Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Please critique my weird head
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Righto. I have a POC tectal helmet,size m/l.  I had decided to start wearing glasses due to teary eyes when descending and occasion flying shite in said eyes.

In the pictures, people’s glasses fit like this. Glasses under the straps, with the arms under the plastic bulgey sticky outy wings . Herein lies the problem.   My glasses wont fit under ‘the wings’,the wings infact press down on the arms of the glasses, making everything uncomfortable and skewwhiff

Are my ears in the wrong place? Are the sides of my head especially thick? I am thick? is my helmet the wrong size?

citizenlee
    Free Member

As you say, maybe you just have a weird shaped head…

rhayter

I’m not 100% familiar with that helmet, but maybe you’ve got it sitting too low on your head? Or maybe you just have a wider head than the model in the picture? Not weird. “Special.”

BenjiM

Do you have the same POC glasses? They may be designed to fit under the helmet?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Love Kryton so I’m cool with that  🙂

but maybe you’ve got it sitting too low on your head

See that’s the thing. it may be too low, but the arms should fit ‘under’ the wings. if i have it higher the arms of the glasses sit ‘below’ the wings, and the helmet doesn’t sit properly on the noggin it is meant to protect.

The helmet feels like it fits great in all other aspects, just wondering if it is actually too small

EDIT: yes same glasses (well, from Wish, so they have POC written on them anyhow !)

honourablegeorge

BenjiM

Do you have the same POC glasses? They may be designed to fit under the helmet?

This. You just need to spend £200 on some POC glasses for it all to work the same way.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

other glasses i have don’t fit either

Superficial
    Free Member

Some glasses have adjustable length arms for exactly this reason. Your glasses may just be incompatible?

EDIT: I missed a couple of posts. Perhaps you’re at the upper end of the intended head size for that ‘M/L’ size so your head is closer to the polystyrene at that point, rather than the gap being taken up by the adjustable occiput strap thing.

v7fmp

i have the same helmet. It fits like a glove. But some Melon Alleycats i had didnt fit with it. The arms were too long and rubbed on the arch that comes down the back, behind the ears (if that makes sense).

I think i need glasses with a rounded/hook arm rather than straight ones.

But i too have an odd size head. The POC helmet sits on my head, not dissimilar to that pic. And my previous Giro Montaro did too.

I tried a MET and a Troy Lee, and whilst they felt like they fitted, from the side, the gap between the top of my ear and the helmet was absolutely massive.

So umm… yeah, not really sure what the solution is?! cut the arms off and glue the remaining shades onto the front lip of the helmet?!

DezB
    Free Member

Simply a poorly designed, overpriced helmet. Send it back and get something sensible young man.

submarined
    Free Member

I too have a racy Rectal. Best fitting helmet I’ve ever had. However, it appears it’s not designed to work with any glasses at all, ever. I am now 203% more enduro and have a selection of goggles. Stops the watery eyes that plagued me, but doesn’t help the the road bike or canal paths. I refuse to rock the goggles there

tuboflard

I too have a racy Rectal.

More fibre in your diet needed I reckon.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@dezb  you are becoming one of them 🙂

as @superficial says, i think i may be at the upper end of sizing yes my fullfaces are both XL. Fit of the helemt may well be the issue, as some glasses should fit

I think i will try an xl poc at my local shop, and take my glasses too…

happybiker
    Free Member

I have a Tectal and for the first time ever none of my glasses fitted with the arms over or under the straps. Had to buy some Poc glasses to match which aren’t nearly as secure as previous Oakley’s or Specialized glasses.

submarined
    Free Member

FWIW, my potato head is also at the upper end of a M, as opposed to the lower of a Huge, so it does sound like that’s not helping.

nedrapier

I have a Tectal and for the first time ever none of my glasses fitted with the arms over or under the straps. Had to buy some Poc glasses to match which aren’t nearly as secure as previous Oakley’s or Specialized glasses.

I was thinking before I read yours that the only purpose those temple sticky down bits on the helmet seem to have is to get you to buy POC glasses!

nickc

The arms were too long and rubbed on the arch that comes down the back, behind the ears (if that makes sense).

Perfectly, I have a Bell Sixer and have the same issue with some straight armed glasses (Oakleys and Jublo), just didn’t want to play nicely together. Some cheap ones from DHB work pretty well though.

slowoldman

I have the same problem with Tectal and Evil Eye specs. With arms under the straps the specs fail to sit on my nose firmly and wobble around. Over the straps works fine but since I want the maximum possible security (if I lose/break my specs I can’t see beyond the tip of my nose) I prefer specs under straps. No such problem with a Poc Octal road helmet.

RobHilton
    Free Member

When I buy new glasses/sunnies I wear my helmet while trying them on.

I get weird looks, but only from those who can’t put 2 & 2 together.

BearBack
    Free Member

Do you have the same POC glasses?

yes same glasses (well, from Wish

So No then 😉

endomick
    Free Member

Tape a cut down covid face shield to it.
    I hear they’re shooting matrix 4, see if Morpheus has any spare shades 😀

garethjw

I’ve got a Tectal; Oakley Racing Jackets fit, for what it’s worth!

funkmasterp

Save money and just close your eyes on the descents. Rad to the Max or something

cojacal

I also have a Tectal helmet I really like, but the only sunnies I have found which fit are POC crave designed for it … and Decathlon £4.99 rock riders. Great price riding glasses from Decathlon, which is just as well as they are made of cheese.

Various other Oakleys Rudy project etc no joy with this helmet

YMMV

kelvin

Your head is normal… your helmet has a design flaw.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok good to hear I am not a solo Captain Oddbonce.

Some if the reviews mention troubles with glasses too.

The helmet is close to 4 years old and I did take a heavy stack on it last year, so probably time to replace anyhow. Will take some glasses to test it this time 😁👍

tlr

I have similar problem (different helmet). I cut a cm or so off the arms of my Oakleys. Sorted.

And arms over straps, always.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I loved the fit of the Tectal but didn’t buy it simply because it didn’t fit with my Oakley Racing Jackets. No issue with the wings, it was that there was too much brow coverage so the helmet rested on top of the glasses I already owned.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Please critique my weird head’ is closed to new replies.