Home Forums Bike Forum North Yorkshire – Get Orf Moi Laaaand

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • North Yorkshire – Get Orf Moi Laaaand
  • neilthewheel

What are the legal implications of taking some bolt cutters to a padlock on a gate across a legitimate RoW?

i think it’s illegal to “go equipped” and would probably count as criminal damage. IANAL

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Made me chuckle a few times reading your post as I know it all too well living around here.
    It’s a bit of a catch 22, ROWs and bridleways are sometimes really poorly structured, badly signposted and oftentimes don’t link up very well. As a result (have done some pest control work for farmers around here) you will often get a lot of frustrated tourists or walkers who say F it and just trapes across farms, I was on one farm a few years back doing some pest control work and I literally watched 4 walkers push and hack through a hedge and start trapesing across the crops to the nearest gate, as a result there is lots of “get off me land” farmers who immediately get up in arms about it instead of actually spending time signposting stuff like they should “private land, no ROW” signs etc. In that case it turned out the neighbouring farmer ha deliberately sabotaged the ROW and they’d gotten lost, when I spoke to him about it he complained about the sheep being in lamb in that field and not wanting them spooked by any walkers with dogs which I appreciate but also know he went about handling it the wrong way.

On the other hand, a lot of them aren’t helping themselves as they put these “private land, no ROW” signs up on legal bridleways and other routes to dissuade people entirely, I’ve come across a few routes I’m very familiar with, with a new tenant farmer moved in, the public bridleway sign removed and a padlocked gate erected with barbed wire and a private land sign.

It’s like eveything else, some farmers are fine as long as you comply with the rules and show respect when crossing their land, others are utter complete dheads who want no one on their property, legally or not.

martinhutch

What are the legal implications of taking some bolt cutters to a padlock on a gate across a legitimate RoW?

i think it’s illegal to “go equipped” and would probably count as criminal damage. IANAL

You are allowed to take reasonable steps to pass an unexpected obstruction, but carrying bolt cutters suggests foreknowledge and pre-planning, at which point you should be taking legal steps rather than direct action.

I’ve cut baler twine tying a gate shut (there was a perfectly good latch to re-secure it), and, failing that, a lot of padlocked gates can simply be lifted off the hinge. Doing that and leaving it propped sends the appropriate message to the landowner.

I’ve always found that N Yorks RoW Team are responsive when I’ve reported stuff.

13thfloormonk

A great example of divide and conquer in action. If the barbed wire is across a ROW good luck to them.

No, it was a singletrack footpath with a gate on the path. The fence marked the boundary between forestry land and private land.

To be honest though it’s in Scotland so not relevant to this discussion, just had to get my wee moan off my chest 🙄

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.