Home Forums Bike Forum New Whyte newness

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • New Whyte newness
  • razorrazoo

maybe opinions should be based on how the Whyte bikes ride, not just how they look (which is pretty subjective).

as I previously stated:

There’s far too many good looking bikes that also work well to pursued me to buy something that looks like that, no matter if it rides well.

I know it’s fickle, but for me there’s so much choice at that price point that I can have a similar priced and specced bike that rides well and doesn’t look like the aesthetic is an afterthought – an example already given in Vitus (who have conversely significantly raised the game in the look of their new f/s range.  It may seem shallow to some, but if I don’t like the way my bike looks I’ll never be 100% happy with it (however I also need matching tyres, valve/logo alignment and same brand finishing kit if possible).

Jamze

I must say, if I wanted to “buy British”, I’d be looking at the new Sonder and Vitus bikes ahead of these anyway.

Vitus is another company I’d never even glanced at. It’s just a name slapped on a shops own-brand product and they were always pretty ugly.

The new ones look mint. Properly desirable bikes with very competitive pricing.

I thought Vitus were originally French? Dunno if that’s still the case with CRC/Wiggle owning them.

argee

Whyte’s will sell very well, as always, they also have a good market in the C2W scheme side of things with their network, so will sell this stuff, basically because it’s decent and does the job, not the prettiest, but from a personal viewpoint, after owning a T130 it’s the geometry sacrifice they make to keep the frame geometry and pivot points that cause me to look elsewhere, with the top tube mounting of the shock it means standover isn’t as big as many others do (a huge selling point for me), and of course that brace to the seat tube to then get more depth for seatposts again reduces this.

chakaping

I thought Vitus were originally French? Dunno if that’s still the case with CRC/Wiggle owning them.

They’re about as French as Rene from Allo Allo now.

CRC bought the brand name and I believe they are designed by the same team that does Nukeproof now. Possibly based in NI?

endomick
    Free Member

Almost as ugly as those Boardman bikes but dearer.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I think Whyte had the colours sorted 3 years ago .. but please these new offerings are just awful .. Im sure the reviews again will be well sorted they always seem “Brilliiaaaaant ” when Guy gets to grips with them

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Titus El Guapo, unfortunately for Whyte.

cloggy

First thing I’d want to know is are they durable? Back in the day nothing matched their pivot bearings.

chakaping

I didn’t mean to sound too harsh about Whyte, the lower models seem to be decent VFM still and they have a good rep for how they ride and for durability. Just that there are more attractive options, for me.

The longer-travel models do look strangely tall and short considering they are actually quite long bikes though, eh?

sync
    Free Member

I always see the same complaints re Whyte.

1) Weight being on the heavy side
    2) Colours / Styling being less appeasing
    3) Niche / Market Positioning being behind the curve

All true, definately sometimes subjective but unequivocally they ride as well as or better than their competitors.

They do have a very solid and consistent rider base and most models still seem to sell out before end of season sales.

Personally, I’ve never had warranty issues left unresolved and they seem to have picked the better dealer network to sell through.

2020/21 prices have crept up and/or equipment spec isn’t as vfm as last season. This seems consistent across many brands though.

enigmas
    Free Member

I own an s-150c and I’m not sure if I’d own another Whyte. As others have said it’s a very hefty frame that lacks some of the small touches. The cable routing is a nightmare and also rattles, and I’ve gone through 5 sets of pivot bearings in 2300 miles.

It does ride really well but as others have said everyone else seems to have caught up. At the time very few bikes had short offset forks or a BB anywhere near as low, but nowadays everyone has similar geo. I’m also definitely going to make sure my next bike has 445mm+ chainstays as an XL rider, it really doesn’t make sense for all sizes to have the same stays.

mashr

cloggy

First thing I’d want to know is are they durable? Back in the day nothing matched their pivot bearings.

Kinda. The bearings are pretty standard these days, but they do offer lifetime replacements (not labour). So good, but not as good as they used to be when Mr Whyte was still involved.

sync
    Free Member

I always see the same complaints re Whyte.

3) Niche / Market Positioning being behind the curve

Really? The G-160 is still a big bike even by modern standards (475mm of reaches on my medium iirc), and the 9XX series are very progressive too. I’d wager that Whyte have actually felt they’ve had to dial things back a bit in order to not alienate the customer base (much like the majority of mainstream brands). Also difficult to say any long travel, 29er enduro bike could really be behind the curve.

PrinceJohn

Personally I gave up on Whyte after my T-130 ate shocks for fun – riding a bike where you know it’s damaging the shock every time the rear wheel compresses isn’t fun.

stevedoc
    Free Member

After two years on my 160 and having owned a couple of 905s the bikes were brilliant , sizing was spot on on the 905 at xl the large 160 was a tad to short in the reach but a stem sorted that. Never really had an issue with bearings apart from headsets which both failed after 3months . Im sure the new ones will be just as good but for goodness sake Matt green …like dried up mushy peas

heebyjeeby

I tend to agree that they look pretty naff but having previously been happy with the 905 properly went off them at the show at the nec when I asKed to see the s120 off the locked stand and got a curt ‘no’ in response.  Fair enough I thought but it was not busy and there wasn’t even any attempt to talk to me about the bike.  The individual in question couldn’t have been less interested…..

This contrasted greatly with most other stands and in particular ribble who couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful.

Certainly left me feeling cold to them…

muddipete
    Free Member

Been riding my S150 for over 2 years now with no issues whatsoever, great bike that rides very well.

As for Whyte bikes being heavy mines a shade under 32lbs which is ok for a Alluminuim 150mm travel bike not much heavier than some overpriced Carbon bikes with similar travel.

Clearily I’m in minority on the STW forum but I quite like the looks too, maybe I need to go to spec savers.

mashr

S150 doesn’t have the seat tube bend from hell, so you’re ok

enigmas
    Free Member

The ‘free’ bearings they supply for life have been out of stock for nearly a month now. I’d have had to buy my own if I wasn’t injured which is really frustrating.

The mech hanger for s-150/g-170’s has also been out of stock for at least 6 weeks. I snapped one and been checking the site ever since. If I didnt also knacker myself in the same crash I’d have been without a bike for ages.

Great bikes but the after sales isn’t impressing me so far.

mbt130s

Love my Whyte bike

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New Whyte newness’ is closed to new replies.