Home Forums Bike Forum New Jones H Bar

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Jones H Bar
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Well, after years of deliberating I have brought some.
    Got normal size grips, but do I tape or buy Jones ones?

Any thoughts, advice etc?

They are going on an On One 29er.

Cheers in advance

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use Ergons, and Cloth tape on mine.

Suits me well.

Jeff doesn’t approve.

rOcKeTdOg

Well, after years of deliberating I have brought some.

but did you buy them?

bedmaker

My setup is the Same as that ⬆️

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

They were brought to me after buying them…

tazzymtb

esi long grips for me, no bar tape as it hides the lovely carbon loopy bit

Jossie

Mine is the same too – on three bikes.

jameso

One thing I like about loop/H bars bis that I don’t need an ergo grip to be comfy – just a foam grip and tape combo on one bike, the other has 2 layers of tape. Tape on the rear extensions and centre only. Both work OK. TBH I’m not a fan of ergos, they feel fine at one angle but odd as the bike/bar rotates ie on steep stuff or moving around when it’s more technical.

letmetalktomark

On mine I’ve gone with ODI Longneck XL grips cut to fit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/odi-longneck-xl-grips/rp-prod74835

https://parano-garage.de/media/image/product/94914/md/odi-longneck-xl-grips_1.jpg

I then went with some bar tape wrapped as per the Jones site.

Will be using the same on a new to me recently acquired pair.

akira

Normal grips then taped up from brake levers works for me, don’t like the long foam grips as puts brake levers in too far for me.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Got them on tonight, they are beasts!

Love how the hand positions encourage you to not have your hands over the brakes, gears always, so you concentrate on handling rather than brake,change gears to get through things. Well that’s the view and thoughts from the sofa looking at the bike in the living room.

Any thoughts on angle? In line with stem?

whitestone
    Free Member

This is how I taped mine. Ignore the green lock-on grips, they were just there whilst I was waiting for some ESI foam grips to arrive. The gap on the front loop is to allow lights, whatever, to be fixed there.

Jones recommend an angle of about 10 – 15 degrees sloping towards the rear. All personal preference though.

I’ve just moved these bars from the fat bike on to a Salsa Spearfish. Depending on how this feels I might double tape the yellow part so I can rest my arms when in a tuck.

Jones H Loop bars

Cheezpleez

I tried foam grips but find Ergons comfier. Mine are taped like Whitestone’s. It took a bit of experimenting to get the angle right but they are great now I’ve got them set up right for me.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve got one pair with the long foam grips from 70’s racers on the extensions (4.99 for 2pairs) and brooks leather tape on the remainder (stupid amounts of money !)
    The other pair I have cut and extended oury grips, with copious amounts of black tressortex cotton tape on the remainder.

Struggle with pics

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Have always been tempted.bybanset if these, but perhaps the straight gauge due to cost.

What are people’s thoughts on putting these on a CX / gravel type bike? Seems like they might work quite well for someone who doesn’t get on with the reach of drops on this type of bike.

Is it with getting the butted version?

lexhorton
    Free Member

I had all sorts of wrist issues with them until i got them back to nearly 20 degrees then it cleared up.

too flat and I had bad pain on the outer edge of the wrist,

i do think theres a bit of an adjustment period with them.

tried ergons and esi, went with esi so i could move hands around a lot, keep brakes up by the join whilst loads of length behind, it’s a bit softer at the ends.

nedrapier

I’ve got the ong ESIs on mine, seems putting Ergons on robs you of the benefit of being able to shift your hands round. Having said that, I might cut mine down. It’s all very well saying shift your hands back/out for control from wide grip and effective short stem when you’re on downhills, but what if you can’t then reach the brakes?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I placed the gears and brake levers up next to, but not at the weld.

I have used a normal pair of lock on grips, then cut down another pair with the lock on bit butting up to each other, if that makes sense. Then used a Hope Bar Doctor to finish off and keep it al tight

I used PDW grips and cut off Renthals. Looks like a very very solid set up so far.

The bars are brilliant, I have suffered from numb hands and nerve damage, from something else. Done about 40 miles so far and very very comfortable.

dovebiker

I have Ergons on mine – ridden 200+ miles in a day with mine on rigid fatbike, no wrist problems at all as there’s no need to ‘grip’ the bars, simply keeping the hand relaxed. Mine are angled at about 10 degrees

bonzodog
    Free Member

I’ll be putting these on my 29+ soon but don’t fancy forking out £35 for the esi’s.

Which foam grips did you use Stedlocks?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I reckon my ‘bodge’ is the best way, means you can keep your trusted grips; foam is just rubbish. It worked really well the first time.

I did baulk at paying a tenth of the price for some bar tape as well!

whitestone
    Free Member

Hopefully I can embed more than one image per post.

Here’s the Jones bars on the Spearfish

I have them set sloping down at 15 degrees and the stem to bar clamp is around 90mm higher than the saddle.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve tried several different grips on my Jones bars, last year I rode the Divide using £4.99 (for 4) Clarks grips. They had a bit of wear and needed replacing at the end but had been on the bike for around 4000 miles.

I’ve also used ODI Longneck XL’s. Cut the flange bit off, they’ll need shortening when they’re on the bike. I’m back to the US this year and might use these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-sports-cycle-handlebar-grips/rp-prod71543

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/odi-longneck-xl-grips/rp-prod74835

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Sorry bonzodog, just seen this….as above, I use the clarks £4.99 for 4. I have found that it’s pot luck as to how long they last. When I buy them now, I give em a good squeeze through the packet! The firmer the better!

This current pair have been on over a year, but some have lasted till the first soaking….but at a fiver for two lots, you can’t go wrong.

I’m cheap too….

bonzodog
    Free Member

Aah thanks Stedlocks,

Just ordered the same ones.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Jones H Bar’ is closed to new replies.