made mine with Oatly vanilla yesterday,. Drink is so awful I thought I could use it up. Was great. I always add a teaspoon of sugar, but seldom much else. Switched from Quaker to some larger oats, not as smooth. And I use one of the protein shake measurement cups to make my porridge 1:1:1 oats:milk:water, and 02:30 in the microwave on 900W.

jeffl

Interesting that people are using oat milk in their porridge. I just use water as oat milk is just water, juices porridge and some fat, so by my logic should make naff all difference.

But, does it make a difference?

I’m quite happy with my water and pinch of salt porridge, just interested.

wooobob

Tesco raisin and cranberry mix in with the milk in the microwave. Or dates if we’ve got some.

Diced apple and a nice shake of the sweet cinnamon, stirred into the bowl. Slice a nana on top and sprinkle some light brown soft sugar on top.

+1 for cream and whisky. Or brandy cream.

TiRed

But, does it make a difference?

I was surprised, but yes it does. Water and oats is not so nice, adding 50% milk or 100% oat milk instead seems interchangeable. The vanilla stuff is awful for drinks, so I’m trying to use it up :-)

I also premix my dry oats with Holland and Barrett protein powder at the same ratio as Quakers protein pots (125g/kg). Because plastics and of course cost.

burko73

I use Jordans organic oats (in all the oats ive tried we’ve stuck with them, they seem the biggest and are the nicest, even better than flavahans), cook with milk and chuck in some dates that i’ve chopped, roasted almonds and some ground flax seed. if there’s an open carton of cream or soured cream in the fridge I’ll put a little bit of that in at then end but that’s a rare treat. top with a bit of golden syrup and stir then eat. mmmm.

tourismo

Nutella, crunchy peanut butter and golden syrup. Snickers* porridge.

*Marathon if you’re old.😂

Earl
    Free Member

Beef mince and ginger

lambchop
    Free Member

Swerve the porridge and have some eggs instead

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Banana Strawberries and 3 giant chocolate buttons.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.