Home Forums Bike Forum Parts-Bin DJ/Pump Track build

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Parts-Bin DJ/Pump Track build
  • dirkpitt74

So my Planet-X 25th Anniversary Jack Flash arrived today, along with some tyres and bargain wheels from @singletrackmind (thanks Rob!!).

The rest of the build is definitely parts-bin stuff though.
    I’ve got some 8 speed SRAM stuff to throw on, SLX cranks (converted to single ring), Shimano M365 brakes, Nukeproof bars, Suntour XCR forks and lizard skins grips.

Just waiting for a headset to arrive as that was one thing I didn’t have spare.

Not usually a fan of Tan-Walls, but thought the Halo’s looked cool and would suit the bike.

Pretty impressed with the frame too – seems well made and I like the industrial look of the head tube gussets.

Will post some more pics when I start building.

PiknMix
    Free Member

That should build into a nice little bike. It reminds me of my old Dr Jekyll.

steven904
    Free Member

I regret selling my DMR trailstar (10 years ago) so I’m now looking to get another pump track/dirt jumper. Im really close to ordering one of these Jack Flash frames, how has your new ride treated you? Reccomend the frame or should i look elsewhere?

nwgiles

don’t bother with 8 speed, single speed is all you need, and the derailleur with get knocked/bent/broken

keep it simple

steven904
    Free Member

Cheers bud
    Anyone else have on of the new Jumping Jack Flash 26″ frames?

bigginge

I just finished building up mine a couple of nights ago (OK, it’s not quite finished as I still need to sort the brake hoses and, probably, give the wheels a little love on the truing stand) but haven’t had a chance to get out on it yet.

It’s the first build I’ve done where I needed to use a 3D printer, angle grinder and blow torch which made it a little more interesting that normal.

null

Bigger pic

stevie750

It’s the first build I’ve done where I needed to use a 3D printer, angle grinder and blow torch which made it a little more interesting that normal.

Why?

What size headset, seatpost , seatpost clamp does it take , can’t see anything on the PX site

ThePerfectKiss
    Free Member

^Nice build using classic Fox 36 Vans, here’s mine, Octane One, with a mix of old parts and new where necessary…
    2007 Fox 36 Vans reduced to 110mm, Mavic 321 rims on old Hope Pro II’s converted to 10mm bolt in, Avid Juicy 7 rear brake, Easton monkey bars.
    Octane

Octane One Zircus

joshvegas
    Free Member

I regret selling my DMR trailstar (10 years ago) so I’m now looking to get another pump track/dirt jumper. Im really close to ordering one of these Jack Flash frames, how has your new ride treated you? Reccomend the frame or should i look elsewhere?

Want to buy a trailstar?

bigginge

@stevie750

The frame specs I got from chatting with one of the planet x support peeps are:

Seatpost: 27.2 mm
    Set Clamp: 31.8 mm
    Bottom Bracket: 68 mm BSA
    Headset: ZS44/ZS56

The 3D printer, angle grinder and blow torch were all used to drop the travel down on the 2006 Fox 36 Vans. I had to cut (angle grinder) and shape (blow torch, then more angle grinder) the spring to the right length to get the travel down to ~100 mm and then 3D print some travel spacers to stop it all extending too much when it tops out. The spring stack now looks like this (next to an original length spring):

Shortened Fox 36 Van Spring Stack

stevie750

Thanks !

b230ftw
    Free Member

I have one of the original first 100 Trailstar frames that DMR made, keep meaning to build it up into a bike but the parts I need I can’t afford right now.

kayla1
    Free Member

This forum needs a ‘like’ button.

tb927
    Free Member

@bigginge bike looks really good, what tensioner did you use?

bigginge

@tb927 it is an E Thirteen TRS+ dual ring chain guide.

I was planning to use a blackspire stinger as @a11y had on his build here . But, when I was looking for bits CRC had the TRS+ in stock for less than I could find the bottom bracket mounted version of the stinger for, so I went with that instead.

https://www.ethirteen.com/products/trs-plus-dual-chainguide

steven904
    Free Member

nice build bigging, when does the bike first see dirt/skatepark?

bigginge

Took it out to the forest today with littleginge with the intention of spending some time on the pump track there. In the end we didn’t make it as far as the pump track as the headset has came loose, possibly with me trying to jump off some tree roots near the car park. I suspect this says more about my building skills/attention to detail than anything on the bike so will get it sorted and try again soon.

Think it’s going to take a little getting used to though after riding much bigger bikes for a while now but seems promising so far. Definitely not the tool for chasing an eager five year old about the forest though; was crying out for a sit down and some gears after 10 minutes of following him, so will be sticking to my normal bikes for anything away from a pump track or jumps.

dirkpitt74

Not built mine yet – decided to order some better forks…..

So decided to upgrade the rear axle on the Superstar wheels I had to 10mm bolt through.

Also going single speed 👍

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Parts-Bin DJ/Pump Track build’ is closed to new replies.