Home Forums Chat Forum Petrol additive for a 1960’s vehicle, what’s best?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Petrol additive for a 1960’s vehicle, what’s best?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Recently got an early 60’s Renault with a 1100cc petrol engine. Since it’s only used occasionally and certainly not thrashing up and down a motorway (i.e. not driven hard), the general advice I’ve had so far is it’ll be fine on higher octane posh petrol (with less ethanol) and perhaps an additive, but which one’s best – Redex or something else? Anyone running an old vehicle with experience/recommendations? Cheers

FB-ATB

When leaded was phased out I used Redex with my Spitfires, but a few engine gurus said it wasn’t needed as the lead would have built up on the valve seats. So I then ran them without until their rebuilds (rusty bodies) with no problem. Only as part of the rebuild did I convert to an unleaded head.

One was in daily use and had a short 3-4 mile motorway trek. They were both used for longer journeys on the motorway in this time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To replace lead, then castrol valvemaster.

As for posh petrol, i usually get the shell, bp or esso basic stuff which both claim to have extra/double detergent in them. Not had any major problems, although my carbs have a leak i need to investigate but they were stood for 5 years so not entirely surpising.

Sui
    Free Member

As Tinas says. Don’t put extra adds in, they will likely form gums over a period of time which will eventually block filters and put a film on parts. Ethanol would be your biggest concern in an old vehicle but you have little options on this (excpet boutique fuels) and would be worth checking seals especially on carbs and ring packs. For those wondering what classic car enthusiasts do, they change these thinvs or run the vehicles on classic race fuels..

Inbred456
    Free Member

Millers

We use this with our classic mini’s. Excellent stuff. No valve seat recession.

Redex stuff is just sh!t to be honest. In my opinion it’s the motoring equivalent of snake oil.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Don’t forget you also need oil with high zddp content

joshvegas
    Free Member

Come on.

We’re going to need pictures.

Alpine? 4? Dauphine?

Edit: hmmm 1100… not an alpine then…

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like Millers one is worth a go, it’s an Estafette joshvegas:[

regenesis
    Free Member

Forum needs a Like button!
    That is cooler than penguin piss.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

SUPER LIKE!!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wow thats amazing.

Whats the plan?

redstripe
    Free Member

We got it for our business for local deliveries/collections, it’s not going to break any land speed records but runs really well, you can just about see the traffic jam behind you in the little mirrors too. Not the usual Citroen HY.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So its destined for work. Nice.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

So miller’s is an extra £15 per tank of fuel.
    Don’t know about the Renault, but I’ve seen prices of around £125-150 for valve seat rings on other cylinder heads so long as you take the head off and take it to them. My mini was only £100 for a new cylinder head. I’d look to get that done first

chewkw
    Free Member

I just use motorbike 2T as petrol additive for my Corolla.

For full tank I just add about 1/4 of a bottle into the petrol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Petrol additive for a 1960’s vehicle, what’s best?’ is closed to new replies.