Home Forums Chat Forum ‘Plus it can only mean something good is coming’

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • ‘Plus it can only mean something good is coming’
  • mattyfez

I’ve been getting 502 errors today.

Quoting seems to work if you just copy and paste text into a reply and then wrap it in quote tags.

scotroutes

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>mattyfez
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I’ve been getting 502 errors today.

Quoting seems to work if you just copy and paste text into a reply and then wrap it in quote tags.

</div>

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stop whining.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drac

cookeaa

martinhutch

Despite protestations that the previous version was riddled with custom bits of code that made it unserviceable, we’re now using a standard piece of forum software that has been custom coded to make it shit.

Yes, but that breaking news about Hannah’s distaste for cows would have been impossible under the old system.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been seeing the occasional  5xx error for a good while too, a refresh usually sorts it out though. The not seeing edits immediately after making them – is that a browser side cache thing?

maccruiskeen

Is that copied from here or another site?

no copy / paste. Simply typing the text, highlighting the words and use the formatting buttons

Drac

Hmmm! Which OS and browser <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>version?</span>

Drac

Ah! Right got it.

Seems if you type the text, highlight it and press the format it breaks.

However if you press the format button then type the text it doesn’t.

maccruiskeen

I think when I originally posted it was iOS

Not sure what difference it makes on <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>OSX / Safari</span>

Edit – But I do now

Drac

Yeah I use iOS it only works if I click the bbcode button before typing. 😕

cookeaa

Essentially though, OS/Browser/Mobile/Desktop nuances aside, this is still the sort of thing that was sorted what ~15 years ago(?) on just about any other forum…

And it’s not just “teething troubles” we’re several months into the “improvements” and you still can’t just bash out a simple post, paste in a link, image or apply Blockquote without triggering a slew of redundant markup gibberish… If the user’s can unintentionally make a bollox of posting it’s just not fit for purpose.

It’s crap, and those of us with a ‘P’ sort of think of ourselves as the “Customers” (rightly or wrongly), so when do they sack the dev and start again?

molgrips
    Free Member

What a miserable bunch of moaning gits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been seeing the occasional  5xx error for a good while too, a refresh usually sorts it out though. The not seeing edits immediately after making them – is that a browser side cache thing?

I think it goes back to the original post, if you delete the last /#post-10174255 bit from the web address it seems to fix it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but that breaking news about Hannah’s distaste for cows would have been impossible under the old system.

Did that thread get edited?

edlong
    Free Member

cornholio98

Quoting works fine for the body but if you copy in all the header etc and dump it in you get all the formatting popping out

Does it work if you paste as plain text rather than just pasting?

EDIT: Yes, it seems to. Why don’t people just do this?

Drac

Pasting links and images is easy.

Copy, paste. Done.

angeldust
    Free Member

That was second choice title for my new mag.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

EDIT: Yes, it seems to. Why don’t people just do this?

Because it’s not needed anywhere else on the internet, it’s there as an option but just not normal.

Drac

weeksy

Because it’s not needed anywhere else on the internet, it’s there as an option but just not normal

Is the correct answer. I frequent a dozen forums and have more than 50,000 posts on one in particular. None have the quote issues or the creative word changing of text that this place has.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No breaking news today then?

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m getting great ads for a “singles game where you always win” and “5 ways to date” or something. For that reason I’m happy with my free forum membership. Maybe it’s the fewer ads that’s making it so bad for those with P’s?

cookeaa

Granted, but the forum is still wonky months after it was supposedly “fixed” and there’s only so much blaming the users you can get away with before they start noticing that most of the rest of the interweb works while STW still doesn’t.

Drac

there’s only so much blaming the users you can get away with

Yeah as that’s exactly what has happened.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What about the logging out issues ?

3 times today, assume it’s some sort of remediation work.

Thankfully it’s not as painful to log back in again, unless you don’t realise you’ve been booted out and  about to reply only to see the “you’re an idiot, log in before we allow such missives from people like you”

Drac

Not sure Bikebouy funnily enough I got logged out earlier too.

Cougar

What about the logging out issues ?

Do you want the short answer or the long one?

STW hasn’t been able to replicate the issue.  It’s something client-side which is causing it, whether that’s your web browser or your workflow or what I’m not sure.  That is to say, it’s probably a forum glitch (and I have my suspicions as to exactly where it is) but the fact it only affects some people means there’s something different about the way you’re using the site compared to those who aren’t affected.

Drac

Holy shit you’ve just blamed the user. Do you realise what you have done?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, I’m cool.

I’ve long since stopped whinging about it, in the main because you are aware of it and now if you do get logged out there are (what seems seamless) ways of logging back in and it’s quick and pretty much like instant.

All Good here.

Cougar

I would actually really like to get to the bottom of it definitively.  It’s been a bug-bear for years.

piemonster
    Free Member

Holy shit you’ve just blamed the user. Do you realise what you have done?

Something that’s happened frequently but usually gets dismissed with a slightly patronising reply?

Drac

bruneep

scotroutes wrote

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Despite protestations that the previous version was riddled with custom bits of code that made it unserviceable, we’re now using a standard piece of forum software that has been custom coded to make it shit.</span>

bruneep

Ha the singletrack google extension seems to be working now

chvck
    Free Member

bruneep wrote

Ha the singletrack google extension seems to be working now

I took aracers changes and then applied some of my own to make things work with the new site (it’s a bit of a pain to deal with the new reply box) :). I’m planning on making it so that it strips excess html tags too and a few other temporary fixes.

RustySpanner

I know things you can only dream of…..🙂

Cost? Biscuits.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘‘Plus it can only mean something good is coming’’ is closed to new replies.