Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Pokey cars to carry bikes that look like they can’t
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m interested in drawing up a list of cars with the following spec:

* They must have some decent power. E.g. 180hp/ton+

* I’m being brutal re: styling: cars that have no utilitarian look. So no estates or SUVs with roof bars, no matter how flush

* Ability to fit a removable towbar that has no signs of existence once removed, apart from necessary cutaways to rear diffuser that can only be seen if you stick your head under the back of the car

* Ability to fit a (compatible with above) towbar-mounted bike carrier that can take at least two modern long wheelbase bikes

sharkattack

Can’t recommend anything without budget. Are you spending 5k or 50?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

No need for a budget.

plus-one

Golf R

doomanic

Literally anything that can have a tow bar fitted will do what you want. Do you really want to be putting filthy gear in a nice car though? As money appears to be no object, buy a Caddy or Connect for bike duties and a Porsche (other aspirational Marques are available) for car use.

w00dster

Cupra 290 (is what I have)
    https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/seat-towbars/seat-leon-towbars.html
    If you read about the Leon hatch it mentions from 2017 onwards there are tow bars that don’t need bumper cuts. I don’t use one so don’t know. My 29er and friends 27.5 go in the back with the seats down and wheels off.

I’d imagine that the Golf R and Audi S3 are going to be similar in terms of bumper / tow bar requirements.

If you don’t need the 300hp then a standard Golf GTI or a 190hp Seat Leon FR Sport, the Leon still has a 0-60 of under 7 seconds. I had one and it was a really nice car to drive. And I’m a big fan of the 7 speed DSG gear box.

peteimpreza

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce.

280bhp as standard of as per mine 324bhp with a Celtic Tuning stage one re-map.

No idea of tow bars but with the back seats down I can get my medium Canyon Spectral 125 in with just the front wheel off.

IMG_5993

IMG_5958

IMG_5959

IMG_5960

IMG_5878

doomanic

That’s a thing of beauty, but…

Do you really want to be putting filthy gear in a nice car

That’s going to end in tears.

Olly
    Free Member

I’m being brutal re: styling: cars that have no utilitarian look. So no estates

but estates or wagons just look better, bikes or no.

escrs
    Free Member

No budget, must have a towbar and over 180bhp per ton

Think this will cover it!

https://www.zero2turbo.com/2016/05/this-is-first-and-only-ferrari-f12-in-world-with-towbar

oldtennisshoes

335 xDrive Touring
    Debadged obvs

sharkattack

fazzini

I’ve got my Diverge in the wife’s Kia Picanto – admittedly seats down and wheels off! You could probaly fit a tow bar, but it would likely tip the car backwards with any weight on it 😂 Doesn’t quite meet your bhp requirement however 😉

happybiker
    Free Member

F series M135/140 or equivalent 3 series with a towbar, easy 400hp with a map.

the-muffin-man

Pokey – was I alone in thinking a very small car rather than powerful! 🙂

5lab

I used to have a 944 S2 and now have a gt86. Both carry bikes inside. You’re basically looking for front engine, 2+2

Audi TT is an easy one, Integra type r, Mustang, etc etc

willard

I managed to get an XL Stumpy FSR in my Mk2 TTV6. It was a squeeze, but it was really quite practical.

momo

Cupra 290 (is what I have)
    https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/seat-towbars/seat-leon-towbars.html
    If you read about the Leon hatch it mentions from 2017 onwards there are tow bars that don’t need bumper cuts. I don’t use one so don’t know. My 29er and friends 27.5 go in the back with the seats down and wheels off.

I’d imagine that the Golf R and Audi S3 are going to be similar in terms of bumper / tow bar requirements.

The Cupra is front wheel drive (like the Golf GTI), the S3 and Golf R are 4WD, from my research the rear diff gets in the way of the tow bar mounting.

BMW M340i, available as saloon or the more practical (and better looking) touring and will take a tow bar.

nickc

@Chipps of this parish had a Carrera soft top with a roll bar mounted bike carrier.

F series M135/140 or equivalent 3 series with a towbar

I had a 1 series Msport125 that happily took a couple of bikes inside with the back seats down, or on the roof,  And I even squeezed a bike in a 2 series 140.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve a top spec 3 series saloon, it’ll fit a long Cotic FS in with just the front wheel out.

Its also got a towbar, standard 2-bolt as I got it aftermarket but you can get the hidden ones that drop down.

