Home Forums Bike Forum new zwift one hub smart trainer released.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • new zwift one hub smart trainer released.
  • racefaceec90

apologies if already a thread about it didn’t see one.

just looking at the zwift site as i am planning on saving up for a smart trainer so i can finally use zwift and saw they had released a new version https://uk.zwift.com/collections/all/products/zwift-hub-one?variant=44147381960944

i definitely plan on going for it when i have the money as it looks pretty good with the new features and costs the same as the previous version inc 1 year of zwift membership.

weeksy

I got the older one, it’s epic

dirtyrider
    Free Member

@weeksy does the new Zwift cog sort your limited gearing out? I know you was on a mtb at one point and struggling with range, seems like a little bit of a game changer, and I know they have said it’s open protocol, but realistically when will any of the other makers jump on?

https://uk.zwift.com/collections/all/products/zwift-cog-click-upgrade-kit?variant=44180608778480

DT78
    Free Member

dumb question, does it lock you into zwift or does it work with other platforms?

nixie

Reading the reviews you don’t even need the zwift cog for virtual gears. If you have a hub and their play controller then you can use those once the hub firmware is up to date. Hopefully the other manufacturers will implement support in their trainer firmware zwiftly.

@dt78 zwift only. 

weeksy

@weeksy does the new Zwift cog sort your limited gearing out? I know you was on a mtb at one point and struggling with range, seems like a little bit of a game changer, and I know they have said it’s open protocol, but realistically when will any of the other makers jump on?

No mate.. Not so i’m aware on my older one.

nixie

@weeksy, read the zwifitinsider review. Cog can be retro fit or if you have play controllers you don’t need it (just the firmware update). Should sort your gearing nicely.

weeksy

Yeah i’m not too worried Nixie, i run a 44T on the front and very rarely need the smallest cog, even then i’m only pushing a 65-70rpm cadence with it. I’m not strong/quick enough to need more.. That gets me 320w average, i don’t see a time when i need or can use more :D

dhague

does it lock you into zwift or does it work with other platforms?

For “simulation” riding, i.e. riding around roads, up hills etc. on-screen, then you are locked into Zwift which is the only platform supporting shifting via the cog.

For power-controlled workouts (ERG mode) you can use it with any software: Wahoo SYSTM, TrainerRoad, Xert, etc. will all be fine.

luper
    Free Member

Exactly. I have been using it with Rouvy and no issues with ERG mode at all.

garlando

I run a 30t chainring on my xc bike on the first version with an 11 SPD cassette.  Would I get better range from swapping to the swift cog.

Kryton57

It looks like the answer is “Yes”:

“To ensure consistency between bikes, Zwift Hub One is able to detect the gear ratios on your physical bike which allows it to set the virtual gears accordingly,” says Zwift. “It achieves this through a process called ‘real gear ratio calibration’. The trainer does this within the first few seconds of every ride automatically. Magic.”

In fact, Hub One calculates the real chainring size of the bike mounted on Hub from cadence and flywheel speed, and then auto-calibrates resistance.

Zwift says, “In addition to delivering benefits to those with multiple bikes, real gear ratio calibration offers new benefits to riders using smaller chainrings, like those found on gravel and mountain bikes, preventing those riders from spinning out on flat or downhill terrain in Zwift.

Alex

Interesting. If I do buy one, I’d probably stick my daughters’ (who lives away now) Solaris on there. I’d much rather ride the turbo with wide bars. Another tick in the cog box.

chrispoffer

I’ve got a Zwift Hub (the original one with a cassette) and Play controllers, I’ve been on hols for a couple of weeks and arrived back yesterday in time for my usual Thursday TTT. Did the updates on the hub and controller – and lo and behold virtual shifting had come to pass! Put my bike in a suitable gear for a nice straight chainline and worked out which buttons do the shifting (the black pads on the side of the shifters, outboard of the orange steerers/brakes) and I have to admit that I’m quite impressed with it.

There does seem to be a tiny lag between calling for the next gear and feeling it – but I guess no different to ‘real’ shifting for that. Did kinda forget which pad to press at one point and braked instead of shifting up but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Feels good to get additional functionality for nothing. Well, I know I’ve already paid for the Play controllers but, y’know what I mean. I’ve only got one bike that I use on the trainer so the cog would be useful but I can see how it would be good to swap over to a mountain bike etc.

