Home Forums Chat Forum Please recommend a family dental plan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Please recommend a family dental plan
  • mildred

I’m in the shit situation where we’re registered at a NHS dental surgery that doesn’t have a NHS dentist (they technically have one but they’re long term sick).

Im told that if I receive more than 3 private treatments I will automatically be taken off the NHS list. I can’t actually afford the cost of private treatment at my dentist..!

There are no dentist anywhere near me currently taking on NHS patients.

Anyway, the fact remains that I need treatment and my children haven’t had a check up for 2 years. So can anyone please recommend me a decent priced family dental plan?

jamiea
    Free Member

We were with Denplan until the dentist running the practice retired. The young lass who took over the practice seemed hell bent on alienating all the existing patients by insisting on all manor of unnecessary treatments, even suggesting our 9 year old needed braces!

We switched to a https://www.dpas.co.uk/ surgery and our daughter gets free NHS treatment with the same dentist. They were shocked that the Denplan dentist suggested braces for jnr.

fossy

Check with your dentist which plan they use – my mum had to change. It’s a huge con.  Only my wide has a dentist currently after our practice went private and expanded into cosmetic procedures –  botox and the like.

The only saving grace is my brother is a NHS dentist, so he can sort out any emergencies for us, although we aren’t on the ‘books’.

mildred

Thanks I’ll have a look at dpas.

Check with your dentist which plan they use

My thought process was if I go the denplan etc. route, my dentist’s policy is to take us off the NHS book anyway. This makes me think I should just look for a different dentist at the same time; little point staying at a dentist whose private prices seem at least 50% higher than other local dentists, which then (should) open up a bit of choice of which plan to use.

I’m of the opinion that my dentist is trying their hardest to ditch all their NHS customers & focus only on private. That said, their private prices are outrageous compared to most, so I do wonder what their long term plan is, or whether they’re just milking their customers for what they can get until market forces dictate otherwise.

pocpoc
    Free Member

We had similar over the last couple of years. The NHS denist that me and the children were with decided to go private (can’t blame him, if I had the opportunity to earn over twice as much doing the same job then I would, so I blame the Tories instead). I’ve managed to get the children in to an NHS one in a town 15 miles away but they don’t take adults. So I went to a different private one. £95 for initial consulation (which was just me filling in forms) and check up (only a bargain £60 for each ongoing check up). Which was just an opportunity to tell me I needed a filling for another £100 and a scrape and polish for £50. So effectively £250 for a filling and scrape which would have been about £70 in total with NHS.

Anyway, I’m rambling now. But there’s no way I can afford to keep going like that. I need to have a look at denplan (which is what the old dentist now is) and see how that stacks up.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m rambling now. But there’s no way I can afford to keep going like that. I need to have a look at denplan (which is what the old dentist now is) and see how that stacks up.

I am having a load of work done ATM after about 15 years of no dentist. It seems like the dental plan doesn’t save any money but spreads it out.

jam-bo

i have a family denplan with a local private practice, after our NHS practice got swallowed up by mydentist and rapidly went from not great to awful. I think its about £35/m for two adults and one child.

it pays for 2x check ups a year, 2x hygienist visits each and a discount on work required. its not cheap, and I’d rather it wasn’t necessary but it’s affordable to me, and my teeth/gums are in much better shape than they were with a more pro-active approach. Some of the work I’ve had to have done has been sorting out poor quality work done at the previous practice.

johndoh
    Free Member

it pays for 2x check ups a year, 2x hygienist visits

Yeah, we have Denplan too – it makes me laugh when they ask if I want to book a hygienist appointment when making my appointments. Of course I bloody do – I’m paying for this service, I’ll be damned if I’m not going to get everything I can from it.

dyna-ti

Family dental plan these days should be to direct one of those kids towards doing dentistry at university.

seadog101

We’re on Denplan, and have no problems with it.

Dentist is a Mr and Mrs practice, who have always been very helpful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.