With the standard dark tint on the rear windows very difficult to see there’s a bike inside too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why compromise on either criteria?

Caterham 7, and U-bolt some fork mounts to the roll-cage because a towbar is clearly adding too much weight.

Anything else is utilitarian by the OP’s definition!

If you want luxury, get an S1 Elise with a hard top and seasucker rack 😉

thepurist

Tesla Model S Plaid?

ads678

Nope, me too!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You can (just) get a 55cm road bike with the wheels off in the passenger seat of a 986 Boxster. Wheels go in the frunk.

A mate has been know to Seasucker a Geometron to the roof of a Cayman.

mjsmke

Fiat 500 Abarth. Small, fast, plenty of space inside if don’;t mind taking the wheels off the bikes.

I use to have the non Abarth version but still the same size inside. Use the put 2 adult bikes in quite often without issues. Had a tow bar installed after a back injury was making it too hard to get a bike in/out the boot but they do fit.

Daffy

You can get a decent road bike in the boot of a Z4 Convertible

You can get a decent 29er in the back of a Z4M Coupe.

You can get anything you like on a Sea Sucker on the roof of almost any sports coupe.

Why bother with a towbar rack?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can (just) get a 55cm road bike with the wheels off in the passenger seat of a 986 Boxster. Wheels go in the frunk.

You can get a Large 29er XC hardtaiil in an MG Midget, with the roof up!

Wheels off, spin the bars, fork goes over the passenger seat and the back end in the footwell. Wheels arranged on the shelf behind the seats then put the roof back up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nope, me too!

And me. From the thread title, I thought this was going to be all about the honda jazz

pictonroad

A pal did this, fits all the thread criteria but I can’t recommend it.

rickmeister

Work colleague has ordered and waiting for a BMW M240i xDrive Coupe and was asked numerous times if he really wanted the towbar fitting.. which he does….

DickBarton

Not sure it is pokey, but I’m looking at the Cupra Born, but can’t find any details on whether a towball can be fitted to it. It appears to be the same as the VW ID3 which does have a transportation solution (daft marketing speak) for a towball to use for bike racks, so I’m hoping it will be possible on the Born…230bhp so I suspect it will be more than quick enough.

Actually, I think it might be pokey as in a wee bit quick, but it probably isn’t small and pokey…

intheborders
    Free Member

Work colleague has ordered and waiting for a BMW M240i xDrive Coupe and was asked numerous times if he really wanted the towbar fitting.. which he does….

A word of warning, I’ve a 2018 BMW with an aftermarket towbar that used BMW supplied wiring and was fully coded to the car, but recently I’d a recall on it for the EGR Cooler software and the BMW Dealer was unable to install the software.

They tried it with the towbar wiring disconnected, and it worked – but then couldn’t get it recoded when they connected it back. Removed the software update and the towbar recoded no issue.

Talking to them the chap he reckoned about 10% of recall updates have had this issue, with the majority due to either aftermarket installs of Apple/Android carplay or towbars.

They need to negotiate a towbar in for a factory install IMO.

tall_martin

335 xDrive Touring
    Debadged obvs

+2

I’ve got the estate and it’s ace.

PrinceJohn

I got 4 bikes (2 mtb + 2 road bikes) in my Astra SXi – not powerful, but the Astra VXR is the same size with a little more grunts

mjsmke

Why bother with a towbar rack?

You can see the bikes while driving.
    Easier to get to the bikes.
    I noticed a lot of people stopped tailgating me once a got a towbar fitted.

cookeaa

Whatever the Car a Sea Sucker type rack potentially removes the need to worry so much about Towbars?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon I was passed by an Elise with an mtb racked to the roof last week. Made me smile.

TheFlyingOx

Here’s my two offerings:

My old TT 225 Quattro with a large Banshee Prime in the boot:

And the current Mustang with Rassine suction mount (they do a multiple bike version) holding a large Canfield Tilt:

Both pokey, the Ford especially so. TT mk2 can have a towbar fitted, and the US has plenty of options for towbars on this model Mustang so I’m counting that as eligible.

zerocool

I had a tow bar on a Renault 5GT Turbo and you could get 2 bikes in the back as well.

Does that count? They’re still around (well a few are).

It’s basically the epitome of ‘pokey’ and is also high performance

5lab

Renault 5GT Turbo

is also high performance

It was for it’s era, unfortunately that’s 40 years ago.. 115bhp isn’t very fast these days, even in something lightish

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.