Home Forums Chat Forum Painting interior walls – does expensive paint make a difference?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Painting interior walls – does expensive paint make a difference?
  • llama

The cupboard doors in my camper are lulworth blue get me

Spot quiz – which one of these IS NOT a F&B colour (no cheating):

Dead salmon
    Mint room green
    Radicchio
    Down pipe

tall_martin

Down pipe

llama

Down Pipe, a dark lead grey, has definite blue undertones to it which deepen the complexity of the finish. Originally inspired by the colour used to paint downpipes and guttering, it has been embraced for use inside the home with fanatical zeal! This daringly dark hue is fabulous as a background to art, and extremely effective for use in halls to create a deeply dramatic entrance to the home.

simon_g

Dulux trade is great. Your local Brewers or similar trade centre know the exact equivalents to any Farrow & Ball shade.

frankconway
    Free Member

I always thought that F&B should have ‘lion dung in the mist’ as part of their pretentious range – which is different to their standard range.
    More pigment gives a deeper colour and costs more.

halifaxpete

Dulux trade/Armstead trade are what I use 90% of the time. Used to be able to get F&B colours mixed in Crown/Mcphearsons IIRC

In regards to colours grey seems to have been the new magnolia for a while, especially 00a01 portland. Looks nice and modern though with white ceilings/woodwork

frankconway
    Free Member

It’s not about the colour match – it’s the quality of the paint, depth/richness of colour, quantity of pigment, durability.
    Sure, the commercial painters – jack tighe, fountains and others – claim they can give you the same quality at trade prices; they can’t.
    What they use is fit for purpose for their clients – who are cost focussed.
    Ooh, Krug quality at Asda finest prices; no, not really.

tjagain

Dulux trade for me. Worth the extra cost for its better coverage. I like the colour mixing service as well

theaccountant
    Free Member

Pointless using decent paint if:

– surfaces to be painted aren’t properly prepared
    – decent brushes / rollers not used
    – actual painting is done poorly / lack of attention to detail

I’m amazed by the number of people that use expensive paint but the end product is crap and could’ve been achieved by standing in the doorway and throwing the paint at the wall

bear-uk
    Free Member

Acrylic eggshell on all walls and kitchen /bathroom ceilings plus woodwork . Standard contract on other ceilings.
    The eggshell is washable and hard wearing. It is expensive but not as much as the dulux diamond paint.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Painting interior walls – does expensive paint make a difference?’ is closed to new replies.