Home Forums Chat Forum Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

Fresh fruit of the day, either a mix or just one.

Usually a mix of (first) whatever’s in the garden and/or fruit-bowl.

Most often apple, banana, raspberry, strawberry (is incredible), blueberry.

Sometimes I’ll crush a few mixed nuts and/or seeds.

Pumpkin seeds a common addition. Also a few sultanas.

Always a little salt to go with the sweet.

If there is no fruit then I’ll use honey, syrup, a sweetener, whatever and a little salt.

One (special occasion ) day a year I’ll have just the plain salted porridge yet with a topping of whisky, honey and cream.

Also sometimes make it with (instead of just water) oat-milk, and then top with oat-cream

llama

Why have I never tried whiskey with porridge?

My addition, not my recipe. Sliced pears cooked in maple syrup, all poured on top or the porridge, especially this time of year, it’s autumn in a bowl.

Golden syrup is my daily

Must have salt

Dolcered

30g scots porage oats
    Whole milk
    Yoghurt
    Nuts/seeds
    Strawberries or blueberries

Perfect before a cycle

edward2000
    Free Member

Pinhead oats are lower in glycemic index than rolled so I go for them with a dollop of peanut butter, grated apple, cinnamon and pumpkin seeds

redthunder
    Free Member

apple and cinnommon

Apple and Cinnamon.
    3/5

Note to self: might grate apple next.

redthunder
    Free Member

Mrs RT’s

porridge

Blueberries, Honey and Almonds
    4/5

Note to self: must try whisky in this one ;)

redthunder
    Free Member

Quick flavour fix if your in a nega rush …

Porridge Flavour Fix

Note: Morrisons bottle is Vanilla extract. Only use a couple if drops ;)

For Whisky, the whole bottle ;)

tartanscarf

1 cup oats. 1.5 cups milk. Quarter teaspoon salt. Jobs a good ‘un and anything else is very, very wrong.

redthunder
    Free Member

@tartanscarf

Everything can be upgraded :-)

donks
    Free Member

Just tried the porridge with cream and whiskey (15 yr single malt) and it was good.

redthunder
    Free Member

@donks

Just good ? or Goooood.

Rona

Great thread.

I like a mix of rice flakes and oats, cooked in Innocent’s coconut dairy-free drink. I always add sultanas, a couple of broken-up cashews, and a little bit of ghee. Additional add-ons (not all at the same time) include: crushed or ground – almonds, linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts; black grapes, blueberries, mango, raspberries; cream, now and again, if there’s some left over. Love porridge.

donks
    Free Member

Just ok really. Might try again at some point but can’t really beat just a tea spoon of brown sugar.
    Can’t be bothered with other chopped stuff (nuts and fruit). Just keep it basic.
    Now what implements are STW folk using to stir the porridge….plain old wooden spoon or a spurtle?

frankconway
    Free Member

As an alternative to honey or maple syrup try agave syrup.
    2021 first tapped maple syrup is now available.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Booze! For breakfast! Bunch of alkies.

Some milk, some oats. Cook. Then a big dollop of golden syrup stirred in. Lush.

stwhannah

Water, sultanas, oats, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, sometimes turmeric – ideally soak overnight. Microwave in the morning, stir in vanilla soya milk, sprinkle with pecans, top with a little maple syrup if you like it sweeter. Sort of vanilla chai porridge, and adding the cold soya milk makes it and edible temperature when you’re in a rush. Don’t eat the cardamom pod by mistake.

BillMC

Dried fruit, coconut, mixed seeds, mixed oats, blueberries or grapes, all chucked into a kilner jar and shaken. Cold blue milk. It comes out a bit different every time, rocket fuel.

wheelie

A good inch layer of Black Forest fruit from Lidl under porridge!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Marmalade

redthunder
    Free Member

@dickyhepburn

Good call :)

Tomorrow, cocanut milk and banana.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Jumbo oats, cocoa powder and frozen black cherries chopped up. Shake, add milk and leave overnight in the fridge. Eat cold.

Otherwise any frozen fruit in before the microwave, especially something sharp like redcurrants. Some seeds or dried fruit on top.

redthunder
    Free Member

Coconut. Doh! I do fight with keyboard, and its wins most of the time :(

spooky_b329

I’m only posting as no one has suggested my go-to of a dollop of whatever Jam is in the fridge…

… But I’ll be skimming through this thread again in 5 minutes to mix it up this morning

Bunnyhop

Local honey.

redthunder
    Free Member

Coconut Milk (tinned) left over from a Korma. Chopped Banana.

Works.

4/5

as for implements.

Bowl, stainless steel spoon and a microwave.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Couple of things worrying me.

People are cooking porridge WITH the milk.
    Someone keeps jam in the fridge.

You lot are animals.

1to2 porridge to water, pinch of salt. Jon jobbed, top as you like. A moat of milk, a dollop or go wild but atleast cook it right to start with.

nickc

Two pages in and yet no one has suggested that it’s wrong to make porridge with anything but just water and sour look on your face. In day’s past around here the addition of even a pinch of salt was enough to have one labelled as a dangerous hedonist.

Standards are slipping

Edit: Ah…that’s more like it

joshvegas
    Free Member

A kindred spirit!

And when you are full pour the remainder into the dresser drawer and let it cool into a solid form for carving into snack bars. Fill your sporran and go about your day.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Custard.

hurricanerun
    Free Member

Dour Scotsman here.. Oats covered in water in pan, pinch of salt. Full heat til bubbling. Low heat for 5 minutes. Into bowl. Splash of milk and a half teaspoon of brown sugar on top. The horrors described above I regard as micro aggressions.

redthunder
    Free Member

Were Animals !

Even adding whisky ?

LOL Above ;-)

redthunder
    Free Member

Just tried a smashed up TWIX cooked in the porridge.

Taste test… started at 3/5 then the flavours released…. caramel, chocolate them the bonus of finding biscuit chunks.

Final score 4/5.

So, who is going to be the first to try a MARS BAR ;)

redthunder
    Free Member
    ready

Frosties and/or Crunchy Nut Conrflakes, with a knob of butter. Defeats the object of a healthy start but tastes so good!

nickc

A kindred spirit!

Not really I’m afraid, I make mine in a microwave with milk, raisins, and cinnamon. It’s just that, like coffee threads, it invariably ends up with some-one claiming “you’re doing it wrong”

spawnofyorkshire

Anyone else do savoury porridge? I’ve been making it for my lunches a bit more recently.

Made a good one the other day with chilli oil, ginger, fermented garlic honey, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fried mushrooms and a fried egg.

Great little lunch and took five minutes to make

reeksy

Oh… So I could eat porridge oats for every meal after all?

Chorizo might go well.
    Kangaroo mince…

It’s endless.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m not against anything other than making the porridge with milk I tastes weird.

So, who is going to be the first to try a MARS BAR 😉

That ship is well past, the finest addition to porridge is a snack sized marathon snickers. Any larger and it’s too much. Chop it into chunk launch it in, leave it a minute to soften then swirl.

Strictly for camping energy you understand.

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

Cold soak in milk overnight, big spoonful of cherry yoghurt and a handful of mixed nuts & dried fruit at serving.

Microwaving oats is a dark magic, one second its too runny, the next its concrete.

burntembers

My usual topping is blueberries, honey and desiccated coconut.

Alternatively I sometimes stir in a teaspoon of Nutella (a little goes a long way) after cooking, and sprinkle some coconut on top.

I did hear somewhere (probably here) of the idea of crumbling a mince pie into microwavable Porridge before cooking, then adding a dollop of double cream after, for a Christmas treat! not tried this though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.