Home Forums Chat Forum Outdoor Trousers (but not necessarily walking trousers) – recommendations?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Outdoor Trousers (but not necessarily walking trousers) – recommendations?
  • convert

I’m after a pair of trousers for outdoor use – you know the outdoor stuff that’s not half way up a mountain but not painting and decorating or digging a hole. I’ve got nice softshell walking trousers but they are a bit delicate and not super cheap. I’ve got mountaineering trousers/salopettes which are very spendy and I’d rather not trash them odd jobbing. I’ve got combat style trousers that just get wet and heavy.

Thinking softshell type but with full on reinforcement on the knees and arse. Capable of handling a bit of dreich and kneeling on wet ground and a bit of abuse without being sweaty or constricting. Not so spendy that you’d be too sad when you trash them before their time.

What you got?

crikey
    Free Member

Revolution Race GPX pants, or Nordwand pants.

CraigW
    Free Member

Regatta action trousers. Cheap and tough.
    Also a fleece lined version for winter.

bonni

Helikon outdoor tactical trousers. You can get them in synthetics or cotton. I’d recommend the former for your intended usage. 70 quid-ish. Bogs dollocks.

convert

Revolution Race GPX pants

I feel like these might be the winner so far though a little more than I was intending to spend (when is this not always the case). Never heard of the brand before.

Houns

Spendy but you gets what you pay for…Fjällräven Vidda pros

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Bit different from those above but have a look at alpkit jeanius jeans. Tough and stretchy though maybe not quite as waterproof as required.

crikey
    Free Member

…or Ron Hills in blue with a red stripe!

juanking

I pretty much live in Endura Humvee trousers, tough, stretchy, quick drying and comfy.

BadlyWiredDog

Haglofs Rugged Mountain Pant, used or reduced from eBay. Ridiculously overbuilt for actual walking / mountaineering use and stupidly weighty, but well made, heavily reinforced on knees, seat and ankles. Ideal for bona fide outdoor use only if you yearn for the 1980s and think modern kit is fragile and useless, but ideal for general destructive use as a result. Stupidly expensive at RRP but check eBay etc.

https://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/rugged-mountain-pant-men/p/604147-3UY.html?

onewheelgood

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro. Usually on sale somewhere, but pretty cheap even when they aren’t. Available in lined and waterproof too, but I can’t really see the point of those.

kirkg
    Free Member

I got some outdoorsy trousers from Keela’s factory outlet in Glenrothes over 5 years ago. Still in really good nick considering how often I wear them.

I’m going to try and get some more the next time I’m down that way.

tomd
    Free Member

Ronhill Tracksters FTW. Cheap, comfy and surprisingly good.

footflaps

Revolution Race GPX pants, or Nordwand pants.

They’re a new one to me, are they new to the UK?

BadlyWiredDog

They seem to be Swedish with an Alpkit-style direct sales model, sort of like Abba but in affordable Bear Grylls pants. New to me as well.

https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/content/4-about-us

mattbee

I’ve got 4 different pairs of RR trousers, a soft shell and a waterproof jacket.
    All really nice kit and not mega expensive either.

chewkw
    Free Member

Regatta action trousers. Cheap and tough.
    Also a fleece lined version for winter.

👆 this. I got one with fleece lined version. Nice, warm and comfortable. Less than £20 from TK Maxx. No much difference from other more expensive plastic trousers …

scotroutes
    nealglover
    Free Member

You are a 1980’s PE Teacher and I claim my £5.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, got that too. I bought 3 for less than £10 each. Very comfortable and I wear it as pyjamas bottom to bed during the cold nights. 😀

Why pay more for silly brand when the materials are almost the same … plastic.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why pay more for silly brand when the materials are almost the same … plastic.

Mainly because your pyjamas (the only acceptable use of RonHill Tracksters since 1985 other than actually running) don’t tick any of the boxes that the op mentioned would be ideal.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mainly because your pyjamas (the only acceptable use of RonHill Tracksters since 1985 other than actually running) don’t tick any of the boxes that the op mentioned would be ideal.

That reminds me to get one with blue colour as all mine are black colour. Very comfortable. 😄

nuke

Good old Decathlon trousers for me… these Solognac ones for £15 to be exact:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/steppe-300-black-trousers-id_8155549.html

Good amount of pockets, reinforced knees, thick enough to offer a bit of protection from nettles/scrub but not too thick to be ovetly warm. Spend quite a bit of my time outside around woodland, farmland etc and i have a couple of pairs on rotation: they have done about 4 years+ now getting used weekly through mud, rain, scrub etc

chewkw
    Free Member

Good old Decathlon trousers for me… these Solognac ones for £15 to be exact:

Good call 👍
    Even better at £15.
    Where can I get them in the north east as I need to try one on.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I bought revolution race in their black Friday sales and will be sending both pairs back. They’re not as long as I was hoping and having bought two size M it was disappointing to find one pair c2″ shorter in the leg than the other!

winston
    Free Member

Kuhl trousers/shorts are pretty much all I wear unless its a suit. Various weights but all bombproof.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tactical trousers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor Trousers (but not necessarily walking trousers) – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.