Home Forums Chat Forum non-fatiguing cars?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • non-fatiguing cars?
  • doris5000
    Free Member

Since long COVID, I find driving exhausting. Fatigue kicks in after about an hour and I’m completely done.

It’s also coming up to replacement car time so I’m looking at ideas for something that would minimise fatigue on motorways and A roads. I’m fine for a 20 minute run across town.

I think ‘non-fatiguing’ could include a couple of angles – bigger luxury cars, built to minimise wind and tyre noise, and newer cars with driver assistance like ACC etc.

I think noise is a big one for me – I can do a day’s work in the quiet of my spare room, but only half that in a busy office. But I’ve hardly ever driven a newer car with all the mod cons.

(Incidentally, parking round here rules out EVs, or anything bigger than roughly an S60).

Any ideas?

matt_outandabout

Volvo.

#endthread

sharkattack

I test drove a Superb estate with a dsg box a few weeks ago and it was like floating around in an armchair. I’m not really used to modern cars so I don’t have much to compare it to but I’d love to take one on a longer journey.

doomanic

Volvo, 5 Series, E Class, CLS. Basically anything towards the luxury/executive end of the market.

Or a Caterham; you’ll never fall asleep in one of those.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Definitely something with one of those adaptive cruise control thingys. I have a Mazda 6, super comfy (but no adaptive cruise control that I’m aware of)  I drove it 7 hrs up the motorway last week and it was exhausting. 

trail_rat
    Free Member

One where there are no other drivers on the road making you concentrate on the road ?

Klunk
    Free Member

stw losing it’s touch! audi rs6 init! ;) though I found a scooby the most effortless car “cross-country”.

timber

Merc E class for quiet and smooth.
    Had a V50 with seats you could sit in all day, unfortunately the rest of it was a bit disappointing and tiring.

mert
    Free Member

Volvo.
    I’ve driven across, up down and around europe in various Volvos, very relaxing and capable indeed.

Seats are still the benchmark by which others are judged.

daviek

Have to admit i hate adaptive cruise control but each to their own. It could of course be my VW thats the problem and not all cars with this.

Sandwich

I would respectfully suggest that even with a newer less fatiguing car you should be breaking journeys into segments to avoid you shutting down and being unsafe on the road. It’s an inconvenience but better than having to live with guilt if you injure someone close to you.

3 series BMW would be my suggestion as they’re relaxing to drive, especially with an 8 speed auto-box fitted and all the toys for cruise control, climate, auto hold etc. I suspect that other premium marques will be equally relaxing if purchasing something post 2016.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hard to say but I have found my experience with Mercedes interesting. At first you think ‘ok’ but then before you realise it 4hrs has passed and you feel fine.

There are lots of little things. There’s more range of adjustment in the seat and steering wheel than I’m used to – but it’s comfortable in all it’s positions I am not hinting the one combo that works. The whole car is more stable so you have to concentrate far less on correcting your course on motorways.

It was quiet at first, now I think the control arm bushings have failed so there’s more vibration than there should be.

doris5000
    Free Member

Have to admit i hate adaptive cruise control but each to their own

That’s interesting – would love to know people’s thoughts as I’ve never used it!

In an ideal world I’d cop a modern S class or somesuch, with all the trimmings. In reality I’ve got about £10ish K which seems like it’d get something from about 2013 with a decent spec.

onewheelgood

I’ve spent all day driving in my V60 (latest model), no problem at all. Shame they’ve stopped selling them in the UK.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get a CLS or an E class for that. But you’d need to pay attention to things like the bushings or the engine mounts. They are fluid filled and I guess provide a better ride but maybe don’t last as long or break down sooner than plain rubber, I don’t know. I’m on 98k.

ads678

I’ve driven to the Alps/Pyrenees/ Spain from Leeds loads of times in 2 different Passat estates, a Mitsubishi 4×4 pick up thing, a Ford Smax and now a Merc Viano van.
    I can seemingly drive the Viano for ever without getting tired! The bigger the better I reckon, get high up and you see forever. Cruise control is great as well, but mine isn’t adaptive.

airvent
    Free Member

Yes, adaptive cruise control is a big winner for me. All those little moments where someone touches their brakes for no reason, or drops in front of you then slows down by a few mph, or you want to change lane, overtake and drop back in front – ACC does all those without you needing to touch the brake or accelerator pedal.

You find yourself no longer having to react to all the little changes in speed and direction of others, which over the course of a few hours adds up to hundreds of instances.

No doubt someone will be along to say back in their day they had to climb under the car and change the gears by hand while driving etc etc

Other easy/cheap wins are cars without low profile tyres and/or stupidly big wheels (over 17 inch), taking your roof bars off when not in use, making sure tyres are inflated properly, and driving a bit slower!

doomanic

I’ve only tried ACC for a short time, on a BMW iX hire car and it was mostly OK apart from the annoying of trait of slowing down as you approach a car in your lane on the m-way meaning you need to take over control for the overtake. I believe some Teslas will perform the overtake if the situation allows. Given all the self-driving assist the BMW had it seemed like a pretty big omission. Still better than non-ACC though.

airvent
    Free Member

OK apart from the annoying of trait of slowing down as you approach a car in your lane on the m-way meaning you need to take over control for the overtake.

On VW cars you just hit the indicator and it knows you are going for a pass so hits the accelerator for you. I’d be surprised if BMW didn’t do the same.

doomanic

Sorry? BMW? Indicators? 🤣

airvent
    Free Member

Heh, was gonna make the joke but didn’t want to alienate half the forum

iainc

Surprised no one has said this already, an EV… the good ones are effortless to drive, you can have adaptive drive where it reads the road and slows down for traffic and corners, speed signs, or single pedal driving.

