Home Forums Bike Forum New to Tubeless

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New to Tubeless
  • agis2012
    Free Member

I have recently bought a second hand Bird Aeris which I love after spending a couple of years on a Voodoo Bizango. The Bird came tubeless and is my first foray into tubeless tires.

Earlier this week I went for a long night ride and when I got back home found a wacking great thorn in the tire. Previously running tubes I would have pulled it out replaced the tube and with a lot of faffing got the tire back on. This time I pulled it out, lost about a quarter of the air, pumped the tire full and it has remained full ever since.

Is that now it? Do I just trust in the sealant Or do I need to patch the hole that the thorn would have left?

Also can any of you recommend a reasonably placed tubeless repair kit which I can take on rides with me?

malv173
    Free Member

I would think if it’s retaining air, it’s probably ok. There are quite a few tubeless repair kits out there, this one is only a fiver:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/lifeline-tubeless-repair-kit-hot678331/

Something like this that fits in your bars if you want to keep things out of your pack or whatever:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/lezyne-tubeless-tyre-insert-kit-upgl-1-mt-tblskit-v1/

malv173
    Free Member

Great choice of bike, by the way.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve left G One tyres on my Tripster after the sealant has fixed the hole. Nothing bad has come of it. They’re a pain to remove and patch, so its great that the sealant just works!
    I carry a Dynaplug to fix anything on the MTB. Have used twice and worked very well. Just hardly ever get punctures, so not patched a tyre in yonks. Last one was a pinch flat on the bead and even that worked ok.
    Dynaplug

dc1988

If it’s only a thorn hole then it will be fine, if it’s not losing air then it’s all good. Generally anything that needs a plug is too big for tubeless fluid to seal anyway.

igm

You’ll probably find when you do take them off that they have a sack load more thorns in them stuck nicely in place by the sealant and ground down on the outside.

rOcKeTdOg

I changed tyres after around 8 months and found 3 thorns in the front & five thorns and a nail in the rear, hadn’t noticed other that topping air up a few times. Gotta love tubeless, that’s potentially 8 times I’d have had to have stopped and replaced or fixed tubes. Tubeless is great for exploring new trails when you don’t know what state they are in. I was a tubeless sceptic but no longer.

igm

Just remember, those folk that say always carry a tube ‘cos you can always stick it in if you need to, have risen the same trails as rocketdog – they’d have looked a little silly or sworn a lot.

agis2012
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies gents. Looks like I will just leave the tire be and carry on riding it. Its great to hear as I had 3 ride ending thorn punctures last year alone.

Will get a tubeless repair kit ordered. That Lifeline one looks a steal.

agis2012
    Free Member

Also @malv173 you are quite correct. The Aeris is a great bike. I only have the 120 but its so much faster downhill than my Bizango its insane. Its also just as fast on the flat and actually Strava says its quicker uphill as well!

I am considering in the future adding a LT/RRR link and changing the airshaft on the Pike for a little more travel but for now the bike is quicker than me!

NormalMan

Agreed, tubeless really does mean you get to enjoy rides without thorns etc spoiling the fun (usually). In terms of tubeless kits, I have this one as it is really compact and nothing to rattle around etc.

https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-tubeless-repair-kit-150667.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New to Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.