Alex

Useful stuff, thanks @chrispoffer

I did think my cunning plan to run the HT is going to be fine with the electronic shifter widget that comes with teh cog, but I’m guessing those play controllers are drop bar only looking at their form factor?

scotroutes

People have bodged the Play controllers onto inboard bar ends, but they’re really designed for drop bars.

RichBowman

Could it be used with a single speed (maybe after changing the chain)?

scotroutes

Absolutely 

Kryton57

Mine arrived yesterday. The unboxing will be on Monday and likely I’ll be having a play on it Tuesday night. Will report.

Oddly – my brain works in mysterious ways- it never occurred to me that I could use my MTB on it. I’m slightly reluctant to do so though due to the cable rusting / sweat ingress the turbo- specific bike gets, even with a towel over (Scott spark with a 3 way lockout I need to be working ALL the time).

MTB shape workouts might be a small % increase in a training advantage from a physiological perspective.

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve added the cog and clicker to my normal Zwift hub. Cog is great if you want to switch between bikes, I however have gone back to the cassette to get a perfectly straight chain line and then I’m using the new clicker to change virtual gears. The 24 ratios are superb.  No being stuck between gears now and obviously an instant gear change without needing to ease off feels brilliant.

shame they don’t sell the clicker by itself as that’s all you need to start virtual shiting so the cod is just a waste for me.

Kryton57

I set mine up, and forgot my pc is old and doesn’t have Bluetooth so clicker doesn’t work.  Dongle subsequently ordered from Amazon….

Caher

You could use your phone to test?

Kryton57

Yeah the phone finds it and the firmware is updated, but I haven’t gone so far as to test it by using swift on my phone. I’m racing tomorrow and trying to save my legs….

It can wait 24hrs. Everything else is working fine though E.G. erg mode via the ANT+ and I did a calibration.

Rubber_Buccaneer

shame they don’t sell the clicker by itself as that’s all you need to start virtual shiting

Surely it’s just software so they could put a button in the companion app and you’d need nothing but your phone?

honourablegeorge

I’m becoming trainer curious, and with some vouchers to spend (which limits my choice a bit)

For a total beginner to the smart training world, is this the one to go for? Is the Kickr Core still a decent alternative – I can see it reasonably cheap, would be covered by vouchers with no need to spend more….

ratherbeintobago

The Zwift one comes with a year’s membership if that helps (I think)?

There are some reviews on DCRainmaker if you fancy falling down that particular black hole – looks like he rates the non One version higher if you’ve only got one bike.

FWIW I’ve got a Kickr Snap as I can’t face taking the wheel on and off and can’t leave it set up. This is fine.

Alex

I’ve had mine a couple of weeks. Replaced my 4 year old Elite Direto. Went for the hub as my mech is pretty old and wobbly and the cassette needed changing. Also bought play controllers. 

Virtual shifting is great, good spread of gears, power and cadence readouts way faster, stable footprint (not that I’m putting that much power through it), silent other than my manky drivetrain, play controllers are actually really good (had one issue with disconnecting but seem sorted now).

DC R review is good. I only use Zwift so wasn’t bothered the lack of compatibility with other apps.

honourablegeorge

ratherbeintobago

FWIW I’ve got a Kickr Snap as I can’t face taking the wheel on and off and can’t leave it set up. This is fine.

Yeah, not quite figured out which bike I’d use, I have lots of bikes but none I want to sacrifice for training, except maybe adapting my singlespeed roadrat for it

Can’t see a shop accepting the vouchers that does the Zwift, so Kickr or Tacx might be my only options

Alex

Additional: 5% discount if you’re a STW member. I forgot to add it, but Zwift were good enough to refund me after the event. I’d also just come to the end of my Zwift subs so the 1 year for free clinched the deal.

Kryton57

I found my Zwift click issue btw – I had the click connected twice – once to PC direct, and once via zwift.  

Alex

That’d do it :)

Kryton57

And yet maybe not.  The issue returned and after some conversation with the Help team Zwift stuck a new one in the post which I’ve been using for a couple of weeks with no issues. 

On another note which some might find useful, junior attended a Turbo “skills “ session today.   Without a dumb trainer, and only the Hub One to take, I was expecting him to be limited without Zwift, but it turns out when you connect a Hub One to a head unit you get a whole new screen with resistence controls, power etc as it connects.  Really good, meaning that when his session turned into some full intervals he was good to go without a “without gears” concern.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.