No more canal tow path permits needed….

Home Forum Bike Forum No more canal tow path permits needed….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • No more canal tow path permits needed….
  • Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

I can’t wait to meet the fat fisherman who block the path with their bulk and silly poles who always greet me with ‘there’s no cycling here’ or ‘you need a permit to ride here you know’….. not any more dick heads !!!

Nice!

disco_stu

Next you’ll be telling me I don’t need one for Cannock Chase! 😉

bazwadah

I can’t say I have ever met someone on the canal that feel they have more right to be there than me. My experience is that it is the only place I have ridden where all users are equal and considerate. Heck, even the dodgy looking kids on mopeds say good morning!:-)

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

I can’t say I have ever met someone on the canal that feel they have more right to be there than me

You must have a different breed of fishermen to everywhere else in the country. A bit like car drivers, it seems that they think they own it ‘cos they have to pay to use it, even to the point of pointedly ignoring requests to move rods extended right across the towpath.

They REALLY hate it when you bunnyhop them. Very costly and fragile too apparently. 😳

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

I can’t say I have ever met someone on the canal that feel they have more right to be there than me.

Must be a nicer class of canal round your way. I get more grief on our towpath than anywhere else I ride, mostly from opinionated pretend ramblers in stupid hats. The fishermen must have had enough rods and poles squashed that they’ve learnt to keep them out of the way I suppose… 😉

Very pleased to hear the organisation in charge has stopped being so bloody daft about bikes. Perhaps they’ll even think about removing the unnecessary gigantic steel gates on our towpath at some point too, yay!

Junkyard

I can’t wait to meet the fat fisherman who block the path with their bulk and silly poles who always greet me with ‘there’s no cycling here’ or ‘you need a permit to ride here you know’

I had an excellent way of dealing with this
    one guy just refused to move his pole and got very confrontational with me and told me t f off and got quite aggressive.
    10 mins later i came bak in my narrowboat, stopped my boat where he was fishing with the engine running and asked him if he wanted a brew
    Very funny.
    I then moored next to him and pointed out he could not fish within 75 feet of me and left the engine running – his mood did not improve tbh

job done i did over react but he was an utter utter tool.

excitable1

The Canal & River Trust welcomes considerate cyclists to its towpaths and you don’t need a permit to use your bike on any of our towpaths. However, we would ask that you take a look at our Greenways Code for Towpaths before you take to the towpaths. Lots of people visit the waterways, for many different reasons, and everyone is entitled to feel happy and safe whilst they’re visiting.

Now that British Waterways has changed over to the Canal & River Trust you now no longer need to obtain and display a permit to cycle along the tow path. Finally I can take that big old cumbersome tax disc holder off my forks and ride free 😉 !

I can’t wait to meet the fat fisherman who block the path with their bulk and silly poles who always greet me with ‘there’s no cycling here’ or ‘you need a permit to ride here you know’….. not any more dick heads !!!

TurnerGuy

i did over react

when? I think you must have missed that bit out in your description.

Premier Icon andycs
    Subscriber

If they sat on the other side of the canal, they wouldn’t need to have those silly long poles. This would save them money and keep them out of everyone else’s way!!

mikeconnor

I can’t say I have ever met someone on the canal that feel they have more right to be there than me

That used to be the case with anglers here along the Grand Union/Regents canal and River Lea. Some could be really unpleasant.

even to the point of pointedly ignoring requests to move rods extended right across the towpath.

I just rode over them if they refused to move them. If they want to be inconsiderate, so can I. I’m not the one left with a broken rod though. The towpath isn’t theirs to obstruct. that sort of thing is pretty much a thing of the past now though, because so many people are using the towpaths. Now, it’s narrowboat dwellers with all their paraphernalia all over the towpaths! and police divers looking for bits of dimembered corpses.

bazwadah

There seems to be a lot of space both sides of the paths around Lancaster canal so I may not have had issues with anglers because there’s room to get by. Not a lot of big pole use either. Junkyard – 🙂 first time I have heard of a narrowboat being used as a revenge weapon. I approve!

Next you’ll be telling me I don’t need one for Cannock Chase!

