• This topic has 128 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Nineties hip hop
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

There’s a trailer on TV at the minute that’s got ‘dont sweat the technique’ on so just revisited a load of hip hop from the time. Not seen the video before. Ticks a lot of hip hop video boxes! Lots of nostalgia. Here’s the ones I’ve been playing that remind me of those times. Just great beats. I’ve always said ‘glaciers of ice’ is my favourite hip hop song bit ’93 til infinity’ is just amazing. I’ve put in ‘casualties of war’ cos of the Funky drummer break

These aren’t necessarily my fave rap tunes, just what I’ve been playing last week

fingerbang
    Free Member

My mistake casualties of war is the amen brother break

grum
    Free Member

I used to take the train down to Manchester when I was 15 and buy hip hop vinyl in the era of Nas, Wu Tang, Gang Starr etc – I was obsessed. A lot of it still stands up really well.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Yeah it was the golden era. Just glanced at fine young cannibals thread and they put funky drummer to great use on on of their songs, I ain’t the man I used to be. it was in my head

I’ve not put any RZA or DJ Premier but era of great beatsmen

fingerbang
    Free Member

That DITC above is really good. I love the 70s funk soul samples (i.e. most of them!)

Remember having this on vinyl:

pandhandj
    Free Member

Still think this is a great track…

fingerbang
    Free Member

If you want some blaxploitation beats then this Pete Rock instrumental is on fire. With Deck’s rapping taken off

easily
    Free Member

I like this thread

p7eaven
    Free Member

Cypress Hill

Eric B & Rakim

pandhandj
    Free Member
    fingerbang
    Free Member

Talkin of cypress hill this is my fave tune of theirs. When DJ Muggs was doing his best RZA impression.

Instrumental version so B-real’s annoying but funny rapping is taken off

reeksy

Oh my goodness… what have you started!?

I remember having a tape from a Radio 1 show in about ’91 that had this on it. I was already well into Ice Cube, NWA, ICE-T, Run DMC, Public Enemy, etc…

I didn’t realise Slick Rick was British at the time, but this just blew the lid off for me.

reeksy

This came off an awesome album.

reeksy

So much good stuff. British hip hop was a bit sparse then, but i remember Gunshot:

reeksy

I swear it’s the incredible samples that make some of this still sound so fresh.
    Black Sheep!!!

reeksy

Had an American mate in the late ’90s who ended up my best man… we always referenced this song as he was not your typical American:

grum
    Free Member

I saw Jeru the Damaja live in Leeds yeeeears ago, it was brilliant.

Another classic DJ Premier beat with KRS ONE

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have you been on my youtube playlist?

TheBrick
    Free Member

TheBrick
    Free Member

No hip hop thread can be complete without one of the greatest ever

and

too many. Big L, Pharside, Beastie boys, Naughty by Nature, Arrested Development

funkmasterp

dumbbot
    Free Member

Ooh..good thread. Smoke ’em if you got ’em

Another Muggs production, great album….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Every time I hear a gas cooker I think of the moob deep shock ones tune.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Arabian Prince(N.W.A)…actually we booked him for a party in London about 10years ago. Absolutely shite, play a bunch of Blur and Nirvana…shite.

eskay

A mix I did a while ago:

2bit

Following on from Dumbbot above, the legend that is Afrika Bambaataa had everyone going WTAF at a gig many moons ago when he played a host of chart hip hop, pop & classics like ‘who let the dogs out’. We were doing visuals for the gig & so on stage with him & the tension was palpable.

Premiere related beats again

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

YESSSSSSSSS, this is my sweet spot. Used to love getting up at the weekend to watch Yo MTV Raps, which was probably terrible but perfect for 13 year old me. Remember hearing Headcracker by Double XX Posse and falling in love with it. Still maintain they’re one of the great (mostly) forgotten groups.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Also pretty sad that listening to Afrika Bambaataa is pretty difficult these days (I know he was more 80s, but still)…

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

@eskay did you post that mix last year? Feel like I might have listened to it before. Is there a track list?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Enjoying my Friday starting in a different direction
    And it’s time for me to dig out Hilltop Hoods.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yeah Hill top hoods! Introduced to them via this section!

grum
    Free Member

tommyhine

There’s a music venue in MK (MK11) that gets the 90’s hip hop circuit visiting pretty frequently. i’ve seen pharoah monch, charlie 2na and a couple of others there. always good fun

Simon Says falls into the 90’s just, that a serious song…
    Simon Says

eskay

@dirtylyle – yes, I think I linked to it on a previous thread. I’ll sort a track listing

chakaping
    Free Member

Just a casual fan really, but my taste in hip-hop rarely goes beyond the 1990s. A couple of faves…

2tyred

Late 80s pop rapper Heavy D managed to conceal this absolute banger midway through his otherwise poor Peaceful Journey album.

Some line up on this!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

skee-lo – how had i forgotten about that!

this was always a favourite in the early 90’s

BoardinBob

I follow a really good Spotify 90s hip hop playlist

razorrazoo

Great thread, can someone set up a STW Spotify playlist to save me the effort!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Nineties hip hop’ is closed to new replies.