Home Forums Bike Forum Newcastle locals – anyone for bike polo?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Newcastle locals – anyone for bike polo?
    thenorthwind

I played bike polo this week with a group who are trying to get a regular thing going. I played a couple of times years ago and forgot how fun it is.

If anyone wants to join, there’ll be another session at 6.30pm Monday 17th at the hard court by City Stadium in Heaton. There’s plenty of sticks, a few bikes to borrow if you don’t have anything suitable, and a nice group of people.

I’ll definitely be wearing pads next time!

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to play in Sheffield years ago. Really helps with slow speed bike handling skills and building up core strength. I’d find myself track standing on technical climbs where before I might have put a foot down.

Also great fun in its own right.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hardcourt or grass?

thenorthwind

Hard court

dlr

Hmm sounds like potential for utter carnage

I did however play unicycle hockey for years……..tennis court, ice hockey goals and sticks and tennis ball. Foul if you ‘accidentally’ put your stick in someones wheel or under it…..body armour useful

thenorthwind

Hmm sounds like potential for utter carnage

Yup, it’s a bit sketchy. But unicycle hockey sounds worse!

northshoreniall

Seen this on Facebook or somewhere, cant remember.  Would love to try it, especially as just up road in Heaton. Unfortunately,  it’s kiddie bedtime so doesn’t work for me 😔

thenorthwind

@northshoreniall pop down for a bit after? We were there till half 9 or so last time… Make use of the nice long evenings 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Used to play in Stirling on the grass at Kings Park.

Guy came over from Arkansas for a game. Thwacked the ball so hard it left a Nike logo imprinted on my arse !

Had some spectacular head-ons too. And cycling in on the road was always a hoot.

northshoreniall

That’s good to know @thenorthwind – if I can get sorted and muster some energy post child wrangling I will try – is it every week?

thenorthwind

@northshoreniall great! Seems to be ad hoc ATM. The guy doing most of the organising said they would probably mix the days up a bit since there’s always someone who can’t do Mondays, etc.

reeksy

How do you get the bikes balanced on top of the horses?

Or have I misunderstood?

northshoreniall

@reeksy – its horses riding bikes surely?

reeksy

Ah, sorry. That makes much more sense.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I played hardcourt a bit in glasgow.

Great fun. When its proper throw ins. Less fun when people try and form teams and take it seriously… Its hitting balls while riding bikes ffs.

Its ace for handling and “racing’s’rubbin” contact.

northshoreniall

Going try pop down at some point for next one, assuming small person remotely works with me for bed- wife has given the nod 👍

thenorthwind

Bump! Tonight!

I probably won’t be there for all of it but will try and get down for a bit… I’m planning our “wedding” party (actually got married last year) and a) short of time, and b) a broken wrist/collarbone/face would really not help matters at this point.

thenorthwind

With the increasingly ominous looking clouds and a few torrential downpours in the area, quite a few people seem to be having second thoughts… I’m going to admit I don’t have the time and energy today anyway, but will post up when there’s another date.

@northshoreniall

northshoreniall

Just back from nursery run on bike and thought similar- will keep an eye out for future

thenorthwind

Monday 1st of July, 6.30pm, same place. I can’t make this one either

@northshoreniall

thenorthwind

This Weds, 28th, 6.30 City Stadium. Last chance for balmy summer evening polo?* Need lights for the ride home now (note to self).

@northshoreniall (will stop spamming you if you come for a game ?)

*for me anyway, I’m away all of Sept

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.