Home Forums Bike Forum Orbea Rise Fox 34 v 36

• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bens.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Orbea Rise Fox 34 v 36
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m looking at a 2nd hand M20 with full XT build

Stock for on M20’s is a Fox 34, not 36. This bike has a Kashima upgrade but not sure if it is still a 34 or 36 (don’t want to ask the seller too many questions at this point)

I weigh about 85kg with all kit. Most of my riding is wheels on the ground but I do like loose rocky big decents etc

Ive read some places the 34 isn’t beefy enough / flexi for e-bikes, others that it’s fine

Should it put me off the bike which otherwise is exactly what I am looking for?

Ta

kelvin

That’s a 36 Factory Grip2. One of the upgrade options when you order a previous gen M20.

Kramer
    Free Member

That does look like a 34, but not sure why you wouldn’t ask the seller.

Bear in mind that a lot of people use bikes on far gentler terrain than they’re capable of. For that the 34s are fine. For steeper more technical terrain on an e bike with a reasonable weight rider I think they’d struggle and you’d be looking to upgrade. I think that there was a PSA on here for some basic Fox 36s for ~£350.

bri-72

In my experience the rear of the rise is so flexy a 34 at least keeps things consistent 😀

seriously, I think 34 fine but no reason not to be happy if it’s a 36. I think 150mm is probably the ideal rather than 140 if that swings it.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I have been thinking about a rise too, have noticed you can get a new 2022 M20 for £4000 depending on size. Would need to be really cheap to consider a used one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have been thinking about a rise too, have noticed you can get a new 2022 M20 for £4000 depending on size. Would need to be really cheap to consider a used one

Thr one I am looking at is £3k with 100 miles. Fully XT. And fork upgrade. Warranty registered in July, which I assume is transferable?

The 140/150mm travel thing is a much cheaper change than 34 to 36.

I’ve looked at the new 2022 models and I probably wouldn’t buy a new M20 with the basic 34 fork and SLX kit

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I didn’t think warranty was transferable but if it is, you mean July this year and want the fork upgrade seems to be a good deal

The difference between SLX and XT is negligible
    <p style=”text-align: right;”></p>

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I spent ages cogitating about Occam 34 or 36. I wanted light and couldnt see any point in the 36, but bought 36 in the end as it was what they had in Covid. Sooo glad I did.

Cant see any reason why you’d get 34 on the Eeb version.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

TERMS & CONDITIONS
    This warranty is available only to the original purchasers of products who complete the online registration form for the bicycle or frame within 30 days as from their purchase. It is not transferrable to subsequent purchasers of the materials covered, other than the original purchaser. When filing a claim under this warranty, the user must provide a copy of the purchase document (sales invoice) for the bicycle to ORBEA or the distributor.

Well that categorically means I’m not buying one 2nd hand then! It’s basically a worthless bike 2nd hand even if registered yesterday 😒

felltop

Looks like a 36 Grip 2 to me. The 34 Kashimas on the Rise were  Fit 4.

julians
    Free Member

Yep warranty is not transferable on orbeas. Chances are you would need at least one new motor at some point in the next 2 years so that’s an approx 800 quid cost that you wouldn’t have if you bought new with a warranty. You will still be able to get a replacement motor without the warranty ,it’ll just cost you.

I think the frame is reliable,so I wouldn’t be concerned about no warranty on the frame,but the e bike bits are unreliable.

I wouldn’t say it’s worthless, but it’s certainly worth less without the warranty.

Simon

Frame bearings don’t seem to last long if my mate’s experience with his Rise is typical.

bens
    Free Member

As above, the back end is a creaky, flexy nightmare. It’s a (relatively) light bike so with a relatively light rider, 34s are probably fine. The thing that would put me off would be the 140mm travel vs the 150 on the 36s. The front end and BB are real low. Even with 160mm cranks I’m forever getting pedal strikes and that’s with a Mezzer set to 150. I definitely wouldn’t want it any lower

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.