It is nice and warm, or cool when you get in it, and stays just as you want it, and it has enough tech to keep you entertained and relaxed.

BMW i4 here.

kelvin

The OP said no EV. Or I’d have recommend the same. Not least because regular breaks on motorway drives sounds baked into their post viral life anyway, so range anxiety less of a thing.

robertajobb

OP said not an EV.

and instead of being relaxed, they’ll be constantly stressed about how long before they are stranded with a flat battery.

timmys

the annoying of trait of slowing down as you approach a car in your lane

Adaptive cruise control that doesn’t slow down as you approach another car is available. It’s called cruise control.

doomanic

an EV… the good ones are effortless to drive, you can have adaptive drive where it reads the road and slows down for traffic and corners, speed signs, or single pedal driving.

OP has £10k….

mert
    Free Member

Surprised no one has said this already, an EV… the good ones are effortless to drive, you can have adaptive drive where it reads the road and slows down for traffic and corners, speed signs, or single pedal driving.

Everything except the one pedal drive is carry over tech from fuel cars…

kelvin

Let’s not do the EV thing over again, the OP explained why it’s not an option. Let’s stick to useful suggestions.

SaxonRider

I was going to say ‘Volvo’, but it’s already been said. I have an old XC90 with aggressive tyres, and it is a joy to drive on long trips. I have two kids in London and one in Edinburgh, while I live in Cardiff, and the CC and a good podcast, I could do those trips a few times a month with delight.

It’s also automatic, which makes it extra nice. My other car is manual (a Jag X-Type) and as nice as it was to drive, I never use it now in favour of the Volvo.

5lab
    Free Member

Adaptive cruise control with good lane keep assist. At the 10k end of the market I think Hyundai is likely to be the best system, can drive itself up the motorway for hours with no interventions as long as you’re holding onto the wheel. Worth checking it works before you buy, the vw system is awful in comparison

lesgrandepotato

E Class merc, big engine, automatic. Audio books and crack on. Used to routinely drive my e class coupe to Staines in a single run. I live in Cumbria. You need something effortless 

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bit out there, but Citroen really pushes comfort. Their suspension is based on some fancy rally tech, but adapted to be supremely comfortable. They have really gone for comfort rather than sporty (which is what the British public want).

RustyNissanPrairie

Another +1 for Volvo I’m afraid. I have 2 of them and an old Peugeot Partner (Berlingo) that I clack about in with the dog in the back. Every time I drive a Volvo my words to MrsRNP are “this is such a good car” – they are both old with 400k miles between them and still brilliant.
    Our V70 has done the run long run down to Perpignan many times in utter comfort.

csb
    Free Member

Got a tiny engined petrol Superb estate and the torque and gearbox makes motorway cruising effortless. It’s not fast, but motorway overtakes in gear are a doddle and visibility is, well, superb. Seats aren’t as good as Volvos sadly.

StuF

I’ve recently got a 10y old Merc e220 and it is effortless to drive, it just wafts along with power when you want it. An auto box makes things a lot easier to drive, doubt I’ll go back to manual.

Paradiso
    Free Member

A Honda.  There’s a reason lots of old people drive them.  Everything is light to the touch; switches, steering and gear change.

jimw
    Free Member

The most relaxing car that I have owned was an 2009 Audi A4 V6 Tdi on standard suspension. Quiet, effortless and good seats. My current car (VW Golf) has good seats and ACC but is noisier.
    I am also a fan of ACC, in flowing traffic it does make it more relaxing a once you learn it’s foibles.

tall_martin

I drove Nottingham to the south of France and back two summers ago in my 3 series. 15h 900miles each way over about 24h .

It was good. Tiring and not something I’d ever consider regularly/ yearly but less horrible than expected.

I went from a 2001 Octavia to a 2015 honda civic estate to 2014 3 series. I’m tall and the 3 series seats go back further. The civic seats fitted my back so much better. The 3 really fits when adjusted just so. When my 5″4 wife drives it she has to change 20 or so things but she finds it comfy as well.

garage-dweller

As a starting point something that’s designed for quiet and comfort over speed/handling/”driver dynamics”.
    It absolutely doesn’t need to be a luxury brand.  The three large Fords we’ve owned have been some of the best cars for ergonomics and long journey comfort. I don’t rate our Focus for this though too revvy.
    I think there are two things you can consider here.

1. Choice of a less fatiguing car, which you’ve picked up on
    2. An approach to driving that manages fatigue (if you don’t already)

I know it’s not directly comparable to long COVID fatigue but I have always done a lot of big hit/solo long journeys.  An advanced driver friend  pulled me up on a few things on a trip together about 15 years ago and rather than have a typically British reaction of denial and abusing them, their mother and their pet cat it was a catalyst for a lot of small behavioural changes when driving.  It’s now very rare I feel fried after a long trip (I used to before) and I think that’s down to being mentally and physically efficient in the car. I don’t “rush” a journey.  Sensible pace, good planning ahead, light braking and acceleration, stick to the limits, be tolerant and good natured. That dramatically cuts the stress and therefore energy expenditure.
    The stereo is often off when I’m pounding out a long journey especially on my own and I don’t sit there chatting on the phone either (I hate that).
    Sorry long waffle but in summary:

• Comfort not speed
    • Interior that isn’t like a dungeon (our old Audi) is a benefit
    • Auto is a benefit (although I’m in a manual again)
    • Something that doesn’t need the nuts revved off it  (our current 2nd car is like this and it’s not a good long trip car imo) i.e. something that has some low end pull
    • Make sure the ergonomics work for you – driving position and well laid out instruments and controls, plenty of adjustments all save energy/fatigue.
    • Remove as many distractions inside the car as possible
    iainc

robertajobbFull Member
    OP said not an EV.

apologies, didn’t fully read the OP, or the 10k bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.