Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Odd Rock Shox Motion Control Problem – locked out when 'open' sometimes
  • higgo
    Free Member

I have Rock Shock Revolution 29 Solo Air RLT (I think) that came on an On*One Parkwood. For a variety of boring reasons I’ve not ridden it much since I bought it but have noticed something odd.

It appears that at the start of a ride the compression damping is working the wrong way round. With the adjuster at max compression damping (indicated by the little padlock picture) the fork works normally but with the fork ‘open’ it’s virtually locked out. I can’t remember if it’s always done this (the first few rides I did when it was new) or if it’s just doing it now. To be honest I thought I’d misinterpreted the adjustment until, last time out, I noticed that by the middle of the ride, it had gone back to what I expected – padlock = ‘locked’ out, open fork gets full travel.

Apologies if I’ve got any terminology wrong but I hope I’ve explained it properly.

Is this a known problem?
    Is there a nice simple fix? Or does it need to go to off to be fixed?

devash
    Free Member

Sounds like the compression damping unit needs a service.

higgo
    Free Member

Sounds like the compression damping unit needs a service.

Is that a DIY thing or a send away thing?

I have to admit I’m hoping for an easy fix but expecting it to cost money.

teethgrinder

Half moon at t the bottom of the MoCo damper has moved. Whip it out and move it back into place with pliers. Job jobbed.

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll give it a go at the weekend.

higgo
    Free Member

Holy Thread Resurrection!

In my defence I injured myself last year before I had a chance to fix it and today is the first time I’ve ridden this bike since. Unfortunately it hasn’t magically fixed itself in the garage over the winter.

I see the advice above…

Half moon at t the bottom of the MoCo damper has moved. Whip it out and move it back into place with pliers. Job jobbed.

but have two questions…

1) Is there a nice (fool proof) guide on how to get to the bottom of the MoCo damper?

2) I assume I’ll recognise the ‘half moon’ (by shape) but will it be obvious what the right place for it is?

teethgrinder

Take off the adjuster.

Unscrew the MoCo with a 24mm socket.

Remove slowly and let the oil drain.

Look underneath.

Tech Article: How Rockshox Motion Control Works

That’s what you should see, model dependent.

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll give it a go at the weekend

(and hopefully won’t injure myself before the weekend this time)

RicB

Do you store it upside down?

My old RS revolutions used to have odd damping quirks and I discovered it’s when I was storing the bike upside down with the compression dial locked out. Presumably over time the damping oil makes its way through to the ‘wrong side’ of the damper piston

higgo
    Free Member

Nope, not stored upside down.

It does seem like something is somewhere it shouldn’t be until the fork has worked a bit when it starts to work as expected.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Odd Rock Shox Motion Control Problem – locked out when 'open' sometimes’ is closed to new replies.