I used to have a permit for the Chase, but dropped it and a Wallaby ate it . . .

i’ve never been asked for it since, so never bothered getting a new one . . .

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Canal rage!

😆

Premier Icon tonto
    Subscriber

I found a permit for cannock chase on the trail, now I have two.

If anyone wants a spare let me know.

daleftw

Junkyard – Member
    one guy just refused to move his pole and got very confrontational with me and told me t f off and got quite aggressive.
    10 mins later i came bak in my narrowboat, stopped my boat where he was fishing with the engine running and asked him if he wanted a brew
    Very funny.
    I then moored next to him and pointed out he could not fish within 75 feet of me and left the engine running – his mood did not improve tbh
    job done i did over react but he was an utter utter tool.

😆

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

Ooh, I like that Greenway Code for towpaths:

Keep dogs on a short lead

No ambiguity there; that would make my towpath rides a lot more pleasant.

Much rather have to avoid the odd (very expensive) carbon pole than the much more common piles of steaming dog sh*t.

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

That’s covered too:

and clean-up after them. Dog fouling is very unpleasant and is a health hazard

excitable1

For any dog walker who on the footpath or towpath gives me the line ‘you know you’re not supposed to ride bikes on here’ my put down line is always… ‘well you’re not allowed to let your dog foul the footpath either but I’ve seen a lot more dog shit than bikes on here today’.

Only had embarsesed looks of shame back from that one !

Kuco

As we call fishermen at work ‘maggot danglers’

acidchunks

I just rode over them if they refused to move them. If they want to be inconsiderate, so can I. I’m not the one left with a broken rod though.

yeah, break their toys! that’ll teach them to respect cyclists hate d1ck heads on bikes

face/palm

TurnerGuy

yeah, break their toys! that’ll teach them to respect cyclists hate d1ck heads on bikes

simple solution is for them to move their poles – they don’t have a license to block the path.

If you ride over their pole you have no fear of being chased down as they are nearly all overweight and unfit types who will form a drain on the nhs later in life because of their poor CV health.

Me, I might have pushed the bike past as a token effort but used my foot to move the pole if it was still in my way 🙂

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

No Canal permit here.

mattzzzzzz

As a MTBer and. fisherman I can see both sides of this argument, some carbon poles are worth more than some blingtastic bikes but it is irresponsible to “ship back” across a towpath when all you have to do is break your pole down by section and then bring the last three sections parrallel with the canal ,
    That way you are not getting in the way of other users of the towpath
    Just call them noddy as they hate that.
    BTW I dont use canals for fishing as it is too manmade for my liking – give me a wild river in the middle of nowhere any day

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Its handy to know that. I’ve never had a permit but always had a vague feeling that I should have on tow paths.

Its reall quite alot of path we are gaining and they often allow things to belinked with out resorting to the road…

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

I fish canals regularly,
    One sunny Saturday fishing away (making sure all of my equipment is neatly arranged parallel to the bank and had the waggler out rather than a pole) I saw about 10 folk on rather expensive bikes and made a point of saying a cheery good morning to each one.
    I think I got one grunt back in response from the 10 or so riders that went past during the day.

It would appear that some (not all) riders have already made their minds up in regards to fishermen and just blank you.

and all this talk of snapping poles etc, How is that any better than a motorist threatening to smash up your carbon bike? I could buy a whole lot of C256’s for the price of a pole!

oldgit

They REALLY hate it when you bunnyhop them. Very costly and fragile too apparently

You want a noisy Hope Pro hub, the sticklebacks hate the noise.

vegasdave

I’m a Fisherman too,always speak to them when I’m on my bike,most are fine,as are walkers/dog walkers,but there’s always one….

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Are they actually opening up the entire waterway network or just saying you don’t need to get the permit for the bits you used to need one for?

Junkyard

I thought you could ride anywhere for the last 4 years ish but with the permit- check their website?
    TBH there is no one to enforce it anyway so i would not worry

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

There’s one bit of canal round here with no cycling signs everywhere and a miserable arse who does his best to enforce it. Love to organise a mass ride on it to celebrate if it’s a blanket opening! 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘No more canal tow path permits needed….’ is closed to new replies.