Home Forums Bike Forum New Shimano brakes on Mondraker team bikes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Shimano brakes on Mondraker team bikes
    monkeyboyjc

Mondraker’s instagram showing some new Shimano brakes on the team bikes

But, more interestingly, any idea / conspiracy theories what’s in the canister on the back of the bike?

spannermonkey
    salad_dodger

Its probably a reservoir for spare brake fluid so they can be topped up automatically when the piston seals start leaking on the second ride.

thepurist

Sure they’re not Lewis brakes with Shimano badges on?

fenderextender
    Free Member

Sure they’re not Lewis brakes with Shimano badges on?

I think they are – the model name is ‘Redemption’ and the piston is the ‘Closure’ option.

howdoo
    Free Member

Is it a Energy drink holder?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Pinkbike reckoned they could be the new Saint last week?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotted-new-shimano-brakes-and-dh-drivetrain.html

matt_outandabout

Wee box on the back – is it Bryceland’s bike and he needs storage for da gange?

superdan

I’ve seen stuff looking a bit like that cylinder turn up on a few motorbikes on Instagram recently, I wonder if it’s a smaller version of the Oversuspension style resonant damper: https://hhrperformance.com/i-31637461-supreme-technology-oversuspension-for-the-bmw-s1000xr.html

woo levels appear unclear.

honourablegeorge

Fox had a patent for a mass damper a while back, might be an early iteration of it.

mert
    Free Member

woo levels appear unclear.

Minimal woo. It’s a standard solution across several industries. You’ve probably got half a dozen of various sizes in your car.

kimbers

Pretty mad that Saint Brakes are still winning world cups despite being unchanged in 11+ years!

When you consider that every other brand has been revamped several times since then and suspension gets completely overhauled every couple of years.

spannermonkey

On a different video you can see that they have the same mounts up on the triple clamps for another one. Not actually fitted to the bike but does seem logical is a mass/resonance damper of some kind

chrismac

Wouldn’t you want the mass damper on the from triangle of the frame to stop it moving around as much? Surely the shock is responsible for controlling the swing arm movement

matt_outandabout

^ that’s what I was puzzling. You *want* the swingarm to move as freely as possible.

mert
    Free Member

It’s likely there to make up for the limitations of the shock/shock tune, the mass damper is there to reduce the chatter from the trail.

You’d not get away with just bolting one on at random. The whole system has to be designed and tuned around it.

^ that’s what I was puzzling. You *want* the swingarm to move as freely as possible.

Only while you can control the movement.

kimbers

this vid here explains why they have it in F1 and I can see how that would apply to the swingarm

kimbers

and thisis how it works on the swingarm of motorbikes

chakaping

Pretty mad that Saint Brakes are still winning world cups despite being unchanged in 11+ years!

When you consider that every other brand has been revamped several times since then and suspension gets completely overhauled every couple of years.

And the drivetrain :D

Suspension performance and chassis compliance seem to be the big focus areas now.

O Chains, lockout buttons, tuneable stiffness seatstays… and I guess mass dampers count as comfort aids too.

So much more interesting than electric gears.

kayak23

Bit disappointed the OP didn’t use ‘Braking News’ as the thread title.

chrismac

mertFree Member
    It’s likely there to make up for the limitations of the shock/shock tune, the mass damper is there to reduce the chatter from the trail.

Surley the factory support from whichever brand of shock he uses might have a few words about the limitation of their shock :-)

On tarmac tracks I get you would want to use one as the main purpose the suspension is to enable the aerodynamic platform to work at its best.

mert
    Free Member

Surley the factory support from whichever brand of shock he uses might have a few words about the limitation of their shock :-)

The marketing team might, the actual engineers would be all over it as a concept. Get the shock to do what it’s good at, and get the mass damper to do what *it* is good at.

honourablegeorge

chrismacFull

Am sure the words would be “you know how we sell you a fork and shock today? ell, from next year, we will sell you a fork, a shock, a front mass damper, and a rear mass damper – yes, that’s four products you need for your bike, not two”

mashr

Kashima coated mass dampers landing soon

ampthill

Presumably the shock and spring have a natural frequency. So the system will produce larger travel at the resonant frequency. The damping in the shock will help with this. Presumably this can has a mass on a spring in it. This has the same resonant frequency it will absorb energy reducing resonant behaviour

You can see them on every powerline

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.